Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Your favourite Arsenal trophy

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Your favourite Arsenal trophy

FA Cup in ’93, for me.

Anfield ’89 should have trumped it (you’re never going to beat a last minute title winner) except back then I wasn’t really as big a Gooner as I would become – it was actually that evening that made me into one.

I think it’s my favourite because it was the era when I cared most about football and because of the last minute goal.
    That moment, that moment when you knew you’d won the Cup. That back 5 weren’t going to do anything silly and there was no time for them to anyway. We just knew we’d won it. It was my first FA Cup Final (well, it was a replay but arguably part of the same final) at the old Wembley.

Fantastic evening.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the 98 cup win to seal the double will always resonate close to me because it was my first experience of Arsenal winning trophies and I went to the final.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, that one was pretty special too. I did a Beatles walking tour of London that morning then went on to the Final. The carriage I got on was full of barcodes who were actually very nice. I remember saying to a couple of them how amazing it would be if we could do the Double (this was in an era when it was still a thing spoken of in hushed tones, before the gap between the haves and have nots grew to a level where it became a regular occurrence), one of them said "We haven't been to Wembley since 1974..." (I checked after, they lost then too!)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    89 for me, I was only 12 and it was my first experience of Arsenal winning the league, that night was just magical, watched it on TV with my dad and brothers, I was so excited after seeing us win I couldn't sleep that night!

98 was pretty special too, we had a great team back then.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
    The title in 2002, won at Old Trafford 8th May 2002. Proved that we weren't a one off, and winning at the place where we'd been humiliated 6-1 the previous season.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Probably the 98 double for me too, wasn't old enough to fully be aware of the significance of the others before that.

Overmars

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2002 FA Cup for me. We were right behind both the goals, and it was the first time I'd seen us win a trophy, with Michael Owen and Stephane Henchoz breaking hearts the year before.

Either that or the one this season, for obvious reasons. 9 years of frustration coming out in one massive scream after Ramsey's goal.
    Last edited by WMUG; 21-05-2014 at 02:25 PM.
    You used to be everything to me
    Now you're tired of fighting

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WMUG View Post
    Either that or the one this season, for obvious reasons. 9 years of frustration coming out in one massive scream after Ramsey's goal.
    Yeah, a friend said this was his favourite for that exact reason. It is the longest we've gone without a trophy since I started supporting the club so that definitely adds something.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hard to split between '89 and going absolutely mental at home at 14 years old and the other 93 cup final which I went to.

I'd probably go for the former but being at the old wembley for my only ever final was pretty god damn amazing too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    4th place trophy, every year
    somebody put something in my milk