Page 11 of 171 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast

Thread: Luis Suarez thread

Resident Liverpool Fan Shaqiri Is Boss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ollie the optimist View Post
    tonights daily mirror are saying that for the first time liverpool have admitted he is for sale but at 50 million only.

thats their first position weakened, by saying he is for sale has weakened them massively even if they say for 50 million only. next step is a transfer request, weakens them further. i reckon he will go around 45 million
    Our position hasn't changed; we have said [never directly obviously, officially he's not for sale... ha] that we would consider bids of around £50m. In fact I just read an article from the end of May which is playing pretty much how it is now; we would consider bids of around £50m, he has a clause in his contract at £40m that allows him to speak to other clubs if he so wishes but he would have to put in a transfer request to force our hand.

Whether we get that or not, who knows. We probably won't, and we probably never expected to.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Niall_Quinn View Post
    So provided the people who disagree with you remain silent all is well? It can be left at that?

It's a generous offer, I'll have to think about it.
    Feel free to try and sugarcoat Suarez if you wish. I've said it's hypocritcal. You especially shouldn't be preaching about bigger ethical issues if you're able to whitewash this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Suarez Is Boss View Post
    Our position hasn't changed; we have said [never directly obviously, officially he's not for sale... ha] that we would consider bids of around £50m. In fact I just read an article from the end of May which is playing pretty much how it is now; we would consider bids of around £50m, he has a clause in his contract at £40m that allows him to speak to other clubs if he so wishes but he would have to put in a transfer request to force our hand.

Whether we get that or not, who knows. We probably won't, and we probably never expected to.
    i think though if liverpool expected bids, they would be from madrid or barcelona and they would pay the silly money. i dont think they ever imagined that the only serious bid, one which activvates the clause, would come from Arsenal. nor that suarez would want to talk to them, seem open to joining them. (which i believe he is otherwise he wouldnt want to talk us at all)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    independent going with the story that suarez and his people believe it is a release clause not a clause that they can talk to him

The Liverpool striker Luis Suarez is expected to tell Brendan Rodgers tomorrow that he wants to speak officially to Arsenal about a move following their bid of £40m plus £1, which the player believes obliges Liverpool to sell.

Suarez and his agent, Pere Guardiola, brother of the Bayern Munich manager Pep, have worked on the understanding that a clause in the player’s contract states that Liverpool’s failure this season to secure Champions League football means any bid in excess of £40m from a club in the competition would require Liverpool to sell the player. They are mystified as to why Liverpool have rejected the Arsenal bid out of hand.

In private, Arsenal believe that the offer is adequate for them to be allowed to talk to Suarez. They made the bid specifically on the understanding that it would force the issue.

The Gunners are set to miss out on their second option, the Real Madrid striker Gonzalo Higuain, as he and Liverpool goalkeeper Pepe Reina both passed their medicals with Napoli today. While there are obvious fears that Higuain moving to Italy could trigger a bid from Real for Suarez – leaving Arsenal hunting for a new striker – the Uruguayan’s position is that he does not have a preference for Madrid. Arsenal are aware that they are playing a delicate game of negotiation but are confident that they can get Suarez.

Napoli are thought to have an agreement with Real Madrid to buy Higuain for £31m, more than Arsenal have offered, with that deal now expected to be completed.

There is no guarantee that, even with the proceeds from Higuain’s sale, Madrid would outbid Arsenal for Suarez and, as is their way, the Spanish club would probably try to make one of their unwanted players part of the deal.

A day of tension between the two Premier League clubs ended with Suarez making his first appearance for Liverpool – on tour in Melbourne, Australia – since he bit Branislav Ivanovic on the arm at Anfield on 21 April. A 72nd-minute substitute, he set up the second goal for Iago Aspas in a 2-0 Liverpool win over Melbourne Victory in front of 95,446 fans at the MCG.

After the game, Rodgers said he was not surprised that a player of Suarez’s calibre should attract big-money offers from rival clubs but that the Uruguayan should remember how the Liverpool fans have stuck by him despite all the controversy that has engulfed him at times.

“I think the support that he’s received from the supporters and the people of the city of Liverpool has been unrivalled,” Rodgers said.

“In the period of time, he’s missed a lot of games for the club through various reasons. And the people have stood by him like a son and really looked after him.

“So I’m sure whatever happens in the coming weeks, that will be in his mind because it’s certainly something you can never forget.”

The expectation is that the player will tell Liverpool that he wants to leave and would accept a move to Arsenal. Should an offer of that size, or greater, be accepted by Liverpool it would break Arsenal’s record transfer fee by some margin. The club’s record transfer has never been clear but is thought to be the 2009 deal for Andrei Arshavin, worth more than £15m.

In response to Arsenal’s offer, the principal owner of Liverpool, John W Henry, provoked a considerable response when he tweeted: “What do you think they’re smoking over there at Emirates?” The club have stated consistently that Suarez, who is four games into a 10-match ban for biting Ivanovic, is not for sale and it is clear that if he is to leave then it will require the player to force the situation.

Beyond Suarez and Higuain, Arsenal have a much-reduced set of options, possibly including the Manchester City striker Edin Dzeko. Wayne Rooney, another target, is the focus of Chelsea’s remaining activity in the window and they have always been determined to out-bid Arsenal for the player should Manchester United consent to sell.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ollie the optimist View Post
    i think though if liverpool expected bids, they would be from madrid or barcelona and they would pay the silly money. i dont think they ever imagined that the only serious bid, one which activvates the clause, would come from Arsenal. nor that suarez would want to talk to them, seem open to joining them. (which i believe he is otherwise he wouldnt want to talk us at all)
    Don't rule out Madrid just yet. They've got more money from the Higuain sale. It seems as though most news stories are pointing towards the signing of Bale and let's hope it stays that way.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Power_n_Glory View Post
    Don't rule out Madrid just yet. They've got more money from the Higuain sale. It seems as though most news stories are pointing towards the signing of Bale and let's hope it stays that way.
    yeah i think they will go for bale first, felt all summer he has been their target, actually felt that ever since they set up that partnership with spurs last summer.

i alos wouldnt be surprised if liverpool sold suarez to madrid for less then they want from us

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    also isnt it nice that for once, a summer saga is us buying someone elses best player not us selling ours? it feels quite odd, a good odd though. hope it stays like this for many years

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Power_n_Glory View Post
    Feel free to try and sugarcoat Suarez if you wish. I've said it's hypocritcal. You especially shouldn't be preaching about bigger ethical issues if you're able to whitewash this.
    Whitewash? Bit racist.

But I'm okay with going along with your plan and ignoring everything except the football. Cheers for suggesting it, your whitewash is much better than mine.
    Für eure Sicherheit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do hope we are working on other deals which are a little more sensible.

This all just seems so un-arsenal.

I personally would relish the signing of Bernard, and bringing Cesc home (if we can find a way).

Then maybe a few squad fillers.
    It's better to burn out, than to fade away.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seems there's some 3rd party ownership deal with Bernard, which could prevent him coming to England.