Page 112 of 119 FirstFirst ... 1262102110111112113114 ... LastLast
Results 1,111 to 1,120 of 1181

Thread: The next manager..

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fakeyank View Post
    I did not see him making drastic changes this squad needs to become competitive. We need to teach our group of players basic tactics- off the ball positioning, first touch, passing etc before we can even dream of becoming top 4 again.
    We were a couple of points off top 4 last year.
    We should have finished top 4, but for a Wengeresque collapse we would have.
    This squad aren't as bad as some people are making out although agree about the coaching.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post
    We were a couple of points off top 4 last year.
    We should have finished top 4, but for a Wengeresque collapse we would have.
    This squad aren't as bad as some people are making out although agree about the coaching.
    Individually and on paper, I think our squad is easily a top 4 team, however what has happened over the last 9-10 months if that the team has lost an identity, game plan and basic football skills. I think we need someone to bring all of that back, and I believe that can happen once we go back to basics and start from the ground up.
    Arsene Wenger, the only football manager that got paid 8 million quid to do nothing but sit on his arse..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I too do not think Ancelotti would have done well at the club. He has recently been shite wherever he has gone and his stock is on the decline.. I did not see him making drastic changes this squad needs to become competitive. We need to teach our group of players basic tactics- off the ball positioning, first touch, passing etc before we can even dream of becoming top 4 again.
    We need to never, ever talk about top 4 again. As we have seen, top 4 is meaningless to anyone bar the money men. What difference does it make to the fans is we qualify for the CL? Just means they waste more of their money. We aren't going to win it, or even properly compete in it. It's Wenger's biggest con. His eternal excuse for not being able to seriously challenge and his get out of jail (with a pay rise) card to play with the board every year. Top 4, top 4, top 4, top 4... Bullshit!

I want to see a team that can play decent football. That'll do for now. The eradication of the tippy tappy, sideways, backwards dross once and for ever.
    Für eure Sicherheit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I too do not think Ancelotti would have done well at the club. He has recently been shite wherever he has gone and his stock is on the decline.. I did not see him making drastic changes this squad needs to become competitive. We need to teach our group of players basic tactics- off the ball positioning, first touch, passing etc before we can even dream of becoming top 4 again.

You can see how off the pace we were with the basics with things like trying to play out from the back - City can do it because they probably spend untold hours drilling their defenders to receive a pass under pressure like a peak-Barca midfield, whereas Emery looks like he thought he could just tell Sokratis to stand at the side of the area and go from there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I am invisible View Post

You can see how off the pace we were with the basics with things like trying to play out from the back - City can do it because they probably spend untold hours drilling their defenders to receive a pass under pressure like a peak-Barca midfield, whereas Emery looks like he thought he could just tell Sokratis to stand at the side of the area and go from there.
    This is why Ozil, despite his ridiculous pay packet, remains crucial to this team. He's about the only one who doesn't shit down his legs when he gets the ball. And he knows how to use it, instead of passing it back and then authoritatively gesturing to the poor sod you just passed into trouble to get it up the field. Have you seen how often they do that? Bottle the pass and then issue instructions the second they've got rid of the ball? Embarrassing stuff.
    Für eure Sicherheit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Niall_Quinn View Post
    We need to never, ever talk about top 4 again. As we have seen, top 4 is meaningless to anyone bar the money men. What difference does it make to the fans is we qualify for the CL? Just means they waste more of their money. We aren't going to win it, or even properly compete in it. It's Wenger's biggest con. His eternal excuse for not being able to seriously challenge and his get out of jail (with a pay rise) card to play with the board every year. Top 4, top 4, top 4, top 4... Bullshit!

I want to see a team that can play decent football. That'll do for now. The eradication of the tippy tappy, sideways, backwards dross once and for ever.
    I dont want top 4 if it didnt mean us getting a massive injection of funds to use for transfer. Our model under Kroenke will not allow us to spend huge amounts of money to build up the squad to become competitive at the top. We have to take baby steps here and get back to the lucrative top 4 places. Then we can take the next leap to challenging Chelsea, Shitty and Liverpool.
    Arsene Wenger, the only football manager that got paid 8 million quid to do nothing but sit on his arse..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Emery looks like he thought he could just tell Sokratis to stand at the side of the area and go from there.
    Most accurate description of Emery-ball

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Niall_Quinn View Post
    This is why Ozil, despite his ridiculous pay packet, remains crucial to this team. He's about the only one who doesn't shit down his legs when he gets the ball. And he knows how to use it, instead of passing it back and then authoritatively gesturing to the poor sod you just passed into trouble to get it up the field. Have you seen how often they do that? Bottle the pass and then issue instructions the second they've got rid of the ball? Embarrassing stuff.
    totally agree re Ozil, you could see it when he came off against Citeh - we may not have been great beforehand but we completely lost any structure after he'd gone

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm still not convinced Ancellotti would have been right for us - he feels more like the type of coach you'd want in charge of a 'Galactico' squad, where the players already know their business to a high professional standard, and just need someone to stroke some egos, keep them focussed and apply the tactical finishing touches to turn them into winners. He'd have been a fine choice for a bunch of pros like the Invincibles, but with this current lot? I don't know. I think we need far, far more work than just a good coach who can pick the right team and make the right tactical calls on match days. The culture at this club is rotten and our approach to pretty much everything needs a major shake up. This is not going to be a quick fix.

Whatever concerns you have about Arteta and his lack of experience in the dugout (all valid), I'll say this for him - I think he's probably the only candidate we're looking who truly understands the size of the job at hand, and just how bad things are right now. He was there at the tail end of Wenger's reign, when standards had dropped off a cliff, and he went straight from that to City with their elite set-up and their ambitions to conquer the world - he will be painfully aware of how stark the difference is between us and genuine contenders, and he should have a plan for it. With all the other candidates, I genuinely don't think any of them fully understand what they'd be walking into...
    there's a lot of sense there but my fear is of how much further we might slide if it proves that Arteta needs a few months to get the hang of things, whereas Ancellotti would i hoped have been able to get them into some kind of purposeful mentality and shape quickly - i totally get it would be a short-term approach adnd a longer-term one would be preferable in a lot of ways, but i'm just worried that we really are still not far away from the bottom three...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Individually and on paper, I think our squad is easily a top 4 team, however what has happened over the last 9-10 months if that the team has lost an identity, game plan and basic football skills. I think we need someone to bring all of that back, and I believe that can happen once we go back to basics and start from the ground up.
    Basically agree but I don't think that has to happen by clearing out a load of players and starting again. Some need to go, but what we need is a manager who can inspire them and make them a team again. And a decent captain would help. That's all Spurs have done, Poch is a good manager but the players weren't playing for him, they got someone in who can get them going again and the results have immediately improved.
    Meanwhile, we're scrabbling around trying to recruit someone who never managed a game in his life. You couldn't make it up!