User Tag List

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

Thread: Man United vs Arsenal, 12.05.2024

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HCZ_Reborn View Post
    I’m simply stating a fact. In 88/89 we lost to Derby and drew against Wimbledon and looked like we’d thrown the title away.

What you choose to accept or not accept is not really my problem.
    What's that got to do with my response to the original post? I'm not disputing we lost to Derby and drew against Wimbledon, remember it well, I threw my Arsenal mug into the garden and it smashed into a hundred pieces after the Wimbledon fuck-up. So does that mean Liverpool didn't own the refs in the 80s?

Struggling to find the connection.
    Für eure Sicherheit

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Niall_Quinn View Post
    Fine, but then there was the chance to go toe to toe with the campsite crew. We didn't. Just recounting history, without opinion being necessary. For sure, better not to have chucked points away in easy games, but we did. So we had to win a hard game to make up for it. Didn't. Lost the title. Nothing to do with the gypos being cheats. We've always been up against cheats. 80s Liverpool, 90s/00s Utd. Some of the worst cheats imaginable. Still managed to beat them from time to time. No excuses now. They don't help.
    My take is we have gone toe to toe with them.
    We don’t agree on much but a while back we were agreeing that we wouldn’t win the league and I think it was for the same reason - we don’t think Arsenal can handle a title run in. Last year we should have won it, but we collapsed in the run in. The City juggernaut ran us down. We lost twice to them and dropped too many silly points in the run in. To the point that from a commanding position we basically just handed to them. We haven’t done that this year. The Villa game was where it went in to City’s hands, but I can forgive one slip all calendar year. Since I’ve consistently said that if City are going to win it then make the fuckers win it. We’ve done that. City have won 8 in a row since they drew with us and we have stayed right with them. They’re going to have to win the last two to beat us. They probably will, but despite the harder run in we’ve made them run to the line. That and the way we’ve stood up in the big games this year, it’s a million times better than last season. If it’s still not enough then so be it, no complaints from me, we go again next season. If the FA have any balls (lol) then City will be stripped of this title anyway.
    The main thing is over the last couple of seasons the relationship between club and fans has been restored.‘I actually care again. That’s a massive step forward

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What's that got to do with my response to the original post? I'm not disputing we lost to Derby and drew against Wimbledon, remember it well, I threw my Arsenal mug into the garden and it smashed into a hundred pieces after the Wimbledon fuck-up. So does that mean Liverpool didn't own the refs in the 80s?

Struggling to find the connection.
    The point is you keep pointing back to the past and how we fail to live up to those standards

The fact is this season we have. In fact in some ways we’ve exceeded those standards both offensively and defensively, we’ve had slip ups this season but every single title winner has slip ups. It just seems City has far fewer than anyone else

I don’t know what the whole thing is about cheating with refs, it obviously didn’t help Liverpool or United when we pipped them to the title. But it’s a whole different ask when you’re talking about a team that barring dropped points Tuesday will have won six out of the last seven league titles…and it doesn’t matter the standard of the opponent they have a squad available to them where they can just up their level when it suits them.

Now I don’t know if maybe Guardiola deserves some respect there, Chelsea have done just as much if not more in terms of financial doping but they’ve never had that level of consistency.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The refs were owned by Liverpool in the 80s - except in Europe where they became mere mortals. And I don't think I even need to comment about Utd. My point is, you can beat the cheats if you want to, and we did. It's not a valid excuse.
    you're right about Fergufuck for sure, they didn't say he was worth 10 points a season for nothing, he had the FA and the refs around his little finger, two and a half seasons without a single pel against them at Old Shiteford, plus the Club World cup/FAC bye debacle that saw them sunning themselves by the pool in South America while everyone else was getting kicked from one end of a frost-bitten pitch to the other

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mac76 View Post
    you're right about Fergufuck for sure, they didn't say he was worth 10 points a season for nothing, he had the FA and the refs around his little finger, two and a half seasons without a single pel against them at Old Shiteford, plus the Club World cup/FAC bye debacle that saw them sunning themselves by the pool in South America while everyone else was getting kicked from one end of a frost-bitten pitch to the other
    The being worth ten points a season thing was what Ferguson himself said about having Peter Schmeichel in goal.
    Although not denying there was ref favouritism, there was this stat where no ref awarded a pen at Old Trafford between December 1993 where Ruel Fox put one away for Norwich and over ten years later when Liverpool were given a penalty which Danny Murphy converted in April 2004.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We are in a title race and it’s going to last day of the season and while city are strong favourites, it’s not beyond possibility that they slip up and we win it. This arsenal side does deserve to be champions, an almost flawless 2024 where we have dropped just 5 points (of which two of those were a draw at city, a brilliant result ). It’s going to the last day and that’s what we have been wanting for years.

We have responded superbly to pressure city have put on us, both the away games at spurs & united which historically are grounds we don’t win at (first time we have won two seasons in a row at spurs for 30 odd years & only 3rd win at old Trafford since 2006). City won their games and we went out to tough games and won them as well. We have created a situation where they have to win their last 2 games (lets face it, they will) but any slip up and we are right there.

This season has been outstanding and real improvement since last year. 27 wins in the league, a record for us, a great defensive record too. Significant improvement and a genuine title challenge. It’s what we have wanted for years and the best thing, this is a genuinely likeable team.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The draw at Citeh was a decent result but on the day I think we could maybe have won i

But yes, we've made progresst

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The being worth ten points a season thing was what Ferguson himself said about having Peter Schmeichel in goal.
    Although not denying there was ref favouritism, there was this stat where no ref awarded a pen at Old Trafford between December 1993 where Ruel Fox put one away for Norwich and over ten years later when Liverpool were given a penalty which Danny Murphy converted in April 2004.
    Much as I hate the Daily Maul you'll see this article proves my '10 points' remark https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...CARRAGHER.html

I didn't realise it was as much as ten years that they didn't get a pel awarded against them at home though

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mac76 View Post
    Much as I hate the Daily Maul you'll see this article proves my '10 points' remark https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...CARRAGHER.html

I didn't realise it was as much as ten years that they didn't get a pel awarded against them at home though
    So I just watched the highlights of the game Carragher is alluding to and it’s not really a soft penalty, he’d have been fuming if Liverpool had not been awarded similar pen. Valencia went down easily but Johnson utterly clumsy and bundled him over.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So I just watched the highlights of the game Carragher is alluding to and it’s not really a soft penalty, he’d have been fuming if Liverpool had not been awarded similar pen. Valencia went down easily but Johnson utterly clumsy and bundled him over.
    nice try but how does tht prove me wrong when i say people claimed Fergushite was worth ten points a season...?