Page 109 of 119 FirstFirst ... 95999107108109110111 ... LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,090 of 1181

Thread: The next manager..

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Overmars View Post
    For my own sanity, I’m just going to believe he’s this great mind thats set for big things in the game. Rather than a complete rookie who’s never managed a game in his life...
    He could be both, I suppose...

Any manager starts by default with some good will but it will evaporate very quickly if results don't pick up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If he ships out most of these losers then he’ll get my respect for sure. Start from scratch and see where that takes us.

For my own sanity, I’m just going to believe he’s this great mind thats set for big things in the game. Rather than a complete rookie who’s never managed a game in his life...
    He'll have no goodwill, he'll need to pick the correct lineups, the system should become clear very quickly and any changes should be quite evident early on. otherwise, much like Ljungberg things will turn sour very quickly for him.

5 million is quite a lot for a guy with no experience, if we have to pay compensation as well it would make you wonder why we couldn't pay up for a proven manager.

Anyway, I don't trust the club at all, they've shown themselves to be very complacent and lacking in knownledge so I'm not holding out too much hope for this guy, at least with a proven manager we'd have something to make us believe he can make things happen, Arteta is basically just a punt based on some complimentary words from some guys he's friendly with, not exactly a ringing endorsement of his ability to do the job.

Administrator McNamara That Ghost...'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If he ships out most of these losers then he’ll get my respect for sure. Start from scratch and see where that takes us.

He has managed before tbf..

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45555227

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by McNamara That Ghost... View Post
    "Assistant coach Mikel Arteta took over duties in the dugout but the former Arsenal midfielder oversaw a disjointed performance which was as flat as the atmosphere inside the ground."

i can see now why he's a perfect fit...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Arteta must be a very very confident man if he believes he can sort out this mess given he has never managed a football club to date. It's a huge job, we as fans expect some kind of instant improvement even if we accept that the squad is short in most areas.

I don't know what to really think anymore, I wasn't massively in favour of Ancellotti despite the fact he was an elite manager in the past, the past being the key word here.

I dunno...I'll get behind Arteta, he comes highly endorsed by a lot of the current elite managers so he must have something about him.

But let's make no mistake, he has a big job on his hands, we are in a real mess right now and have lots of work to do both in terms of improving not only the performances but also the results.

We have a lot of personnel issues too...they need ironing out immediately. Anybody who wants out should be made available IMO, there is not one player in this team / squad who is indispensable IMHO.
    Last edited by selassie; 17-12-2019 at 02:29 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Let’s face it, this is probably going to be 90% a youth development role for whoever takes over anyway (at least to start with), so I don’t think we’ve got much to lose by building around an up-and-coming coach like Arteta at this point.

I’m pretty sure one or both of Aubameyang and Lacazette will be leaving within the next couple of windows - regardless of who takes charge, I don’t think either player can can afford to wait around to see how it works out now, and in any case we’ll probably have to sell them anyway to raise funds and slash the wage bill. As for the rest of the “experienced” players, I can’t think of anyone we have over the age of 25 (apart from the keepers) who adds a damn thing to this team, and who I wouldn’t sell in a cold minute, if I could.

If we do get the clear out of the players we want, then we’re going to be left with a very, very young group at the end of it. And if we somehow manage to raise some funds through sales to reinvest then we’re going to see yet more younger players coming in (hopefully ones that are at least already proving it at a senior level, but young nonetheless). Realistically, those conditions are going to limit the type of candidate who is going to be a) interested in, and b) suitable for this gig.

Much as we might want someone to come in to rail and rage at the budget and the guys in charge - to demand a spending spree and instant transformation - that isn’t going to be helpful now. The money is no longer there to solve the problem in that way. We had one shot at the quick fix and spending our way back into the CL spots after Wenger left, and before we’d gone too many seasons without CL income, and we fucked it up by hiring the wrong man. Now we have little choice but to play the long game and restructure. That means we need someone who knows what he’s walking into and is prepared to work with the club, with what we have, while we get our house in order and sort out the mess behind the scenes...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I am invisible View Post
    Let’s face it, this is probably going to be 90% a youth development role for whoever takes over anyway (at least to start with), so I don’t think we’ve got much to lose by building around an up-and-coming coach like Arteta at this point.

I’m pretty sure one or both of Aubameyang and Lacazette will be leaving within the next couple of windows - regardless of who takes charge, I don’t think either player can can afford to wait around to see how it works out now, and in any case we’ll probably have to sell them anyway to raise funds and slash the wage bill. As for the rest of the “experienced” players, I can’t think of anyone we have over the age of 25 (apart from the keepers) who adds a damn thing to this team, and who I wouldn’t sell in a cold minute, if I could.

If we do get the clear out of the players we want, then we’re going to be left with a very, very young group at the end of it. And if we somehow manage to raise some funds through sales to reinvest then we’re going to see yet more younger players coming in (hopefully ones that are at least already proving it at a senior level, but young nonetheless). Realistically, those conditions are going to limit the type of candidate who is going to be a) interested in, and b) suitable for this gig.

Much as we might want someone to come in to rail and rage at the budget and the guys in charge - to demand a spending spree and instant transformation - that isn’t going to be helpful now. The money is no longer there to solve the problem in that way. We had one shot at the quick fix and spending our way back into the CL spots after Wenger left, and before we’d gone too many seasons without CL income, and we fucked it up by hiring the wrong man. Now we have little choice but to play the long game and restructure. That means we need someone who knows what he’s walking into and is prepared to work with the club, with what we have, while we get our house in order and sort out the mess behind the scenes...
    The only issue about the youth development is our youths aren't that good. Losing Aubameyang and/or Lacazette might well be terminal for us, they pretty much score all our goals, without them we'd be in real trouble.

Right now it's not looking good, we're in a downward spiral and it looks likes the club is choosing to embark on some sort of youth project MKII, the first one was an utter disaster. Anyway I don't trust the club to get anything right, generally they make the wrong choice. Everytime we're at a crossroads there's hope we can change direction and move forward again, but evertime the club disappoints and effectively cements our place as a club who can no longer compete.

Football is full of clubs like us, clubs who were even more successful, AC Milan for example, we're the English version and sadly with the way things are going I'm not sure it can be reversed. We've been complacent for too long, when 4th place is the limit of your ambition eventually clubs catch up and overtake you an that's exactly what's happened.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some paper talk that the players preferred Ancelotti.
    Yeah, I bet they did! A man who’s training sessions were so relaxed that the Bayern players had to organise their own in secret... our lot would love that!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I am invisible View Post
    Yeah, I bet they did! A man who’s training sessions were so relaxed that the Bayern players had to organise their own in secret... our lot would love that!
    Also a man who has won the CL and league titles, it's only natural top players would prefer a top manager, just like they'd prefer us to sign top players rather than unknowns.

With Arteta, given our situation the threat of relegation becomes very real, you can't expect someone who's never managed to come in and have an instant impact with no experience, Zidane and Guardiola took charge of Real and Barca but they had managed the B teams in a lower league prior to that and also came into teams with a host of top players who weren't in in trouble in the league.

Nagelsman struggled in his first season a Hoffenheim and was close to relegation, it took him time for him to sharpen his skills.

I'm frankly astonished a club of our stature would take a risk like this, it could end very badly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Özim View Post
    Also a man who has won the CL and league titles, it's only natural top players would prefer a top manager, just like they'd prefer us to sign top players rather than unknowns.

With Arteta, given our situation the threat of relegation becomes very real, you can't expect someone who's never managed to come in and have an instant impact with no experience, Zidane and Guardiola took charge of Real and Barca but they had managed the B teams in a lower league prior to that and also came into teams with a host of top players who weren't in in trouble in the league.

Nagelsman struggled in his first season a Hoffenheim and was close to relegation, it took him time for him to sharpen his skills.

I'm frankly astonished a club of our stature would take a risk like this, it could end very badly.
    Well if it ends badly then we can sack Arteta and bring in Alladyce or Pulis to save us from relegation.