User Tag List

Page 64 of 322 FirstFirst ... 1454626364656674114164 ... LastLast

Thread: Summer transfer joy and happiness

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So crates could be just the first of a couple of CBs - still being strongly linked with that Turkish lad, Soyuncu (amongst others) so let's see what happens.

Looks like we're definitely chasing a certain personality type with these early moves - Lichtsteiner and Sokratis both look like serious fuckers who have more than a bit of the Lehmanns about them! I don't imagine many players slacking off in training with these guys around, and I'm hoping this is as much about addressing the casual attitude in the camp, as it is about replacing tje experience we've lost and providing quality cover...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gooner23 View Post
    I'm ok with the Lichtsteiner deal as he's just a bit of experienced back up.

Bit underwhelmed by Papastathopoulos though, think we need to push the boat out and sign a top class CB.
    Beggars can't be choosers.

I don't think we have the pull anymore of signing a top class CB, we are no longer a CL club.

Honestly, I think we are going to need to improve our squad with buys like Sokratis and unearthing decent young talent that are going under the radar.

We can't even compete with the likes of Liverpool and Spurs to a lesser degree for highly rated young talent, I don't think we struggle with the transfer fees or paying the player wages...but we no longer have the pull, I don't think players see Arsenal as an attractive option at the moment.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AFC Leveller View Post
    Arsenal are close to signing centre-back Sokratis Papastathopoulos from Borussia Dortmund for a reported £16m.

The 29-year-old Greece international has a year left on his contract with the German Bundesliga side.

It is the latest step in Arsenal's drive to rebuild their defence with experience and leadership.

The Gunners are also working on a deal to sign Switzerland right-back Stephan Lichtsteiner, 34, on a free transfer from Juventus.

The Premier League club intend to bolster their squad with signings who are immediately ready for first-team football and, over time, continue to recruit younger players for the medium to long term.

An example is Papastathopoulos' countryman Konstantinos Mavropanos, 20, who joined in January and was the first signing overseen by new head of recruitment Sven Mislintat, formerly chief scout at Dortmund.

That month Arsenal also brought in Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang from Dortmund and Henrikh Mkhitaryan - yet another ex-Dortmund player.

Former Genoa and AC Milan defender Papastathopoulos continues the trend and will help compensate for the loss of captain Laurent Koscienly to an Achilles injury.

The departure of manager Arsene Wenger and arrival of head coach Unai Emery has seen Arsenal adopt a continental model in which Mislintat will lead on recruitment alongside Emery, head of football relations Raul Sanllehi and chief executive Ivan Gazidis.

Emery will contribute to the decision-making process and retain power of veto, while it is understood proposed signings were discussed with head coach candidates during the interview stage.
    Fuck me! Is Wenger back??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Arsenal made a late attempt to sign Fabinho before he joined Liverpool from Monaco, according to Sky sources.

The 24-year-old midfielder is admired by the Gunners' new boss Unai Emery, who tried to sign him at Paris Saint-Germain.

It is understood Arsenal made attempts to land the player over the weekend but he had already decided to join the losing Champions League finalists.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So we are signing a defender who played on one of the worse defensive units in a league with really terrible defending

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chippy View Post
    Fuck me! Is Wenger back??
    I think these are times where we see what was really Wenger's doing and what was the club's doing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not happy and, to be honest, very disappointed that we are signing old players, don't care if they're on a free or not, they still require wages. If we want to get 'back up there' we need to be signing younger, proven players. These old players will be out with long term- injuries be fore you can blink twice. Where is the ambition???

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is no point in jumping to conclusions until we've seen what the new coach is capable of. We've appointed Unai Emery for a reason. I think we're going to continue to try and develop youth talent. We have Chambers, Holding and that Greek kid. I think the strategy behind these older signings is to bring in players that can help mentor the youth but also steady the ship and pass on their experience.

I want to see how Emery can improve the current defence before we decide to spend a huge sum on players. If Unai has done his research like they said he did in the interview, this should be part of the plan on how to improve Arsenal and some of the current players.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Koscielny needs to be let go. He is not half the player he used to be and that isnt even world class to start with. Mustafi is a lost cause so lets get what we can for him. I would keep Chambers and Holding. They may be redeemable under a manager who actually knows how to coach. That gives us 3 young CBs with the kid just signed. Lets get 2 wise heads like Chiellini and Lichstensteiner to show them the nuances of defending. Dont know why we after the other 2 Greek guys unless we are dumping both Chambers and Holding.
    Make 2mrw better than 2day

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a bit of a gamble though.