PDA

View Full Version : Are Northerners more friendly than Southerners?

Joker
18-11-2011, 02:00 PM
You keep hearing from a lot of people that people from the North are more affable relative to people from the South. For example, they're more likely to strike up a conversation on the bus, say "good morning" to you while waiting for a train and in general are more willing to help out a stranger. While in London, supposedly a lot of commuters avoid eye contact, fail to hold a door open for others or vacate a seat for someone in need (e.g. a pregnant woman)

Is this simply an urban myth or is there some truth to this?

LDG
18-11-2011, 02:01 PM
Fuck off!

Cripps_orig
18-11-2011, 02:03 PM
Wouldnt know. Never been to the north. Heard its a shit hole and it probably is

Xhaka Can’t
18-11-2011, 02:06 PM
Wouldnt know. Never been to the north. Heard its a shit hole and it probably is

It's no East London that's for sure.

Flavs
18-11-2011, 02:09 PM
Yeah we are all chipper up here compared to you mean chimney sweep types

Cripps_orig
18-11-2011, 02:09 PM
It's no East London that's for sure.

East London :bow:

Its a shithole but its my shithole

Syn
18-11-2011, 02:11 PM
I think the more affluent the area the less friendly people are - in the sense that people keep to themselves.

London has become less of friendly/polite place because of the numbers of immigrants. Many can't speak English and even those that do, they are much less prone to acts of kindness or courtesy (e.g. giving up a seat on the tube for an old woman).

So I guess it is a 'political North' thing; I've found Portsmouth - though not in the North - to be probably the best place in the UK in terms of how friendly people are. Peterborough/Ely's another one with a fantastic community feel.

I am a fan of common courtesy/politeness. I always keep up my end of convention - holding doors, 'good mornings' and so on, and I really think everyone should.

MissHandbag
18-11-2011, 02:11 PM
Nah - friendly and unfriendly peeps everywhere - they make a better cup of tea though

Flavs
18-11-2011, 02:13 PM
London has become less of friendly/polite place because of the numbers of immigrants. Many can't speak English and even those that do, they are much less prone to acts of kindness or courtesy (e.g. giving up a seat on the tube for an old woman).

:lol:

Letters
18-11-2011, 02:14 PM
Smaller towns tend to be friendlier than large cities.
And yes I do think northerners are more likely to talk to strangers than southerners.

Which is why I live down south, leave me the hell alone :angry:

IBK
18-11-2011, 02:15 PM
I think the more affluent the area the less friendly people are - in the sense that people keep to themselves.

So I guess it is a 'political North' thing; I've found Portsmouth - though not in the North - to be probably the best place in the UK in terms of how friendly people are. Peterborough/Ely's another one with a fantastic community feel.

I am a fan of common courtesy/politeness. I always keep up my end of convention - holding doors, 'good mornings' and so on, and I really think everyone should.

I agree - I think that humans can be desensitised by their environment. So you might get a small town person coming to a big city who soon finds that their attempts at friendliness are shunned, so ends up keeping to themselves. Mind you my experience - coming from a small place to London - is that if you are friendly to others here they are friendly back. Can definitely be a vicious, or virtuous circle.

Flavs
I think its just the fact that most people in London are trying to get somewhere as fast and hassle free as they can, same goes in New York and Paris IMO

MissHandbag

I think in general there is a lack of courtesy - not holding doors open or (what really pisses me off) when I do I often don't get a thank you, giving up seats as you say.

But - London is a very friendly town and I don't care what anybody says. I regularly chat to people, get smiled at etc. Have lived in many other cities (including near Ely which was one of the most racist places at the time I ever lived though I don't get much of that now) and either found no difference or that the people are less friendly.

A certain amount of what I get back comes from me though, I'm friendly and it generally bounces back I find.

Syn
18-11-2011, 02:16 PM
:lol:

What? :unsure:

PGFC
18-11-2011, 02:16 PM
Knock on flavs front door at 2.00 am and you'll probably find out :good:

Cripps_orig
18-11-2011, 02:17 PM
Knock on flavs front door at 2.00 am and you'll probably find out :good:Cant northerners afford doorbells then?

MissHandbag
18-11-2011, 02:17 PM
I think its just the fact that most people in London are trying to get somewhere as fast and hassle free as they can, same goes in New York and Paris IMO

I find New York quite unfriendly

Found the complete opposite when I went to Paris for the first time in September. very nice people - I imagine me speaking French helped a bit but overall very friendly.

Cripps_orig
18-11-2011, 02:19 PM
Went to America to visit cousins. Walked around the block once and had these people saying hello to me.

Strange cunts. I was brought up to not talk to strangers

Flavs
What? :unsure:

The Daily Heil belief and subtle WUMming

Letters
I've found NY friendlier than London tbh. I'm quite a 'keep myself to myself' kind of person - classic serial killer type, you know.
But more people spontaneously spoke chatted to me in NY than ever have here.

PGFC
Knock on flavs front door at 2.00 am and you'll probably find out :good:

Cant northerners afford doorbells then?

I don't think they're electrificated yet :unsure: not met one friendly enough to ask.

Letters
18-11-2011, 02:20 PM
Strange cunts. I was brought up to blow up strangers

'king Muslims <_<

Cripps_orig
18-11-2011, 02:21 PM
'king Muslims <_<Better than Queen christians

Joker
18-11-2011, 02:21 PM
I don't think the number of immigrants has much to do with IMO. I've lived in East London and found the ethnic minority community more friendly than, for example, in parts of Kent where I've also lived and where the number of immigrants is much lower. It doesn't help that there was incredible hostility towards the London immigrant population back in the 50s and 60s which may has contributed to the segregation that we see in some parts of London especially.

Syn
18-11-2011, 02:22 PM
The Daily Heil belief and subtle WUMming

No WUMing here. I think it's true. I don't blame immigrants for it - it's what their used to. If you come from a working class background in Delhiabad, you're having to push people out the way just to get on the train to work. It's not that they're inherently bad people, it's just that they're not used to it.

Flavs
18-11-2011, 02:23 PM
I'm don't think the number of immigrants has much to do with IMO. I've lived in East London and found the ethnic minority community more friendly than, for example, in parts of Kent where I've also lived and where the number of immigrants is much lower. It doesn't help that there was incredible hostility towards the London immigrant population back in the 50s and 60s which may has contributed to the segregation that we see in some parts of London especially.

Best to keep such social elements away from us whiteys anyway to be honest

(See Syn i can do it as well)

Letters
18-11-2011, 02:26 PM
No WUMing here. I think it's true. I don't blame immigrants for it - it's what their used to. If you come from a working class background in Delhiabad, you're having to push people out the way just to get on the train to work. It's not that they're inherently bad people, it's just that they're not used to it.

They eat their own young, you know. :sulk:

Syn
18-11-2011, 02:28 PM
:rolleyes: & :yawn:

I guess should've known better.

Niall_Quinn
18-11-2011, 02:37 PM
I think in general there is a lack of courtesy - not holding doors open or (what really pisses me off) when I do I often don't get a thank you, giving up seats as you say.

But - London is a very friendly town and I don't care what anybody says. I regularly chat to people, get smiled at etc. Have lived in many other cities (including near Ely which was one of the most racist places at the time I ever lived though I don't get much of that now) and either found no difference or that the people are less friendly.

A certain amount of what I get back comes from me though, I'm friendly and it generally bounces back I find.

So you want the vote AND you want doors held open for you too?

Marc Overmars
18-11-2011, 03:04 PM
Nights out are much better in the north. Uni in Sheffield was a blast.

But I do prefer to live in the south now.

LDG
18-11-2011, 03:06 PM
Nights out are much better in the north. Uni in Sheffield was a blast.

But I do prefer to live in the south now.

:gp:

Sheffield :bow:

Also;

Newcastle :bow:

I've never seen so much filthy tarts in one place.

Apart from Winchester of course.

Marc Overmars
18-11-2011, 03:09 PM
Geordie and Scouse slags. :bow:

Must get.

Letters
18-11-2011, 03:21 PM
Liverpool is full of slags tbf

Master Splinter
18-11-2011, 03:34 PM
Well Phil Mitchell is a cunt and Emily Bishop is lovely, so yes.

Flavs
18-11-2011, 03:50 PM
Apart from Winchester of course.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VK17r6hN96k

Ollie the Optimist
18-11-2011, 05:35 PM
bristol is a very friendly city. when i first moved here, didnt know which bus i needed, asked a girl at the bus stop and she said she would ring her husband at home to get him to google it and told me the bus i needed.

Letters
18-11-2011, 05:37 PM
MrsL and me were impressed with Bristol last weekend, very nice city.

Marc Overmars
18-11-2011, 05:38 PM
I think Bristol is the only major city in the country I've never visited.

Need to go there at some point tbh.

Ollie the Optimist
18-11-2011, 05:39 PM
MrsL and me were impressed with Bristol last weekend, very nice city.

it really is, friendly and easy to get everywhere. in a weird sense its quite a quiet city, never feels like its always so busy but chilled

GP
18-11-2011, 05:55 PM
I used to date this bird who lived in Brizzle. She was a City fan.

Ashton Gate is a shithole.

Syn
18-11-2011, 05:55 PM
Bristol has an attractive population. #justsayingolliesbringingdowntheaverage

LDG
18-11-2011, 06:06 PM
Bristol has an attractive population. #justsayingolliesbringingdowntheaverage

:haha: