User Tag List

Page 23 of 26 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: Match Reaction - 0-2 chelski

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We did it at a time when the gaps between the haves and have nots was small enough that you could do that, right now I don't believe it's possible.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post
    We did it at a time when the gaps between the haves and have nots was small enough that you could do that, right now I don't believe it's possible.
    Because the dirty gypos and the dirty chavs came in and bought so much cement that nothing can move now. Liverpool had a dynasty, Utd were nowhere. Then Utd had a dynasty, Liverpool were nowhere. Arsenal, Everton, even Aston Villa intervened in that time period and nothing to say that what has always gone on in football would not have continued. Even now, Utd with their billions aren't glued to the top and are still in the realms of reality, albeit with plenty of resources in their favour. But you imagine they could still be clawed back and in fact we have seen it. One bad decision and they drop out of Europe. You can't see it ever happening with the dopers and glory purchasers - they are here to stay and it's their cash that has done it for them. They are bad for the game and with their latest trick of buying up clubs to hoard 5, 6, 7 teams from which to do their dodgy Lampard style deals it's only going to get worse.
    Für eure Sicherheit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wenger's high points are 1,The Invincibles & the early success. 2, Great passing football. 3, The Stadium move. 4, Consistent C.L qualification.
    The C.L. qualification has continued although it seems to get tougher every year & on top of that we are now consistently getting nowhere in the competition.
    When he arrived, he inherited a solid defence + Mr Bergkamp. He added the likes of Viera, Henry, Overmars, Petite & Freddy to assemble what has to be best Premier team ever, we went unbeaten & we did it in style. This was done prior to the Chavs money kicking in & when United were the only real opposition.
    The stadium move is undoubtedly fantastic for the future, we know he played a huge part in this but in my opinion it could & should have been done with him playing a minor role. His only real interest should have been to make sure we stayed competitive, which meant making sure investing in the team was not hindered by stadium repayments.
    Apart from C.L qualification, every else we thank him for happened a decade ago - football has changed, for the worse, due to money but it is what it is. The legend of Wenger is built on the early success & we have to remember we were winning titles with George Graham only a few years earlier. He made some decent signings, ones we could afford & he certainly took our football to another level but what he did wasn't a "miracle". In the past decade the most consistent thing about Wenger is the inability to compete at the level we were before. In any other business, this stagnation would result in a fresh face at the top. The longer the decision is left alone through fear of the unknown & the comfort of 4th place will result in others pulling further away & others overtaking.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The football was a miracle though. Best I have ever seen. Maybe his biggest mistake is trying to recreate what simply can't be achieved again. Maybe that was the best it gets.
    Für eure Sicherheit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Niall_Quinn View Post
    The football was a miracle though. Best I have ever seen. Maybe his biggest mistake is trying to recreate what simply can't be achieved again. Maybe that was the best it gets.
    You could be right - Maureens boring defensive mode means through all the Chavs success, its been shit to watch. I think City were certainly close last year when they were hammering teams every week with great attacking play but the Henry/Bergkamp partnership was truly a thing of beauty & we may never see anything like that again in our lifetime.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Football RIP
    Society is now one polished horde
    Formed by two mighty tribes, the bores and the bored.

"After all, it was the Gunners’ goalkeeper who started the move that culminated in Thomas’ crowning glory. It was Lukic who, in injury time, decided to throw the ball out to Lee Dixon rather than lump it long..."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thing is though, he's not even been trying to recreate it. That team was full of powerful athletes who could simply run the opposition into the ground, nothing like what we've seen since say, 2006, when he started bringing in the wave of smaller technical players and changed the style of play. Pace and power™ has always had the edge in this league, so I don't know why he's gone down a different path despite having barely any success with it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Because the dirty gypos and the dirty chavs came in and bought so much cement that nothing can move now.
    They took it to a new level but with the CL money keeping a group of teams at the top it was already very difficult before they did that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Overmars View Post
    Thing is though, he's not even been trying to recreate it. That team was full of powerful athletes who could simply run the opposition into the ground, nothing like what we've seen since say, 2006, when he started bringing in the wave of smaller technical players and changed the style of play. Pace and power™ has always had the edge in this league, so I don't know why he's gone down a different path despite having barely any success with it.
    Agreed - he decided he wanted to follow the Barca route instead. The problem is that they had world class players in all forward positions, many of whom had grown up together. Wenger thought he could teach this to "bargain buys" & still does.
    To "over-play" in boggy, damp pitches in the English winter is only going to result in disaster.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post
    Agree about effort and entertainment and with the talent we have we should be doing better than we have so far this season. That said...we're 4 points off 2nd place. No-one has been that consistent so far apart from Chelsea. We have a run of winnable games coming up. It's very early days yet. Wenger was never getting sacked after last season, this season we've been wobbling but it's far too early to be pushing the panic button just yet.
    I agree its early days and its not because of that I say that I want Wenger out. I say that because we have been having the same conversation for many years now. Simple question, Based on what has happened in the last 5 years, do you think we will improve our style of football or put in more effort by the end of this season under AW? If yes, I'd like to know the reason for that thought process. If no, then why are we not looking to replace him?
    Arsene Wenger, the only football manager that got paid 8 million quid to do nothing but sit on his arse..