• Saturday

0 0%
Page 22 of 106 FirstFirst ... 1220212223243272 ... LastLast

Thread: When will Arteta be sacked by

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The end result was disappointingly familiar, but this was a very different spanking at Anfield from our usual outings there. We were decently competitive in the first half, and they really turned it on in the second half to ultimately blow us away.

I can take more heart from that than when they race to a 3 or 4 goal lead inside half an hour then ease off and save their energy, like we often allow them to do, and as they did against Man Utd the other week.

We already knew we were a way off their level, and this performance was nowhere near as dire as I feared it could have been. As long as the squad can learn and not have too much confidence sapped, it will hopefully be more a blip than a crashing down to earth.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We are miles away from Liverpool and Chelsea, probably City too.
    I don’t think anyone else is obviously better than us.
    Arteta’s built up a bit of good will. I’m not going to wet my pants over the first bad result.
    Let’s see how we react.
    He’s here for the season, we can only really assess where we are at the end of it. I’m not convinced by Arteta but I’m looking for some progress this season. At times I think I’ve seen it but today was a setback. Not a big enough one to jump on the Arteta out bandwagon though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post
    We are miles away from Liverpool and Chelsea, probably City too.
    I don’t think anyone else is obviously better than us.
    Arteta’s built up a bit of good will. I’m not going to wet my pants over the first bad result.
    Let’s see how we react.
    He’s here for the season, we can only really assess where we are at the end of it. I’m not convinced by Arteta but I’m looking for some progress this season. At times I think I’ve seen it but today was a setback. Not a big enough one to jump on the Arteta out bandwagon though.
    Ok, let's chat in May!
    Nothing will change.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All this does is delay the inevitable. West Ham can give Liverpool a game but we cant.?. What is wrong g with us. Can we beat Newcastle or Ole at United. I will guess we wont. This is where we were last season. This is where we will be this time next season. Arteta is taking us nowhere.
    Make 2mrw better than 2day

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Globalgunner View Post
    All this does is delay the inevitable. West Ham can give Liverpool a game but we cant.?. What is wrong g with us. Can we beat Newcastle or Ole at United. I will guess we wont. This is where we were last season. This is where we will be this time next season. Arteta is taking us nowhere.
    Didn’t Brighton come from 2 down to get a point there as well recently? Sure Brentford got a result too. All these teams scored multiple goals against them.

I mean, we know Liverpool are one of the best teams in the world but it’s strange how we just seem to close our eyes, stick our fingers in our ears and shout la la la not happening! Whenever these kind of fixtures come around. We’ve lost by an agg of 11-0 so far to the 3 best teams in the league. The inevitability of it is what concerns me. These results should feel like a shock to the system, a real watershed moment but for us it’s just another day at the office.

Arsenal are not cut out for the big stage anymore and that’s quite evident. The mentality is that of a plucky mid table side that can punch above their weight from time to time.

The only positive I can think of is that you won’t need to be a top side to finish 4th this year. So the bar is low enough for us to aim for.
    Last edited by Marc Overmars; 21-11-2021 at 08:48 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cricketsi View Post
    The end result was disappointingly familiar, but this was a very different spanking at Anfield from our usual outings there. We were decently competitive in the first half, and they really turned it on in the second half to ultimately blow us away.

I can take more heart from that than when they race to a 3 or 4 goal lead inside half an hour then ease off and save their energy, like we often allow them to do, and as they did against Man Utd the other week.

We already knew we were a way off their level, and this performance was nowhere near as dire as I feared it could have been. As long as the squad can learn and not have too much confidence sapped, it will hopefully be more a blip than a crashing down to earth.
    i kind of agree with this although i also agree with MO above too

we competed well although tbf without the exceptional talent of Ramsdale we'd have been behind sooner.

i think we were naive in trying things with the ball which gave Liverpool possession - White did it with the first goal then there was that suicidal pass from Tavares for the third (i think) goal

i guess it does ust come down to being a young team which is something we maybe need some patience with

very worried about Odegaard btw - he just seems terrible now

tbh i never got carried away with that unbeaten run - some of it was a bit fortunate wiih us playing pretty poorly for entire halves of games at times.

i still think Arteta was a mistake but he'll be there for the rest of the season i guess, unless things go drastically wrong

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This does feel like the first test failed for this team, but that’s not a problem - it just means we’re not as far ahead in our progress as we were starting to hope we are and there’s more to learn. Tbf we only slapped this team together about 8 games ago, so stuff like this is going to happen along the way (esp. when your juggling as many changes and as many young players as we are, and esp. when facing one of the 3 elite sides in the league on their own patch). Sure, West Ham and Brighton went there and did a lot better than us, but then they also both lost to Wolves and Villa (who we just sparked) so read into that what you will. As others have said, City, Chelsea and ‘Pool are clearly a level above everyone else at this point - if we can show that we’re the best / 2nd best of the rest by the end of the season (I.e. 4th or 5th) then we’ll be well on track.

A bad day at the office - let’s see if this group of players has enough resilience to shrug it off and bounce back next week, even if that means a more businesslike performance while we regroup. There’s a lot of talk about needing to show consistency right now, but for me it’s more about showing resilience. Consistency only really comes through experience and repetition, and you only survive long enough to gain that experience if you’re mentally tough enough to not let these days rattle you. As I said, we failed this test - the next test is to not let it turn into a slide.
    Last edited by I am invisible; 21-11-2021 at 10:15 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mac76 View Post

we competed well although tbf without the exceptional talent of Ramsdale we'd have been behind sooner.

i think we were naive in trying things with the ball which gave Liverpool possession - White did it with the first goal then there was that suicidal pass from Tavares for the third (i think) goal

i guess it does ust come down to being a young team which is something we maybe need some patience with

tbh i never got carried away with that unbeaten run - some of it was a bit fortunate wiih us playing pretty poorly for entire halves of games at times.

i still think Arteta was a mistake but he'll be there for the rest of the season i guess, unless things go drastically wrong
    Having young players is no excuse. Fergie won the League with "Kids".
    We had a good unbeaten run under Emery, once again, many of those fixtures was against pub teams.
    We seem to making excuses and putting up with mediocrity. Especially as you said "We competed well for 45 minutes". Not good enough for the Arsenal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mac76 View Post

Yeah, I’m not 100% sure where / how Ødegaard fits yet, but he still has a bit of time before we need to panic - it feels like we’re still another window or two away from putting the finishing touches to the side (particularly the attack) so he might have been bought with longer-term plans in mind? I’m sure we’d rather have a single striker who offers what both Auba and Laca do, rather than having to split the job across two players - that’s kind of keeping him out of the side right now - and I also think he’d benefit massively from a confident, in-form Martinelli and/or Pepe in front of him (or, failing that, a new wide attacker to make those runs).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unfortunately OGS has been sacked which might race for 4th harder