User Tag List

Page 246 of 322 FirstFirst ... 146196236244245246247248256296 ... LastLast
Results 2,451 to 2,460 of 3213

Thread: Summer transfer joy and happiness

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    De Gea about to sign up to a £350k a week salary at Utd.

The penny is going to drop soon that signing up to these contracts makes you set for life but kills your sporting ambition. Just look at Neymar, Ozil, Sanchez and Pogba - you’re stuck in limbo until your contract runs out as no-one can afford to buy more than one of you a season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blink 1nce Quince 2wice View Post
    Having lost Ramsey, Welbeck and Cech....we are currently a weaker squad of players than last season.
    Pound for pound, yes. Ramsey’s the only real miss out of those 3 for me though (and even he came with his own set of headaches in terms of form, fitness and who you could partner him with).

In some ways I think we might actually have a better spread of options now, even if most of the players we’ve promoted to the first team are very raw still? Two of them are natural wingers (as is our only modest signing) and the other 3 look like they could fill in several areas across the attack and midfield. (Obviously I’m not expecting any of those guys to hit consistent, top-level form every week, but if we play the numbers game with them then we only really need one or two of them to be fired up and in the zone each week.)

Plus there’s the knock-on effect to consider. If we have proper wingers in the side, even if they’re inexperienced, then maybe (hopefully!) we won’t have to suffer Özil and Mkhi on the wings ever again! Maybe we can move Iwobi central, or possibly even push him into a 3-man midfield (he’s not really got the consistent end product to be a top winger or a no.10, but as a ball-carrier from midfield I think he could be more useful)? And of course playing with wingers means we can rest / rotate Auba and Laca, and keep them fresh across a long season.

Player-for-player you have to say we’re a weaker squad right now... but I can actually see a few more options when I look at this current group, which is something.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SMatthews View Post
    Not sure that’s true at all. Raul has said he is no fan of the winter transfer window as he sees it as pointless. Whoever the manager, we wouldn’t have signed anyone - especially now we know the state of the finances.
    ok, but that's still kind of my point where you say 'Raul has said' ie Emery has no real say and don't forget he'd been making noises about needing to buy players in January not long before Raul said any buys were off the table...

made Emery look a bit out of the loop at best....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Isn't that the whole point of the new set-up? The manager focusses on the team while the suits do all the other stuff? Back in January Emery did say we needed a CB, then said the club told him things would be different in the summer and towards the end of the season said buying was one of the best ways to improve the squad. He's hardly been quiet. If Raul and Vinai said they were pleased with his performance, saying he's 'out the loop' makes no sense. Either way it's the same situation any manager here would find themselves in.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I am invisible View Post
    Pound for pound, yes. Ramsey’s the only real miss out of those 3 for me though (and even he came with his own set of headaches in terms of form, fitness and who you could partner him with).

In some ways I think we might actually have a better spread of options now, even if most of the players we’ve promoted to the first team are very raw still? Two of them are natural wingers (as is our only modest signing) and the other 3 look like they could fill in several areas across the attack and midfield. (Obviously I’m not expecting any of those guys to hit consistent, top-level form every week, but if we play the numbers game with them then we only really need one or two of them to be fired up and in the zone each week.)

Plus there’s the knock-on effect to consider. If we have proper wingers in the side, even if they’re inexperienced, then maybe (hopefully!) we won’t have to suffer Özil and Mkhi on the wings ever again! Maybe we can move Iwobi central, or possibly even push him into a 3-man midfield (he’s not really got the consistent end product to be a top winger or a no.10, but as a ball-carrier from midfield I think he could be more useful)? And of course playing with wingers means we can rest / rotate Auba and Laca, and keep them fresh across a long season.

Player-for-player you have to say we’re a weaker squad right now... but I can actually see a few more options when I look at this current group, which is something.
    well I hope we give the youngsters a go as without playing them we will never really know if they can cut it although it is a bit of a risk throwing 3 or 4 in at the same time. but its easier to be a young attacker than a young defender imo. We might have a few more options its just time will tell if its good options or not.

just spend the money on the back four.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Apparently close to signing Dani Cabellos from Real on loan. Supposed to be a talented young CM by all accounts. Starred in u-21 team that just won the euros. Has been capped by the senior side a few times too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I am invisible View Post

I get where you're coming from, but those junior squaddies were always there available for us if we wanted and deemed them of sufficient value.

I watched Saka in the Europa league game at the ground which a lot of fans spoke him up after. I actually thought the game essentially passed him by for an hour and then he came into it as the opposition got a little tired and demoralised.

Nelson I was pleased progressed abroad but I've never quite rated him as much as many of our fans either. Reiss Nelson and Willock are curious to see more of and like but I fear none will really get the consistency of playing time they will need to garner the best of their talents.

Mhki when he isn't doing the sublime to pathetic clown act he is fond of, is actually a very good player. Of course like the rest of them we can neither sell him or loan him and the clearout many of our fans were licking their lips about before the season ended has obviously, as it never was going to, materialise.
    Last edited by Blink 1nce Quince 2wice; 16-07-2019 at 12:45 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not in the least bit interested in us signing some Real reject youngster, they don't seem to have a particularly good youth setup and loads of them seem to flop despite being massively overhyped when there. As for loan deals, no thanks, buy them or don't bother.

I'm disappointed in Emery, he's literally doing next to nothing right at the moment, from the way his team plays, to the mentality, to the players he's interested in, no wonder PSG got rid of him he on the face of it seems to lack any real drive for success. We've gone into pre-season without signing anyone at all, he may as well have kept Ramsey because he's found noone to either replace him or bring in so far, so waht was the point of letting him go on a free? Nothing seems to change, again we had no plan, we knew who was leaving and yet couldn't get any deals lined up, what a sorry state of affairs.

Getting disallusioned with everything at this club, we never seem to be able to get things right, we have an owner who doesn't care, a manager who doesn't seem to know what he's doing, players who lack motivation and hunger and a transfer team who seem to be just as bad as the previous team from observations so far. What I've come to realise about this club is it literally never learns from it's mistakes, it's just rinse and repeat time after time, there's no smart thinking or getting ahead of the game, it's the same shoddy, indadequate method time and time again.

I think this club is finished unless someone buys Kroenke out, because without some drive for success at the top you're going to end up with mediocrity, because noone else is top notch, money rather than sucess seems to be the motivator at this club.
    Last edited by Özim; 16-07-2019 at 01:05 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Trippier on his way to Atletico for £20m.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I noticed Jenkinson started the friendly last night. How is he still here because I thought his contract was up? Don't tell me he's got another year to go...