Page 3212 of 3212 FirstFirst ... 22122712311231623202321032113212
Results 32,111 to 32,112 of 32112

Thread: "Currants Bw..."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HCZ_Reborn View Post
    You’ll be surprised to hear that when people are already struggling with wages that they probably don’t want to lose even more take home pay.

Paying more taxes is not going to have an effect on utility bills either.

Taxes of course will have to go up, the Tories have been doing it by stealth and Labour when it gets in will have no choice but to do so….but yeah I can totally understand why most people don’t want to pay more Tax. I’m just naive enough to think politicians should be honest with us even if the honesty is negatively received
    I think I saw a stat which said we pay less tax per head than many nations

but it's without doubt the rich should be taxed more heavily to ease the burden on others, anyway the point he's making is that tax isn't inherently evil and it's a mistake for politicians to imply otherwise

https://ifs.org.uk/taxlab/taxlab-key...nternationally

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mac76 View Post
    I think I saw a stat which said we pay less tax per head than many nations

but it's without doubt the rich should be taxed more heavily to ease the burden on others, anyway the point he's making is that tax isn't inherently evil and it's a mistake for politicians to imply otherwise

https://ifs.org.uk/taxlab/taxlab-key...nternationally
    Again Tax the Rich is superficially popular because it means for most of us, Tax someone who isn’t me

But again it depends how you’re defining rich. I think the vast majority of people who id consider rich don’t make their money from fixed income so pledging to put up income tax in any form is often about as popular as herpes

Putting up VAT is fine when you’ve got a consumer boom

Corporation Tax? Well I’m not sure that’s a great idea in a stagnant economy where you want to encourage growth

Capital Gains? Well does make you wonder if Labour will end a lot of the loopholes which means a lot of capital gains are offshore and untaxed.

But in reality the sensible thing is to create growth and then put up tax to pay back the money you’ve already invested. Which means you need to borrow, and you of course need to target your investment otherwise unfocused quantative easing just puts us back to square one with inflation

Basically there’s no easy answers and certainly none that can be hit upon in the five year lifetime of a parliament, and politicians usually are not incentivised to take the tough decisions which cause short term pain but long term gain
    Last edited by HCZ_Reborn; Today at 02:56 PM.