Quote Originally Posted by HCZ_Reborn View Post
Expectation is based on the money we’ve spent I’ve consistently stated this
The way we’ve spent money certainly raises expectation, as did last season. Last year’s title challenge was unexpected, this year we do expect more. I guess where we differ is I believe we’ve met our expectations and you don’t. But your metric seems to be “still in with a chance on the last day” which is very specific. Especially as you previously set the 1st May so it feels like a bit of a goalpost shift. There are plenty of indications of the progress we’ve made this season.

The simple point I’ve been making over and over again is that if we can’t get the average points total that teams have won over the past twenty years to win the league than we have nothing to say about City…nothing.
Which I dealt with in my previous post. That average is skewed by the last 7 years where City have been at an insane level. And Klopp raised Liverpool to a high enough level to push them. And there were a couple of other exceptional seasons too. I don’t accept that’s the new normal.

Success or failure is determined by fine margins, not just in football but in all sport. If we can’t push city right to the end now when they haven’t particularly had their best season what makes you think we can do it next season.
I keep hearing that City have been below par. They’ve had a few injuries. And yet they’re looking like they could do the double again. And they were a penalty shootout away from being back in the CL semi-finals. If that’s them being not at their best then yes, it is difficult to see how we can ever beat them. Liverpool only did it once and that was when they went completely mental and basically achieved the level of perfection you claim not to expect but your words tell a different story.

It was a collapse. We lost control of the title race and went out of the champions league. It’s weird to look at it in any other way.
That’s a ridiculous definition of a collapse and you have a very glass half empty view.
We were never in control of the title race. At no point did anyone make us favourites because of our harder run in. It was very briefly in our hands but as I outlined to NQ, that doesn’t make you favourites. We lost one game - having won every single league game in 2024 bar City away. And we went out of the CL to a side you predicted would win the thing. It was a very narrow defeat over two legs too. By your definition we collapse every year, as does every team unless they win the treble. And we picked ourselves up and kept winning. To compare that to last season where we got 3 points from 12 to go from being in control of the title race to as good as out of it is ludicrous.

There’s been clear progress this year. It may not be enough to win the title in which case we try and strengthen further and go again.