User Tag List

Page 111 of 458 FirstFirst ... 1161101109110111112113121161211 ... LastLast
Results 1,101 to 1,110 of 4574

Thread: Summer Transfer Misery and Recriminations.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kano View Post
    I don't see why he would when he called him the best striker in the Premier, mid-way through last season.
    Come on Kano, what Wenger says and does don't always go hand in hand. I think if Vardy struggles a bit which I'm sure he will at some stage if he joins us Wenger will have him out wide & Giroud through the middle.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Niall_Quinn View Post
    So what are you all saying? That we should persist with the bollocks system we have, and therefore Vardy doesn't fit? By logical extension you must also be saying that despite Wenger's bid he doesn't see this, he somehow thinks Vardy is ideal. After all he's the first striker we've bid for. What's that bid all about then? Trying to buy a square peg for a round hole? Is it impossible to entertain the idea Wenger may be trying to make adjustments to the system, hence Vardy? In fact isn't that a sensible conclusion to reach?

Now I know we are dealing with Wenger, so maybe he sees Vardy as an able backup for Cech. But probably not. You are all just assuming we will persist with the failed system that hasn't served us. And if we had put a bid in for Morata or Ibrahimovich I'd be inclined to think the same. But we've put a bid in for Vardy. So we might say hey, he won't fit the system. But if the system is changing then that argument is washed away.

And anyway, of course, the argument is built on the myth Vardy is incapable unless a ball is lumped over the top. So it's kind of generous to entertain the argument in the first place.
    He has players in his current squad that can change the system. He hasn't set us up to play on the counter when Walcott starts and he hasn't done that when Welbeck has started. Joel Campbell started his career as striker and could be given a go up front. Sanchez as well. So it's not as if we don't have options or haven't had the option to try a different set up. I think you're being slightly naive.

Also, this isn't a myth about Vardy only thriving off balls over the top. You've constructed that argument from thin air and think people are being swept away the media some how. I don't pay attention to that crap. If you're looking at his goals and counting how many of those goals didn't come from a ball over the top hoof, you're not looking at what I'm looking at. I'm basing my argument off two teams with very different attacking philosophies. One team plays counter attacking football and the other plays the possession game and pins an opponent back trying to ware them down with a million passes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by selassie View Post
    Come on Kano, what Wenger says and does don't always go hand in hand. I think if Vardy struggles a bit which I'm sure he will at some stage if he joins us Wenger will have him out wide & Giroud through the middle.
    No I honestly do not see that at all. He has placed other, younger, players out wide, rightly or wrongly, as part of their development over the years. But I can't think of a single first team player he has bought, let alone one that costs £20m (or perhaps more) and then played them absurdly out of position consistently. He clearly wants a striker and he's buying a striker. A player he consistently praised last season for his scoring ability. I think it's nuts to think that he'd buy a player who just scored over twenty Prem goals and then move him away from the goal. It's not going to happen. He will play as a striker and even if we don't change our system he will fit in and be an improvement.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Niall_Quinn View Post
    So what are you all saying? That we should persist with the bollocks system we have, and therefore Vardy doesn't fit? By logical extension you must also be saying that despite Wenger's bid he doesn't see this, he somehow thinks Vardy is ideal. After all he's the first striker we've bid for. What's that bid all about then? Trying to buy a square peg for a round hole? Is it impossible to entertain the idea Wenger may be trying to make adjustments to the system, hence Vardy? In fact isn't that a sensible conclusion to reach?

Now I know we are dealing with Wenger, so maybe he sees Vardy as an able backup for Cech. But probably not. You are all just assuming we will persist with the failed system that hasn't served us. And if we had put a bid in for Morata or Ibrahimovich I'd be inclined to think the same. But we've put a bid in for Vardy. So we might say hey, he won't fit the system. But if the system is changing then that argument is washed away.

And anyway, of course, the argument is built on the myth Vardy is incapable unless a ball is lumped over the top. So it's kind of generous to entertain the argument in the first place.
    I have more faith of there being no more mass shootings in US than I have in AW ever changing his style. Here is my take on why AW is going for Vardy... I think he is looking at him as a replacement for Walcott. This means that we have a player who can play 'all across the front line' and also satisfies our 'english quota'. I cannot see Wenger taking Giroud off the top or possibly playing two up top.

And like PnG mentioned.. we already have the resources in our disposal to change our style of play with the current players. To point at Vardy to show that Wenger may have turned a page is naive.
    Arsene Wenger, the only football manager that got paid 8 million quid to do nothing but sit on his arse..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kano View Post
    No I honestly do not see that at all. He has placed other, younger, players out wide, rightly or wrongly, as part of their development over the years. But I can't think of a single first team player he has bought, let alone one that costs £20m (or perhaps more) and then played them absurdly out of position consistently. He clearly wants a striker and he's buying a striker. A player he consistently praised last season for his scoring ability. I think it's nuts to think that he'd buy a player who just scored over twenty Prem goals and then move him away from the goal. It's not going to happen. He will play as a striker and even if we don't change our system he will fit in and be an improvement.
    Lukas Podolski. Played as a central striker or second striker for his previous club FC Koln. Even at Bayern he'd play predominantly play these central positions. Didn't cost £20m but £11m was a lot for us before the new sponsorship money. We knew we were losing RVP and we sign two experienced first team strikers in Giroud and Podolski. Pod had just come from scoring 18 goals for a team that came bottom of the league. That's pretty good record considering he's playing for a struggling team. But he arrives at Arsenal and we play him on the left wing.

Now this goes back to what NQ said.

Is it impossible to entertain the idea Wenger may be trying to make adjustments to the system, hence Vardy? In fact isn't that a sensible conclusion to reach?
    Thinking back to when we had signed Giroud and Podolski, the assumption was that we'd play a two man striker system. Combine the two to replace RVP's goals. Combined as a pair they may make up for what the others deficiencies. Giroud's good team play combined with Pod's clinical finishing. But that didn't happen. We stick him out on the left so even when in a shooting situation he's most likely going to be on his weaker foot. Thank goodness he was able to shoot with his laces and outside of his boot otherwise he'd have been even more useless in that position.

After his debut, where he played just over an hour as a striker, he didn't play again in that role until the end of the season. A run of 4 games and that was all he was given. Not once did we try to change the system and play him and Giroud up front. It made no sense not to try to combine the pair. Pod lacked Giroud's hustle and build up play but was clinical in front of goal and had some acceleration to get beyond defenders. I have no idea why Wenger wouldn't even attempt a different system. Don't assume to know what the heck Wenger would do if we signed Vardy. He might not even start over Giroud. He's way to rigid and I've given up hope that he'll change his ways.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fakeyank View Post
    I have more faith of there being no more mass shootings in US than I have in AW ever changing his style. Here is my take on why AW is going for Vardy... I think he is looking at him as a replacement for Walcott. This means that we have a player who can play 'all across the front line' and also satisfies our 'english quota'. I cannot see Wenger taking Giroud off the top or possibly playing two up top.

And like PnG mentioned.. we already have the resources in our disposal to change our style of play with the current players. To point at Vardy to show that Wenger may have turned a page is naive.
    Exactly how I feel. It's not even anything against Vardy. It's the damn manager.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have no discernible system to speak of anyway.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Power_n_Glory View Post
    Lukas Podolski. Played as a central striker or second striker for his previous club FC Koln. Even at Bayern he'd play predominantly play these central positions. Didn't cost £20m but £11m was a lot for us before the new sponsorship money. We knew we were losing RVP and we sign two experienced first team strikers in Giroud and Podolski. Pod had just come from scoring 18 goals for a team that came bottom of the league. That's pretty good record considering he's playing for a struggling team. But he arrives at Arsenal and we play him on the left wing.

Now this goes back to what NQ said.

Thinking back to when we had signed Giroud and Podolski, the assumption was that we'd play a two man striker system. Combine the two to replace RVP's goals. Combined as a pair they may make up for what the others deficiencies. Giroud's good team play combined with Pod's clinical finishing. But that didn't happen. We stick him out on the left so even when in a shooting situation he's most likely going to be on his weaker foot. Thank goodness he was able to shoot with his laces and outside of his boot otherwise he'd have been even more useless in that position.

After his debut, where he played just over an hour as a striker, he didn't play again in that role until the end of the season. A run of 4 games and that was all he was given. Not once did we try to change the system and play him and Giroud up front. It made no sense not to try to combine the pair. Pod lacked Giroud's hustle and build up play but was clinical in front of goal and had some acceleration to get beyond defenders. I have no idea why Wenger wouldn't even attempt a different system. Don't assume to know what the heck Wenger would do if we signed Vardy. He might not even start over Giroud. He's way to rigid and I've given up hope that he'll change his ways.
    :goodpost: You've got him here, Podolski is a perfect example, he'd scored goals up front before he came and as you say ended up on the wing, some people like to live in denial.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Leicester vice chairman has as good as said Vardy is staying at Leicester. So I wonder if there is a plan B.....

Asian Clique Head Bhaiya The Emirates Gallactico's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralpheroo72 View Post
    Leicester vice chairman has as good as said Vardy is staying at Leicester. So I wonder if there is a plan B.....