Page 443 of 452 FirstFirst ... 343393433441442443444445 ... LastLast
Results 4,421 to 4,430 of 4516

Thread: The Wish They Were All Dead Tory Cunt Thread

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WMUG View Post
    I know you think that, I was asking Letters.

My vote up in Manchester is a waste of time really, Burnham's getting in with a huge majority regardless, and my council ward is pretty much the same.
    It looks like Khan is a pretty safe bet here. The fact I didn't even know who the Tory candidate was till today tells you something (probably something about me to be fair, and we did get a booklet through the door, but it doesn't feel like this has been as big news as it should be). Makes Binface more appealing. Means I don't need to endorse Khan (which I don't have a massive issue doing, but don't feel strongly enough about him to want to) and we probably won't have some loony in charge either. Unless it's Binface, but I quite like him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post
    It looks like Khan is a pretty safe bet here
    I'm not so sure, not least because a lot of people are saying exactly that, so there's a fair degree of complacency IMO

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HCZ_Reborn View Post
    See I don’t see how you square responsibility to vote with your belief in intelligence tests
    I was really clear in that discussion that I was not talking about an intelligence test.
    And I said above that I see voting as a responsibility but that people should vote responsibly. If you don't know what the main parties are standing for then how can you do that?

But your analogy makes no sense, if you don’t believe in government why on earth would you give your endorsement to that. Equally if I have nothing but contempt for the current political class why should I endorse them.
    Because however you feel someone is going to end up representing you locally. Voting is the only mechanism you have to have some say about who that will be. There will be a government which will make laws, those laws affect you. Voting is the only mechanism you have to have some say about who will be in power.

It may be true that they're all twats, and you may think they shouldn't exist at all, but it's also true that one of them's going to end up running the country. Might as well have your say. In our system it doesn't count for much but it's all we have.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It looks like Khan is a pretty safe bet here. The fact I didn't even know who the Tory candidate was till today tells you something (probably something about me to be fair, and we did get a booklet through the door, but it doesn't feel like this has been as big news as it should be). Makes Binface more appealing. Means I don't need to endorse Khan (which I don't have a massive issue doing, but don't feel strongly enough about him to want to) and we probably won't have some loony in charge either. Unless it's Binface, but I quite like him.
    The London Tory is the one who tried to claim crime was out of control under Khan because she got pickpocketed on the tube, then went on to describe losing her wallet and having it handed back to her.

She's a moron.
    You used to be everything to me
    Now you're tired of fighting

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was really clear in that discussion that I was not talking about an intelligence test.
    And I said above that I see voting as a responsibility but that people should vote responsibly. If you don't know what the main parties are standing for then how can you do that?

Because however you feel someone is going to end up representing you locally. Voting is the only mechanism you have to have some say about who that will be. There will be a government which will make laws, those laws affect you. Voting is the only mechanism you have to have some say about who will be in power.

It may be true that they're all twats, and you may think they shouldn't exist at all, but it's also true that one of them's going to end up running the country. Might as well have your say. In our system it doesn't count for much but it's all we have.
    There is an argument to be made about Bourgeois Democracy that on a basic level it doesn’t really matter who runs the country as it doesn’t really affect us. Brexit is a key example of that, in every conceivable way this was a cultural battle between people and how they see the world rather than anything that had any substantive impact on our lives.

I voted against Brexit not out of love for openness but because I’m a counter revolutionary. I despise the millenarian fever that has impacted both the left and the right….the capricious stupidity of it all.

Whether you intend for a test to be an intelligence test or not that’s what it is. What you will never know is how many of those vox pops who you mock to feel better about your own limitations actually voted to begin with, Mugabe used to make people ink their fingers with dye to prove to one of his Zanu PF goons that they’d voted so you might be able to see why I’m not in favour of compulsory voting either.

I’m not conceited enough to think that the absence of my vote is a problem. I’m not entitled to politicians worth voting for, if people were as bothered by the calibre of politicians as much as I was turnout would be drastically lower than it already is.

Participation should come with the carrot not the stick

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The London Tory is the one who tried to claim crime was out of control under Khan because she got pickpocketed on the tube, then went on to describe losing her wallet and having it handed back to her.

She's a moron.
    And if they felt they had any chance of beating Kahn they would have picked a more serious candidate.

What needs to be the concern is that London doesn’t become like Liverpool where one party rule leads to acceptance of corruption and lack of incentive to serve the people who elect them

However at the moment it’s more an acceptance that the Tories are unpopular wherever they are. Andy Street the West Midlands Mayor has distanced himself from the Tories and this might just see him win another term

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is an argument to be made about Bourgeois Democracy that on a basic level it doesn’t really matter who runs the country as it doesn’t really affect us.
    I don't really buy that argument, or that "they're all as bad as each other". I'm pretty sure the country would be in a different place had Corbyn won. Not necessarily a better place, but they'd definitely have made different laws which would have affected people differently.

Whether you intend for a test to be an intelligence test or not that’s what it is.
    No it isn't.

I did vote (Binface ), and as I was coming out the polling station I heard a women just finishing an exchange with someone who was sat outside the polling station (obviously in an official capacity, but I couldn't quite work out what her role was). The woman had obviously tried to vote, hadn't brought photo ID and was told she couldn't. I didn't hear what the official person said but imagine it was along the lines of advising the woman that she could go get her ID and come back. The woman said "a vote's not that important" and walked off, muttering about how ridiculous it all was. Few things there.

1) The fact you need photo ID has been all over the news, and subject of much debate.
    2) It's also on the polling card, it's pretty much the first thing you see.
    3) Because of how polling stations work I doubt she lived that far from it. She's got till 10pm to go back there and can't be arsed.

I'd submit that while I don't think this ID thing was intended as a test, it sort of served as one. This isn't about intelligence. I'm sure the woman can read, she just didn't bother to. If you're so disengaged that you didn't know you need ID and can't be arsed going to get any then screw you, you don't deserve a vote. And if you don't know that the face-eating leopard party intend to literally release face-eating leopards onto the streets of our country then you shouldn't be voting for them. If you do know that and happen to think it's a good thing so decide to vote for them then while I (not that) respectfully disagree, go nuts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And if they felt they had any chance of beating Kahn they would have picked a more serious candidate.
    Just went back and looked, she became the candidate pretty much by accident. The frontrunner who was apparently somewhat sane had to pull out last minute because of a groping allegation.

What needs to be the concern is that London doesn’t become like Liverpool where one party rule leads to acceptance of corruption and lack of incentive to serve the people who elect them
    I see you've been to Manchester
    You used to be everything to me
    Now you're tired of fighting

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't really buy that argument, or that "they're all as bad as each other". I'm pretty sure the country would be in a different place had Corbyn won. Not necessarily a better place, but they'd definitely have made different laws which would have affected people differently.

No it isn't.

I did vote (Binface ), and as I was coming out the polling station I heard a women just finishing an exchange with someone who was sat outside the polling station (obviously in an official capacity, but I couldn't quite work out what her role was). The woman had obviously tried to vote, hadn't brought photo ID and was told she couldn't. I didn't hear what the official person said but imagine it was along the lines of advising the woman that she could go get her ID and come back. The woman said "a vote's not that important" and walked off, muttering about how ridiculous it all was. Few things there.

1) The fact you need photo ID has been all over the news, and subject of much debate.
    2) It's also on the polling card, it's pretty much the first thing you see.
    3) Because of how polling stations work I doubt she lived that far from it. She's got till 10pm to go back there and can't be arsed.

I'd submit that while I don't think this ID thing was intended as a test, it sort of served as one. This isn't about intelligence. I'm sure the woman can read, she just didn't bother to. If you're so disengaged that you didn't know you need ID and can't be arsed going to get any then screw you, you don't deserve a vote. And if you don't know that the face-eating leopard party intend to literally release face-eating leopards onto the streets of our country then you shouldn't be voting for them. If you do know that and happen to think it's a good thing so decide to vote for them then while I (not that) respectfully disagree, go nuts.
    Corbyn wouldn’t have had the power to do anything because at most he would have been head of an Ill made coalition that would have collapsed within a year. Everything he tried to do would have collided with reality like Liz Truss’ six weeks on the job.
    Also Corbyn becoming prime minister was in itself never a reality. The British people for all you scorn them would never have chosen him. That is something small to take some pride in I feel.

What I love about Voter ID is the way it drives the sensibles barmy. I don’t really agree with it, it clearly is a way of gerrymandering elections but their beloved Europeans all insist on it…but because it was introduced by the Tories they hate it.

It reminds me of being a student and being ID’d outside a door to a bar. Normally I would have just gone home and forgot about it, but because the doorman was essentially calling me a liar I went home and back out to produce the ID.

People don’t read things properly, it’s not about being uninformed. I’ve no sympathy for your woman. If she cared enough to vote she’d bring ID along. I’ve no issue with self-selective removal from the franchise. I don’t like any form of hoop jumping personally though

I’ve not had the issue because I haven’t voted in five years. I really don’t miss it.

What I suspect you will never understand is that if the Face Eating Leopard party can legitimately appear on the ballot, then no one has the right to tell people they shouldn’t vote for them. Appearing on the ballot makes them a legitimate choice

What is or is not the right thing to vote for is utterly subjective. I consider Corbyn the worst insult ever put to the electorate but people had the right to vote for Labour with him as leader.
    Last edited by HCZ_Reborn; 02-05-2024 at 01:28 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just went back and looked, she became the candidate pretty much by accident. The frontrunner who was apparently somewhat sane had to pull out last minute because of a groping allegation.

I see you've been to Manchester
    Oh I’ve no doubt it’s the same in Manchester, I’m just more familiar with Liverpool