Rors
27-11-2011, 12:23 PM
What...?

WHAT?!

GP
27-11-2011, 12:26 PM
Wait...

Wales manager Gary Speed?

Former Newcastle, Leeds, Everton, Bolton player Gary Speed?

What?

Marc Overmars
27-11-2011, 12:27 PM
Just saw this on SSN.

Oh my god.

No idea what has happened yet.

RIP. :(

Rors
27-11-2011, 12:27 PM
Ian Payne (Leeds fan) sounds close to tears here on Fivelive

GP
27-11-2011, 12:28 PM
Suicide, apparently.

Holy shit.

Syn
27-11-2011, 12:30 PM
How weird.

I was a fan of his. Seemed like a nice guy.

RIP

Kaiser
27-11-2011, 12:31 PM
Can't believe this! Heard he was on Football Focus just yesterday. Was doing great things with a young Wales side too. Awful news. Condolences to his family..

Rors
27-11-2011, 12:34 PM
Yes, being reported as suicide....

Unreal.

Young Guns 11
27-11-2011, 12:36 PM
Jesus. Thoughts go to the family. RIP

Syn
27-11-2011, 12:38 PM
A spokesman for Cheshire Police said: "At 7.08am this morning, sunday 27 November, police were informed of an incident at Aldford Road, Huntington. Officers went to the scene where a 42-year-old man was found dead. There are no suspicious circumstances surrounding the death and next of kind have been informed." The spokesman added that man was found hanged.

KESSLER
27-11-2011, 12:40 PM
Shit

RIP :(

Olivier's xmas twist
27-11-2011, 12:47 PM
RIP, I totally shocked, my heart goes out to his family and friends at this time, and the young lada like Bale and Rambo,who must be devestated

Joker
27-11-2011, 12:50 PM
Shit that's really sad

Rors
27-11-2011, 12:56 PM
our game at Swansea is going ahead. Not sure if that's the decision I would have made, but it is a damned if you do/damned if you don't situation. James Collins has pulled out of the first XI.

McNamara That Ghost...
27-11-2011, 12:59 PM
That's awful.

:(

Olivier's xmas twist
27-11-2011, 01:00 PM
our game at Swansea is going ahead. Not sure if that's the decision I would have made, but it is a damned if you do/damned if you don't situation. James Collins has pulled out of the first XI.

Not sure most teams would want to kick a ball of the effort will be there, but i suppose the games have to be played.

McNamara That Ghost...
27-11-2011, 01:01 PM
No big intro for Sky's programme as you'd expect.

Syn
27-11-2011, 01:05 PM
Not sure most teams would want to kick a ball of the effort will be there, but i suppose the games have to be played.

I think a bit of common sense would've been used - the two managers and captains talking to their respective players and asking them if they're ok to play. If there aren't many who don't fancy it - like Collins - the game might as well go ahead. Although he was Welsh, I don't think he had a big connection with Swansea as a club. He was more involved with Cardiff from what I remember.

McNamara That Ghost...
27-11-2011, 01:11 PM
He was only on Football Focus yesterday, I mean, I saw it. Just shows you never know.

Xhaka Can’t
27-11-2011, 01:34 PM
I am genuinely shocked by this. We don't really know footballers, but from what I did know about him, he seemed really decent, and I liked the guy.

Sad sad news.

Syn
27-11-2011, 01:35 PM
Former Wales international Robbie Savage wrote on Twitter: "He was upbeat on phone yesterday we were laughing together , talking football and dancing he was a great teammate and a great friend #RIP."

Classic Savage trying to get in the limelight. "Oooh, what did you talk about Robbie? Why was he dancing?"...the great teammate and great friend bit would've sufficed. The muppet.

Olivier's xmas twist
27-11-2011, 01:38 PM
He was only on Football Focus yesterday, I mean, I saw it. Just shows you never know.

So true. We see them as players tbh, if we don't see their lives in the media we assume they are living a happy life.

Kaiser
27-11-2011, 01:58 PM
Telegraph liveblogging his death. Bunch of cunts.

Joker
27-11-2011, 02:20 PM
Telegraph liveblogging his death. Bunch of cunts.

Yeah I saw that. A new low for journalism as someone on twitter said.

Olivier's xmas twist
27-11-2011, 02:33 PM
Feels like such a hoax to me, even though its not

Japan Shaking All Over
27-11-2011, 02:59 PM
Just saw now RIP

saying no suspicious circumstances but reading on here, found hanging. . .cant believe it!

Master Splinter
27-11-2011, 05:54 PM
Just saw him on Football Focus yesterday. Very sad indeed.

:rose:

Rors
27-11-2011, 06:01 PM
606 becoming a "open forum" about him right now. Hope no radio-phone-in-warriors get on air...

Master Splinter
27-11-2011, 06:05 PM
606 becoming a "open forum" about him right now. Hope no radio-phone-in-warriors get on air...

Is Savage already there?

gunsofashburtongrove
27-11-2011, 06:06 PM
Just got back home after travelling the entire day and heard the new. Shocked. RIP Garry

Rors
27-11-2011, 06:06 PM
Is Savage already there?

He is indeed. Has already broken down once...

Coney
27-11-2011, 06:12 PM
Can't believe this! Heard he was on Football Focus just yesterday. Was doing great things with a young Wales side too. Awful news. Condolences to his family..

He looked fine on FF yesterday. Shocking to see the news today. I thought he was a decent guy.

Hard to understand though - he's been very successful with Wales and looked like he could really make a positive impact. Would have thought that would give him a positive feel. Still, I guess we just don't know what else might be in his thoughts.

It's a sad loss. RIP.

Coney
27-11-2011, 06:13 PM

:cold:

fari
27-11-2011, 06:33 PM

for real. one of my professors at uni did the same thing. i saw the guy on wednesday and then on sunday i heard he had hanged himself. very unexpected.

RIP Mr Speed.

Syn
27-11-2011, 06:51 PM
Hard to understand though - he's been very successful with Wales and looked like he could really make a positive impact. Would have thought that would give him a positive feel. Still, I guess we just don't know what else might be in his thoughts.

Feel ashamed for indulging in Savage's attention-seeking bollocks but he was saying how a couple of days ago he met his wife and how happy they looked and all that shit...had two kids, happy family on the face of it. All a bit weird. Would prefer it if the 606/5-live, cunts like Savage etc. didn't feel the need to invite speculation. Savage, Dan Walker from Football First etc. have been inviting more questions than answering. I hate this circus that follows a celebrity death. People don't seem sad by it; they're just excited to have something to talk about.

Coney
27-11-2011, 06:57 PM
Feel ashamed for indulging in Savage's attention-seeking bollocks but he was saying how a couple of days ago he met his wife and how happy they looked and all that shit...had two kids, happy family on the face of it. All a bit weird. Would prefer it if the 606/5-live, cunts like Savage etc. didn't feel the need to invite speculation. Savage, Dan Walker from Football First etc. have been inviting more questions than answering. I hate this circus that follows a celebrity death. People don't seem sad by it; they're just excited to have something to talk about.

Damn right. They'll be starting message board threads on it next.

Flavs
27-11-2011, 09:07 PM
couldn't figure out why the scouse and Mancs were wearing armbands then i read this on the text, couldn't believe it.

Leeds legend :bow:

Syn
27-11-2011, 10:03 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hMsNRMIHZQ&ap=%2526fmt%3D18

Syn
27-11-2011, 10:05 PM
Can someone teach me how to use the Youtube function?

I click on 'go advanced' and then select the youtube button and then copy and paste the url into it.

Where am I going wrong?

FML

(never lose perspective, I doesn't).

Syn
27-11-2011, 10:06 PM
Cheers Maccy. :bow:

McNamara That Ghost...
27-11-2011, 10:06 PM
Motd2 is on in a minute.

Also Syn for future reference, just click on the insert video icon and paste the link in to that. :good:

Cripps_orig
27-11-2011, 10:24 PM
Was genuinely shocked when I heard about this an hour ago on someones FB status. This is a player I watched from 1990 to his retirement and then his management career.

McNamara That Ghost...
27-11-2011, 10:29 PM
Absolutely no need for the last comment.

Flavs
28-11-2011, 08:28 AM
Absolutely no need for the last comment.

:unsure:

McNamara That Ghost...
28-11-2011, 09:17 AM
I edited a post.

server too busy!
28-11-2011, 09:19 AM
This is an absolute mystery, why would somenone in his position do this. He was doing well in a job he loved, had a wife and 2 kids and from all accounts he seemed in good spirits the very night he was supposed to have done it. People say it could have been down to depression but he was showing no signs of it. Also heard the scummy papers were going to print something about his private life. It takes a lot for someone in his position with kids to do something like this.

RIP Gary Speed.

LDG
28-11-2011, 09:41 AM
Horrific news really.

Like everyone else, saw him on Football Focus on Saturday. Was thinking how young he still looked, and that it was pretty cool what he'd done with the Wales team.

I'm sure there'll be a reason, but I just hope that the press can just let it be, and let the family get over this in private.

Kano
28-11-2011, 10:09 AM
whilst i understand that his friends etc all came out to praise the guy, its a little glossy to overlook the fact he committed suicide and abandoned two little girls who now have no father. why ever it happened, it will be hard to justify for that reason alone.

Marc Overmars
28-11-2011, 10:24 AM
It just doesnt make any sense at all. I know it's insensitive but I do hope some news as to why this has happened comes to light. It can't be nice for his fans, family and friends in limbo.

McNamara That Ghost...
28-11-2011, 10:45 AM
whilst i understand that his friends etc all came out to praise the guy, its a little glossy to overlook the fact he committed suicide and abandoned two little girls who now have no father. why ever it happened, it will be hard to justify for that reason alone.

Two boys. I don't really think now is the time to try and rationalise it, there's barely anything to go on (and probably what makes it so shocking) and that's why I don't think it's the right time (if it ever is) to reason why he did it. Plus, those people who are encouraged to talk in the media about it have only just had 24 hours to process it.

Kano
28-11-2011, 10:59 AM
good points, i guess anything filtered through the media is the worst way to gain a perspective.

Coney
28-11-2011, 12:26 PM
I just hope that the press can just let it be, and let the family get over this in private.

No chance. The scumbags won't be able to stop themselves raking it over.

Coney
28-11-2011, 12:29 PM
Is Savage already there?

A bit unfair, I think. He was a big mate of GS and is going to get the media/press coming to him time and again for misquotes quotes.

McNamara That Ghost...
28-11-2011, 12:38 PM
A bit unfair, I think. He was a big mate of GS and is going to get the media/press coming to him time and again for misquotes quotes.

I think Rors was just saying, yes he is on the show and he has already broken down once.

Coney
28-11-2011, 12:43 PM
I think Rors was just saying, yes he is on the show and he has already broken down once.

Fair enough.

A regular on GW could turn cynical after a while. ;)

Olivier's xmas twist
28-11-2011, 02:25 PM
This is an absolute mystery, why would somenone in his position do this. He was doing well in a job he loved, had a wife and 2 kids and from all accounts he seemed in good spirits the very night he was supposed to have done it. People say it could have been down to depression but he was showing no signs of it. Also heard the scummy papers were going to print something about his private life. It takes a lot for someone in his position with kids to do something like this.

RIP Gary Speed.

They will still do that anyway, thats how they roll.

Cripps_orig
28-11-2011, 03:13 PM
Watching SSN

Feel for Gary McAllister. Close to tears

Ollie the Optimist
28-11-2011, 03:20 PM
was at work yesterday and none of us had access to our phones until our lunch break. as soon as we all heard there was just a stunned silence. such a tragic loss. RIP

Rors
28-11-2011, 07:07 PM
Fair enough.

A regular on GW could turn cynical after a while. ;)

"turn"? ;) Seriously, no bother.

Rors
28-11-2011, 07:10 PM
I think MOTD2 got the tone spot-on yesterday - Murray was excellent - but Lawrenson came across as almost flippant about it (and even then couldn't resist trying to crack a couple of dumb jokes). To be fair I don't think that was the intention, he just isn't cut out for this sort of thing - I recall similar behaviour from him when George Best was ill/dying.

Rors
28-11-2011, 07:15 PM
John Barnes on Fivelive now.

Rors
28-11-2011, 07:24 PM
People were actually asking today - and I quote - "any more rumours about Gary Speed?" Call me a radical, but I'd rather wait for the truth if it's all the same to you. That's it's if our business at all of course, which it isn't really.

Coney
28-11-2011, 07:36 PM
"turn"? ;) Seriously, no bother.

:good: :)

Niall_Quinn
28-11-2011, 08:13 PM
Where did all the egg shells come from? I can barely put my foot down without a cracking sound.

Rors
28-11-2011, 09:21 PM
Watching Leeds United: Champions 1991/92 on ESPN Classic. Amazing - and not a little concerning - how much of this I actually remember! As If It Were Yesterday

IBK
28-11-2011, 09:42 PM
People were actually asking today - and I quote - "any more rumours about Gary Speed?" Call me a radical, but I'd rather wait for the truth if it's all the same to you. That's it's if our business at all of course, which it isn't really.

I agree - but wondering what hidden issue was behind this tragedy is fairly natural.

Marc Overmars
28-11-2011, 09:48 PM
From a psychological point of view, I think it's only a natural curiosity to wonder what could possibly drive a man to do this, considering on the face of it, he had it all going for him.

It's not nice to speculate but I can't help it if I'm honest. I'm certainly going to take anything the media say with a pinch of salt though.

IBK
28-11-2011, 09:49 PM
Quite.

Rors
28-11-2011, 09:52 PM
I agree - but wondering what hidden issue was behind this tragedy is fairly natural.

Sure, I have no problem with that. But again, my point was that the quote was specifically asking "any more rumours..."? I.e intentionally wanting to stock up on tittle-tattle, no doubt with the sole intention of getting a few extra Twitter followers. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but specifically requesting rumours doesn't shine the most positive of light.

Ollie the Optimist
28-11-2011, 10:26 PM

i agree totally. everyone wants to know why something happened. its human nature. if the rumours i heard are correct then frankly i wish i didnt know them. they are vile

Letters
29-11-2011, 10:03 AM
I wish the NoTW were alive to see this, they'd have been splaffing over this although I guess the good people at The Sun et al will rake over this for weeks.

Sad news, was watching BBC when the story broke and initially it sounded like maybe a sudden death a la Stephen Gately but then it emerged he'd taken his life. It's natural to ask why when on the face of it he had it all going for him. I'm sure the story will emerge in time.

RIP :rose:

IBK
29-11-2011, 02:40 PM
Footballer Joey Barton at centre of controversy after describing suicide as 'selfish' following death of Gary Speed
Barton bombarded with complaints... but instead of apologising brands critics as having 'half a brain'
Suicide counselling group brands his comment 'sick'

By Kerry Mcqueeney

Last updated at 10:27 AM on 29th November 2011

Comments (204) Share

'Insensitive': Joey Barton described suicide as a 'selfish' act
Footballer Joey Barton was at the centre of controversy today over comments he made on Twitter about the death of Gary Speed, describing suicide as a 'selfish' act.

Despite an outcry from other users on the social networking site, the QPR captain has refused to apologise for his 'insensitive' comments.
Welsh football legend Gary Speed was tragically found hanged at his home on Sunday morning in what is thought to have been suicide.
Like countless others, Barton took to Twitter to speak of his shock at Speed's death and to pay tribute to him.

He posted: 'Just hearing about Gary Speed, to say am shocked is an understatement.
'My thoughts are with his family and friends. Really sad news.'
However, his tributes were then swiftly followed - with astonishingly tactless timing - by his views on suicide.

More...20 years at the top of his game: The life and times of Gary Speed
Gary Speed 1969-2011: A devastating day for football as Wales boss dies at 42
Jamie Redknapp: Athlete, goalscorer and a rival I got to know as a Top Man
Gary Speed didn't argue with his wife and he wasn't depressed: Suicide footballer had a happy marriage, says agent
Giggs leads the tributes to Gary Speed as football is left in shock

The outspoken footballer added: 'Suicide is a mix of the most tragic, most selfish, most terrible (and I want to believe preventable) acts out there.'
As Twitter users bombarded Barton in an online backlash, the star - unrepentant - branded his critics as having 'half a brain' instead of apologising for his offensive comments.
He added: 'Feedback on here, small minority as usual strongly disagree with what I said. If they read carefully or had half a brain, they'd understand.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2067440/Joey-Bartons-Gary-Speed-comment-Twitter-described-suicide-selfish.html#ixzz1f6asCGXJ

He's right.

Cripps_orig
29-11-2011, 02:51 PM
Pretty much my thoughts on it as well.

Ollie the Optimist
29-11-2011, 03:15 PM
He's right.

yes and no. he is right in the fact that it is selfish as you leave kids without a parent, and if you jump in front of a train etc you ruin the drivers life too as they hit the person.

but if you are driven to suicide, its because you are ill, when you are ill you cant see anything straight. everyone seems against you and you feel as if you can do no right hence the reason to end it all.

Coney
29-11-2011, 03:27 PM
If Barton jumped in front of a train, I would not regard that as selfish - rather a repentence of his cuntish existence so far.

Letters
29-11-2011, 03:32 PM
He's right.

He basically is but is this really the time to be saying it in a public way which could further distress his family?

Syn
29-11-2011, 03:35 PM
Depression is pathetically over-diagnosed. It seems every attention-seeking rich kid is given antidepressants. But when real, depression often can't be solved by just 'manning up'. It's an illness. It's all well and good to try to rationalise the impact of your potential death when you're fit and fine but it's a pointless comparison.

In either case, whatever his thoughts about suicide, Joey Barton - as a footballer in the public eye whose comments are bound to attract attention - should keep his thoughts to himself. And that is the bottom line.

Cripps_orig
29-11-2011, 03:39 PM
He basically is but is this really the time to be saying it in a public way which could further distress his family?Is there ever a right time though? There needs to be some realism here. Bartons a cunt but hes a right cunt this time.

Ollie the Optimist
29-11-2011, 03:41 PM
Is there ever a right time though? There needs to be some realism here. Bartons a cunt but hes a right cunt this time.

you are right in the fact that there is probably not a right time but barton needs to get a brain. posting these comments 6 hours after the news broke? thats just fucking stupid, or he did it cos he wanted to cause a storm

Letters
29-11-2011, 03:44 PM
you are right in the fact that there is probably not a right time but barton needs to get a brain

http://mauiganic.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/irony-meter.jpg

GP
29-11-2011, 03:47 PM
He's an attention seeking dickhead.

Marc Overmars
29-11-2011, 03:48 PM
I agree with him to be honest. Speeds agent said he wasn't suffering from depression so it just raises more questions.

However it is quite insensitive for someone in the public eye to come out and say it while everything is so raw. That's Barton for you though, the cunt thinks he's some sort of philosopher with the shite he spouts on Twitter.

Syn
WWTL@WHL);69989]http://mauiganic.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/irony-meter.jpg[/email]

Whilst you are right in what you say, but is this really the time to make fun of Ollie like that? As a mod, I think your timing of this dig has to be questioned.

Xhaka Can’t
He's an attention seeking dickhead.

This.

Letters
29-11-2011, 03:50 PM
Whilst you are right in what you say, but is this really the time to make fun of Ollie like that? As a mod, I think your timing of this dig has to be questioned.

:lol:

:getcoat:

IBK
29-11-2011, 04:41 PM
Is there ever a right time though? There needs to be some realism here. Bartons a cunt but hes a right cunt this time.

Agreed. IMO nothing Barton says is going to make one iota of difference to the distress Gary Speed's family is feeling. I would be amazed, absolutely amazed if they are reading what he says. Which leaves the rest of us - and there is no reason whatsoever why Barton's perfectly correct views should not enter public debate. Whether depression is an illness or not, it is ultimately a selfish act. And we don't even know whether Speed was depressed. This is a tragedy for Gary Speed and his family - as is every case of suicide - but as a nation we need to get a grip...

Kano
29-11-2011, 04:44 PM
yes and no. he is right in the fact that it is selfish as you leave kids without a parent, and if you jump in front of a train etc you ruin the drivers life too as they hit the person.

but if you are driven to suicide, its because you are ill, when you are ill you cant see anything straight. everyone seems against you and you feel as if you can do no right hence the reason to end it all.
if you are very ill and have such responsibilities, then its a duty to get help, which by all accounts it sounds like he didnt. barton is right and as usual the world of football will close its doors and retaliate against anyone that deems to offer a level headed comment about a man that has now been elevated to superhero status.

server too busy!
29-11-2011, 05:05 PM
I still can't get my head around this, nothing would lead me to think he was depressed and it sounds like everything was fine with the family. The only thing I can think is a newspaper was going to print something about his sexuality. Thats the one thing I think anyone in football would struggle to face.

Olivier's xmas twist
29-11-2011, 05:44 PM
Barton is a knob we all know that but if this was some ramdom bloke who did it would we all be walking on egg shells.

Letters
29-11-2011, 06:37 PM
I'm not sure this is anything to do with walking on egg shells. I don't disagree with what Barton said particularly but whether his family happen to subscribe to Barton's Twitter feed (unlikely) or not, clearly his comments are going to be reported and won't be helpful to Speed's family.

Rors
29-11-2011, 06:50 PM
I wouldn't read too much into comments attributed to Joey Barton on Twitter. They're done by his publicist anyway (the quote from 'Still Ill' for example - not his doing)

Rors
29-11-2011, 07:00 PM
So his agent says he wasn't suffering from depression? How does he know? I doubt Marcus Trescothick's agent knew he was suffering from depression until he left the tour. No doubt Michael Yardy's would have told you the same. "Oh yeah by the way mate, I think I'm suffering from depression" isn't something I imagine most clients in the sporting world able to discuss with their agent. An agent for who most of the time is a complete stranger when they first get hooked up..

How do we know that depression - an illness remember - didn't strike Gary Speed for the very first time on Saturday evening and he had no idea how to deal with it? We don't.
At the end of the day, we can debate this all we like (and that's a good thing) but none of us have a fucking clue what went on.

GP
29-11-2011, 08:53 PM
Joey Barton is a dickhead.

GP
29-11-2011, 08:54 PM
I still can't get my head around this, nothing would lead me to think he was depressed and it sounds like everything was fine with the family. The only thing I can think is a newspaper was going to print something about his sexuality. Thats the one thing I think anyone in football would struggle to face.

You think he'd rather be dead than have people know he was gay?

Who would even care if he was?

I don't buy it.

IBK
29-11-2011, 09:24 PM
if you are very ill and have such responsibilities, then its a duty to get help, which by all accounts it sounds like he didnt. barton is right and as usual the world of football will close its doors and retaliate against anyone that deems to offer a level headed comment about a man that has now been elevated to superhero status.

Very well said.

server too busy!
30-11-2011, 09:32 AM

I don't buy it.

Look at that Fashnu guy for an example

McNamara That Ghost...
30-11-2011, 10:26 AM
Let's try and keep it unGWafied for once.

Letters
30-11-2011, 10:28 AM
Maccy. Tough on WUMs. Tough on the causes of WUMs

:bow:

Flavs
30-11-2011, 10:47 AM
Respect to the fans in the stadiums last night for observing the tributes, the outside of Elland road is covered in tributes to his as well.

One thing i'm surprised is that no-one has pointed out that since phone hacking has come into the public's view things like this remain private. I would have expected the NOTW to have been straight onto Speed's wife phone trying to find out why he did it.

Olivier's xmas twist
30-11-2011, 11:20 AM

I don't buy it.

Got to agree with GP tbh, in this day and age, nobody would have cared if he was gay, and it would be no ones buisness but his wife and kids and his family and him.

Olivier's xmas twist
30-11-2011, 11:21 AM
Look at that Fashnu guy for an example

That was a diffrent day and age though, when even the common man could have done that foe fear of not being acceped.

server too busy!
30-11-2011, 12:03 PM
That was a diffrent day and age though, when even the common man could have done that foe fear of not being acceped.

So how many gay footballers have come forward in this day and age?

Kano
30-11-2011, 12:26 PM
So how many gay footballers have come forward in this day and age?

none, which says a lot about the idiocy and ignorance of the football world and fans. if gareth thomas can come out and be accepted then it should be the same in footie

server too busy!
30-11-2011, 12:47 PM
none, which says a lot about the idiocy and ignorance of the football world and fans. if gareth thomas can come out and be accepted then it should be the same in footie

Yes no-one is disputing that, but looking at the vile hate Sol Campbell got I can't imagine that'll be happening anytime soon.

Flavs
30-11-2011, 12:53 PM
sorry Maccy :(

McNamara That Ghost...
30-11-2011, 01:39 PM
And another post that needs deleting.

McNamara That Ghost...
30-11-2011, 01:56 PM
Open a different thread if you really must.

Ernesto
30-11-2011, 03:42 PM
It's a bit hard to stomach when it's a player you've known and who you've watched growing up.

It's genuinely rather difficult to accept Gary Speed's premature death. Condolences to his family, he will be sorely missed.

RIP

IBK
30-11-2011, 05:54 PM
@ the Mods

Just out of interest why is it unacceptable to make jokes about GS's death but acceptable to make jokes/derogatory comments over, say, Amy Winehouse's or Michael Jackson's deaths?

GB replies - I haven't removed any posts. But I would guess that because this is a football forum and we are dealing with a situation that people would likely have more of an emotional attachment to what has happened to Gary Speed. Likewise, I suspect I would not be looked upon too favorably if I was on a MJ forum or related music forum and proceeded to make jokes about his death.

You asked a perfectly valid question and I hope I've answered it satisfactorily for you. If not, could you please ask further follow-up Qs in the Feedback section? --> http://www.goonersweb.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=27

McNamara That Ghost...
30-11-2011, 06:08 PM
Sub, there was a specific thread opened for Michael Jackson jokes (at least on the old GW). I've said you can do the same for this, if you really want. I can't say I remember reading the MJ thread much/if at all on here (presumably for the trial).

General Chat is going to have more rambles in it, it's General Chat - I don't think it should spread to every other section though, all the time, especially the football specific ones.

IBK
01-12-2011, 11:42 AM
Fair enough - both valid answers. :good:

Letters
08-12-2011, 11:20 AM
Wow. Just had an email saying:

"Gary Speed's story has been uncovered and will hit the press soon - apparently Duncan Ferguson had been sleeping with his wife for 13 years and one of Speed's boys was actually Ferguson's. He never knew until his wife told him recently..."

:popcorn:

LDG
08-12-2011, 11:25 AM
That's fucking sick.

Cripps_orig
08-12-2011, 11:54 AM
If true, Ferguson, the bint and the kid should be stoned

Cripps_orig
30-01-2012, 05:11 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-16760925

Louise Speed said she had gone for a drive after they had words when they returned from a dinner party, but she could not get back into the house.

Four days earlier Speed sent his wife a text talking "in terms of taking his life",

Also BBCs headline

Speed's death 'may have been accidental'

How does one accidentally hang themselves?

Coney
30-01-2012, 05:29 PM

They make loads of WUM posts and get lynched.

Rors
30-01-2012, 05:35 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-16760925

Also BBCs headline

It means there isn't a cast-iron guarantee it was intended. Based on the fact there was no note, and that the text discussion took place a full four days' earlier, inquest could not be certain it was open-and-shut suicide. The latter is still what I -and I would imagine most people - believe, and the word "may" suggests it's probably what the officials believe too. All that bollocks about "being outed by The Sun"/"child not his"/"14 year standing affair"/"Duncan Ferguson love triangle" can now be put to bed too, thank goodness.