PDA

View Full Version : Dennis Ritchie dies aged 70

Coney
17-10-2011, 12:10 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-15287391

Dr Ritchie was one of the creators of the hugely influential Unix operating system and the equally pioneering C programming language.

That is a damn site more important than producing variants of phones and PCs! The spin-offs to C, for instance, include PHP, Java and others, all widely used - probably even making this post work on GW.

LDG
17-10-2011, 12:12 PM
r

Marc Overmars
17-10-2011, 12:15 PM
i

Coney
17-10-2011, 12:18 PM
x

Flavs
17-10-2011, 12:54 PM
You know these threads, does anyone really give a shit? I mean really do you?

I think the last famous person who died I genuinely felt bothered by was Cloughie, Tony Hart got a slight twitch but it might have been wind. The next will be Rolf Harris I think, i will be near distraught when/if he dies

Syn
17-10-2011, 01:10 PM
You know these threads, does anyone really give a shit? I mean really do you?

I think the last famous person who died I genuinely felt bothered by was Cloughie, Tony Hart got a slight twitch but it might have been wind. The next will be Rolf Harris I think, i will be near distraught when/if he dies

Well I'm a massive judgemental prick so when a major person dies I go straight to the very credible wikipedia and check what they'd been up to. If I see no charity work, development work or any left-wing ideology listed, I forget he existed (i.e. going back to 30 seconds before I read the wiki article) and get on with my life.

I don't care for any celebrities, really. Actually, I don't see the point of giving a shit about someone who doesn't even know you (I'm the best footy fan ever tbf). You might wish them well and empathise but you wouldn't be 'bothered', no.

Get the feeling this guy was an academic expert in his field so I can understand people in that line of work/resarch like coney being interested. Maybe if he was a turtleneck-wearing douchebag more people would've cared.

Letters
17-10-2011, 01:15 PM
This site is hosted on a Linux server, if anyone other than Coney cares.

:rose:

Flavs
17-10-2011, 01:15 PM
I tend to get the feeling that just as many people comment to show they care and are nice as genuinely give a monkeys.

I remember when Diana died i was nearly throwing up at the outpouring of sympathy/empathy/blood curdling bollocks about her and how great she was. I bet at least 50% of folk didn't give a fuck.

I obviously couldn't comment as i was in Paris at the time recovering from the injuries i sustained in a car crash

Flavs
17-10-2011, 01:20 PM
Just while i am thinking about it, who are these people who came out to throw roses over the funeral car when Diana died? What the fuck is all that about?

People were openly crying in the streets. I mean what the fuck?

Letters
17-10-2011, 01:40 PM
My mum lol'd when they said on the BBC that the horses had been trained to have flowers thrown at them.

I did go up to London to see all the flowers tbf but I'm still annoyed that they stiffed us out of a public holiday by making the funeral on a Saturday

:sulk:

Marc Overmars
17-10-2011, 01:41 PM
I tend to get the feeling that just as many people comment to show they care and are nice as genuinely give a monkeys.

I remember when Diana died i was nearly throwing up at the outpouring of sympathy/empathy/blood curdling bollocks about her and how great she was. I bet at least 50% of folk didn't give a fuck.

I obviously couldn't comment as i was in Paris at the time recovering from the injuries i sustained in a car crash

:lol:

Marc Overmars
17-10-2011, 01:43 PM
My mum lol'd when they said on the BBC that the horses had been trained to have flowers thrown at them.

I did go up to London to see all the flowers tbf but I'm still annoyed that they stiffed us out of a public holiday by making the funeral on a Saturday

:sulk:

Come on you royalist, you cried yourself to sleep for at least a month after Flavs killed her.

Flavs
17-10-2011, 01:48 PM
Flavs killed her.

You cant prove that (believe me people have tried)

Master Splinter
17-10-2011, 04:15 PM
If Rolf Harris dies, I'll kill Flavs.

To even contemplate it has depressed me.

Master Splinter
17-10-2011, 04:17 PM
Also, you should leave Diana alone.

She is our third greatest Briton and touched some African kids.

Syn
17-10-2011, 04:19 PM
Also, you should leave Diana alone.

She is our third greatest Briton and touched some African kids.

:lol:

dazthegooner
17-10-2011, 04:46 PM
If Rolf Harris dies, I'll kill Flavs.

To even contemplate it has depressed me.

But then so did Pitt and Jolie plus Madonna :good:

Niall_Quinn
17-10-2011, 04:50 PM
I only worry about scum bags who haven't died yet. When Kissinger dies I'll have a party. When Blair dies I'll take time out to go and shit on his grave.

As for people who "did stuff", good for them, sad for the families they've died, personally I couldn't give a shit. I care about my own and everyone else can fuck off and... well, die.

Xhaka Can’t
17-10-2011, 05:30 PM
When Michael A. Jackson dies, that will be a sad day.

Marc Overmars
17-10-2011, 05:32 PM
I only worry about scum bags who haven't died yet. When Kissinger dies I'll have a party. When Blair dies I'll take time out to go and shit on his grave.

As for people who "did stuff", good for them, sad for the families they've died, personally I couldn't give a shit. I care about my own and everyone else can fuck off and... well, die.

What about Chamakh?

Niall_Quinn
17-10-2011, 05:51 PM
What about Chamakh?

Chamakh is shit.

Cripps_orig
17-10-2011, 06:22 PM
rip