User Tag List

View Poll Results: Should Wenger be replaced as Arsenal Manager?

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • No

21 38.89%
  • Yes

33 61.11%
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Should Wenger be replaced as Arsenal Manager?

New Signing
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No. Spolit children the lot of you.

Administrator McNamara That Ghost...'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by irishitaliangooner View Post
    He is going to have to now and he knows it... I seriously think that he is going to spend, he will strengthen up the backline and the midfield will consist of Wilshere, Nasri, Busquets and Song with Krkic and RvP up front. From what I read, Barcelona are offering us any player or two for Cesc apart from the main six eg: Messi, Villa, Pique, Valdes, Xavi and Iniesta in a swap for Cesc... Now out of the players available for us to pinch, I would make it the two in the line up...

I reckon next seasons line-up will be like this:

Schesny

Sagna
    Vermaelen
    Samba
    Gibbs

Nasri
    Busquets
    Wilshere
    Walcott

RvP

Krkic

Thats my opinion. We will make signings...
    If it was to be any midfielder they give us, it'd probably be Keita. I'd be ok with that actually, assuming he is there in place of Diaby.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by irishitaliangooner View Post
    With the current bunch of players we have I don't think there is any other manager who would make any difference to anything...
    I "literally" couldnt disagree with that any more than i do, there is nothing wrong with the players physically, technically, and ability wise, we have some brilliant if not world class players. Even the players who get vilified on here are good enough for 85% of the otehr top flight teams around Europe and we have some genuine prospects that will just get better and better.

What we dont have currently is a tactic set that makes the best use of what we have and we dont pay enough attention to the fundamentals of the game that otehr teams with far less ability do so well. With more focus on set pieces, defensive set up, communication, keeping it simple at times and paying attention in defence we would be at least 10-15 points better off a season.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Obiwan Kenobinil View Post
    No. Spolit children the lot of you.
    I think that's unfair. We as Arsenal fans have been spoilt.
    And some of the kneejerking on here...well, the old place, was ridiculous.
    But I don't think people are being unreasonable. It's been 6 years without a trophy. Now if you're a Newcastle fan then to complain about that would be stupid but we're not, we're Arsenal fans and our club has a rich history of success. There is a reasonable expectation of continued success given our history and current resources. And Wenger has raised our level and our expectations further still. He has done brilliantly to keep us at this level amid the stadium move and in an era of billionaire owners. But given that he has kept us at this level (perennial top 4 finishes, last 16 and better of the CL, often getting to the latter stages of other cup competitions) surely expecting us to go and win one here and there is reasonable.

There are some people who were whining after 2 or 3 trophyless seasons. Those people were acting like spoilt brats IMO. But with every year that goes by, every collapse, every Cup final failure, every year where the same flaws are not addressed and stop us from fulfiling our potential, the number of people who think Wenger's best years are behind him grows.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's not the lack of trophies ffs.

It's the constant refusal to correct basic errors. It's not necessarily the team, as they're clearly talented players. It's Wenger's refusal to make the basic changes needed IN ORDER for us to be where we could and should be....challenging until the end of the season for silverware.

There's no 100% definite that we'd win a trophy, but we as fans need to see that he is addressing the obvious issues which fuck us every season. And he refuses. So what are we supposed to do?? Accept it??
    It's better to burn out, than to fade away.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How spoilt of us to demand a competent defence.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LDG View Post

It's the constant refusal to correct basic errors. It's not necessarily the team, as they're clearly talented players. It's Wenger's refusal to make the basic changes needed IN ORDER for us to be where we could and should be....challenging until the end of the season for silverware.

There's no 100% definite that we'd win a trophy, but we as fans need to see that he is addressing the obvious issues which fuck us every season. And he refuses. So what are we supposed to do?? Accept it??
    OK, you're right. I mentioned trophies because that's a reasonable expectation for a squad this good.
    But yes, the thing that has really made people snap is the basic errors which we KEEP making which are not being addressed despite Wenger quite openly admitting that there are problems. And they're not problems which would cost much to fix. Organising the defence so it doesn't keep conceding stupid goals from set pieces/long, straight balls. It's basic stuff.
    The end result is no trophies and people would be fine with that if this was a mid-table squad who we felt were fighting for every point and doing their best, but they're not, they're a very talented squad who have such a weak mentality and poor defensive organisation that they'll never win anything despite clearly being good enough to.
    Basically I need a squad I can believe in again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters (TPFKA WWTL@WHL) View Post
    Basically I need a squad I can believe in again.
    And that wont happen with wenger at the helm. The system is broken. His last few captains going back to vieira's last year with us shows that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LDG View Post

Spot on, and we want our football back, decent entertaining attacking football instead of the shit currently being served up. Surely entertainment (and I don't mean being a source of entertainment for opposing fans who laugh their arses off at us) has to figure in there or what's the point?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, Wenger should be replaced as manager. He said he was building a team for the future back in 2006, around the time when he sold many of the players who had won us a succession of trophies in the previous few years, including 2 leagues and 3 FA Cups.

Well, here we are 5 years later, and we have completely stagnated. It is manifest that Wenger does not have the answers to our problems, as he keeps repeating the tired old bullshit that he's been coming out with for the last 5 years. If only we had a bit of luck, he says, if only UEFA's financial fair play regulations were in place we would be able to win and compete on a "fair" basis against teams like Chelsea and Man City. This is complete smoke and mirrors tactics from Wenger, who fails to acknowledge either to himself or the fans that there are fundamental failings with this squad of players and his management style (including tactics), which have been evident for very many years, much before City were taken over.

If we continue to persevere with Wenger's discredited approach, we're going to continue to regress, especially as teams like Liverpool, City, Tottenham are looking to strengthen their squads and have real ambitions, while Wenger hasn't accepted that his fundamental approach is flawed, meaning he's only really going to make cosmetic changes in the summer, which won't be anywhere near radical enough to break this cycle of underachievement.