User Tag List

Page 23 of 27 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: France v Argentina, 15:00 BST, BBC.

Administrator McNamara That Ghost...'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cripps View Post
    Yeah pick out the crap teams
    I unfairly picked out all the teams they faced in 2016.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Remember when Ronaldo pussied out of the final by faking an injury
    NOTE: The location of this post has been moved and the thread title (which was previously Wenger is Leaving) has been manipulated by a notorious pro-Wenger moderator. What was previously a message that contained no profanity and made a comment on a real life event has now been manipulated by a deliberately provocative title. An old and crude propaganda and censorship technique.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by McNamara That Ghost... View Post
    Take Ronaldo out of Portugal and they look just as shit as most of those teams.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by McNamara That Ghost... View Post
    Croatia have been the most impressive team this world cup and France are one of the best in the world

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Power n Glory View Post
    Maybe we should measure the quality of Messi and Ronaldo by how many chances they create?
    That is the definitive way to assess the quality of any player

More seriously, let's look at how Portugal won that tournament.

They didn't win any of their group games. They drew with Iceland 1-1, drew with Austria 0-0 and with Hungary 3-3.
    Ronaldo scored two goals in the last of those.

Then in the knock outs they beat Croatia in extra time.
    Then they beat Poland on penalties (fun fact, I was in Warsaw that night, go there a lot on business, and watched the end of it in a bar there).
    Then they beat Wales 2-0, Ronaldo scored the first - so that was the semi-final and the first game they actually won in normal time. And it was against Wales who, all disrespect due, are no world beaters.

They won the final 1-0 against France. Arguably the first decent side they played. That was in extra time too and Ronaldo went off after 25 minutes.

So spare me this notion that Ronaldo heorically dragged a mediocre Portugal to glory against the world's best. They pub-teamed their way to the title against some poor sides, most of which they either didn't beat or snuck past in ET or on pens. The only decent team they beat (also in extra time) Ronaldo wasn't even on the pitch for most of it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Croatia have been the most impressive team this world cup and France are one of the best in the world
    That would work even better if you hadn't just said "Yeah pick out the crap teams"

Cripps

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bitterness

Administrator McNamara That Ghost...'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In 2016.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post
    That is the definitive way to assess the quality of any player

More seriously, let's look at how Portugal won that tournament.

They didn't win any of their group games. They drew with Iceland 1-1, drew with Austria 0-0 and with Hungary 3-3.
    Ronaldo scored two goals in the last of those.

Then in the knock outs they beat Croatia in extra time.
    Then they beat Poland on penalties (fun fact, I was in Warsaw that night, go there a lot on business, and watched the end of it in a bar there).
    Then they beat Wales 2-0, Ronaldo scored the first - so that was the semi-final and the first game they actually won in normal time. And it was against Wales who, all disrespect due, are no world beaters.

They won the final 1-0 against France. Arguably the first decent side they played. That was in extra time too and Ronaldo went off after 25 minutes.

So spare me this notion that Ronaldo heorically dragged a mediocre Portugal to glory against the world's best. They pub-teamed their way to the title against some poor sides, most of which they either didn't beat or snuck past in ET or on pens. The only decent team they beat (also in extra time) Ronaldo wasn't even on the pitch for most of it.
    man, shut up. Messi hasn't won a thing at International level. Nothing. Regardless of whether they pubbed it, they won! It's that simple. Name another Portuguese attacking player that's close to Ronaldo's level? I'll wait.

Argentina have Aguero, Di Maria, Dybala, Higuain, Mascherano, Otemendi, Pastore, Lavezzi... way more players over the years with high level experience.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Power n Glory View Post
    man, shut up. Messi hasn't won a thing at International level. Nothing.
    True, and that is damning when it comes to the Copa America. But not relevant to my point.

Regardless of whether they pubbed it, they won! It's that simple.
    Yes, but to quote the part of my post which makes my point:
    Spare me this notion that Ronaldo heroically dragged a mediocre Portugal to glory against the world's best.
    Name another Portuguese attacking player that's close to Ronaldo's level?
    Well, there isn't one. But also not relevant to my point.

WUMming aside, people on both sides of the Ronaldo vs Messi debate like to pretend it's nice and clear cut and their preferred player is clearly superior.
    Fact is, they are two of the GOATs, there really isn't much between them. I don't like Ronaldo because hes an egotistical cock. Messi probably is too tbf, maybe he just hides it better.

But the idea that Portugal pub teaming their way against poor opposition to a trophy two years ago and winning the final while Ronaldo wasn't even playing makes Ronaldo the clear winner is absurd.