User Tag List

Page 12 of 159 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262112 ... LastLast

Thread: Fabregas goes to Barca for £35million

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've checked the stats, he was nowhere near as prolific as he'd been for us and he was 30, clearly past his peak and never going to go for as much as he would have a couple of years previously. End of the day players have the power these days. We dealt with Barca and Cesc well last summer, every year our position gets weaker and we can't do anything about that so I reckon we should get rid now while we're still in a fairly strong position.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ItsMe View Post
    Spot on, we sold him and that's fine but the money we got was scandalous for a player of his level......to a club who were desperate to sign him as well.
    And that is why we think its going to happen with Cesc as well.

Would not be surprised at all if we sold him for around £20m.

Wenger stands up against Real when they chased Vieira for how many years but for Barca, he bends over for them. A closet BBL me thinks

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Conversely you've always got some spin to make him look good.
    No, I was very critical of Wenger at the tail end of the season after the embarrassing collapse.
    But I'm not going to shift goalposts and spin EVERYTHING against him as you do.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters (TPFKA WWTL@WHL) View Post
    No, I was very critical of Wenger at the tail end of the season after the embarrassing collapse.
    But I'm not going to shift goalposts and spin EVERYTHING against him as you do.
    Yeah let's be honest, you didn't exactly have any choice, you'd have sounded ridiculous defending him after that calamitous collapse.

Our transfer policy is flawed IMO, Nasri and Clichy allowed to run down their contracts whilst nothing kids are signed up for 5 years+, we should keep the 1st teamers signed up and if we choose to sell them at least we'll get top money (especially as we seem so relucant to spend).

I agree with Cripps that the likely outcome is that we'll lose Cesc cut price, because we know that next season our position is further weakened. If you're going to try to convince your best players to stay based on a promise of success, then you need to deliver and spend money in the right areas if necessary. As I said Wenger probably had an agreement with Cesc to listen to offers after the magical "one more year".

If we lose Cesc we lose him, but I'd at least hope we get top dollar for him...with Barca seemingly being the only interested party and them coming out and saying he's not worth more than this and that, we're not in a great position. They might well be willing to wait one more season and get him for even less, who knows.
    Last edited by Özim; 21-06-2011 at 07:48 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters (TPFKA WWTL@WHL) View Post
    I've checked the stats, he was nowhere near as prolific as he'd been for us and he was 30, clearly past his peak and never going to go for as much as he would have a couple of years previously. End of the day players have the power these days. We dealt with Barca and Cesc well last summer, every year our position gets weaker and we can't do anything about that so I reckon we should get rid now while we're still in a fairly strong position.
    We were duped. At 29 he was worth £50m but after a year he's worth £16m? I don't think so. Barca are trying to pull the same jedi mind trick with Cesc and we better not nod along this time. Henry, like many other strikers Barca have bought, didn't fit into their system. Had nothing to do with him being in decline. We didn't sell him at the right time because we got stiffed on the price and still couldn't win a trophy with Henry at the Emirates before he left. What makes it even more sour is the fact that we have done nothing tangible with the transfer cash. We've downgraded in the striker department and Henry has never been replaced.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I call it like I see it. When I think Wenger deserves criticism I'll criticise.
    I'm just not going to spin every single thing against him out of blind hatred though, that's ridiculous.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With Cesc they hold all the aces unfortunately,
    1. That simply is not true.
    2. I'd love to play you at poker.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GB. View Post
    1. That simply is not true.
    2. I'd love to play you at poker.
    How is that not true:

a) He wants to go to Barca
    b) If we hold onto him another year his value drops further
    c) He's not going to sign another contract let's be realistic
    d) We convinced him to stay last summer, we don't know this but Wenger probably convinced him that last season was our year.
    e) Seems to have a lot of friends at Barca

Sure we can keep hold of him, but the fact is in the end we'll lose even more money when he inevitably leaves

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They want him, we have him.

There'll be less to go on the contract next year but they'll be in greater need of him then unless they cut off their nose to spite their face - which would probably cost them more.

And even at that, we wouldnt need to sell him next year.

This aint pretty, but they are a long way away from holding all the aces.

How is that not true:

a) He wants to go to Barca
    b) If we hold onto him another year his value drops further
    c) He's not going to sign another contract let's be realistic
    d) We convinced him to stay last summer, we don't know this but Wenger probably convinced him that last season was our year.
    e) Seems to have a lot of friends at Barca

Sure we can keep hold of him, but the fact is in the end we'll lose even more money when he inevitably leaves

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GB. View Post
    They want him, we have him.

There'll be less to go on the contract next year but they'll be in greater need of him then unless they cut off their nose to spite their face - which would probably cost them more.

And even at that, we wouldnt need to sell him next year.

This aint pretty, but they are a long way away from holding all the aces.
    Yes they do, but then they wanted Henry as well and still got him on the cheap. We also know he wants to go back, they could easily unsettle him seeing as he's friends with a load of their players.

Not sure why they would need him more next year, they want him, they don't need him.....the current midfield a few years left, the fact he has one less year left will surely mean they will be wanting to pay even less, next year he'd only have two years left on his contract.