User Tag List

Page 444 of 452 FirstFirst ... 344394434442443444445446 ... LastLast
Results 4,431 to 4,440 of 4514

Thread: The Wish They Were All Dead Tory Cunt Thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Binface has pledged to bring back Ceefax. But unless he’s pledging to bring back Teletext under its original name (Oracle) and restore Channel 4’s Bamboozle. Just not interested

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HCZ_Reborn View Post
    Corbyn wouldn’t have had the power to do anything because at most he would have been head of an Ill made coalition that would have collapsed within a year.
    Well, whatever. My point was I don't think it's true that they're all the same or all as bad as each other.
    Different parties do have different philosophies which mean they make different laws and those laws do affect us.

What I love about Voter ID is the way it drives the sensibles barmy.
    I can't really see the point in it. MrsL is of the view that you should need ID to vote and it's a bit strange you've never had to before. My counter argument is what problem was there which needs solving. Is there any evidence of widescale voter fraud? There's little incentive to do it, what are you going to do, keep going in with different disguises on? You're only going to get a few extra votes which in the context of any election is trivial. The risk/reward calculation doesn't really add up.

What I suspect you will never understand is that if the Face Eating Leopard party can legitimately appear on the ballot, then no one has the right to tell people they shouldn’t vote for them. Appearing on the ballot makes them a legitimate choice
    Count Binface is on the ballot. The barrier to appearing on a ballot is very low - which in a democracy it arguably should be.

What is or is not the right thing to vote for is utterly subjective.
    Which was my point. If you think the face-eating leopard party is the way to go then ok, go nuts. So long as you understand that they want face-eating leopards to be released onto the streets. If you don't understand that then on what basis are you voting for them?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Binface has pledged to bring back Ceefax. But unless he’s pledging to bring back Teletext under its original name (Oracle) and restore Channel 4’s Bamboozle. Just not interested

Bamboozle was bloody frustrating. Didn't you have to start again if you got one wrong?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post
    Well, whatever. My point was I don't think it's true that they're all the same or all as bad as each other.
    Different parties do have different philosophies which mean they make different laws and those laws do affect us.

I can't really see the point in it. MrsL is of the view that you should need ID to vote and it's a bit strange you've never had to before. My counter argument is what problem was there which needs solving. Is there any evidence of widescale voter fraud? There's little incentive to do it, what are you going to do, keep going in with different disguises on? You're only going to get a few extra votes which in the context of any election is trivial. The risk/reward calculation doesn't really add up.

Count Binface is on the ballot. The barrier to appearing on a ballot is very low - which in a democracy it arguably should be.

Which was my point. If you think the face-eating leopard party is the way to go then ok, go nuts. So long as you understand that they want face-eating leopards to be released onto the streets. If you don't understand that then on what basis are you voting for them?
    What seems to be coming across here is this desire for you to be protected from the electorate or for you to be saved from yourself.

It’s not to say they are all the same and nothing I’ve said has suggested that, but ultimately the level of impact a government is able to have on our lives on a day to day basis is actually quite negligible.

Whoever gets in there will still be cars, jobs, shops, crime and taxes

There will still be very rich and very poor people.

And the Face eating Leopard party find invariably when they get in, that they can’t actually eat any faces

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What seems to be coming across here is this desire for you to be protected from the electorate or for you to be saved from yourself.
    I don't know what that means.

I just want people who vote for the face-eating leopard party to do so understanding that that party wants to release face-eating leopards on to the streets, rather than because they think the leader of the party is funny or handsome or charming.

How you achieve that aim of an informed electorate is up for discussion, but in the previous conversation we were aligned than it is desirable.

It’s not to say they are all the same and nothing I’ve said has suggested that, but ultimately the level of impact a government is able to have on our lives on a day to day basis is actually quite negligible.
    I don't know about that. The government's actions might not have had a big impact on your life (or mine, to be fair). But that's because I'm reasonably affluent, things affect me less. The cost of living thing hasn't really bitten me too badly. I've certainly noticed, but it hasn't affected me like it has some people. For more vulnerable people I think government policy can have a very big affect on their lives.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know what that means.

I just want people who vote for the face-eating leopard party to do so understanding that that party wants to release face-eating leopards on to the streets, rather than because they think the leader of the party is funny or handsome or charming.

How you achieve that aim of an informed electorate is up for discussion, but in the previous conversation we were aligned than it is desirable.

I don't know about that. The government's actions might not have had a big impact on your life (or mine, to be fair). But that's because I'm reasonably affluent, things affect me less. The cost of living thing hasn't really bitten me too badly. I've certainly noticed, but it hasn't affected me like it has some people. For more vulnerable people I think government policy can have a very big affect on their lives.
    But I think to suggest that the government can control the cost of living or much about the economy is incredibly naive

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But I think to suggest that the government can control the cost of living or much about the economy is incredibly naive
    https://www.theguardian.com/business...-and-liz-truss

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Liz Truss should be the example you’re looking for that they can’t

We are talking about a mini budget that thankfully was never implemented because of how the market responded to it

Plus she’s actually an example of democratic deficit. She was chosen by a selectorate not the electorate

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was still the government's actions - their announced intention of doing things - which caused a lot of the chaos. Pretty clear cause and effect there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was still the government's actions - their announced intention of doing things - which caused a lot of the chaos. Pretty clear cause and effect there.
    But they literally couldn’t do anything.

Your argument is that Corbyn would have changed things. No he wouldn’t have (thankfully) because the forces of the economy are like gravity

The way it works is the market reacts to forecasts when the forecasts themselves are often incorrect. Brexit for example has been a slow puncture rather than the tyre fire predicted

Reality has that way of stalling peoples plans. Everything you’ll see from government between now and the time it’s changed is gesture politics. Because there’s no way to afford anything else. We can’t borrow and parties are too scared to tell the electorate the painful truth, they need to pay more tax just to keep things in the terrible state they are