Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Falcao.

What a beast.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good final, well in the second half at least. Madrid deserved to win, Bilbao were shocking.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by McNamara That Ghost... View Post
    The one problem I have with the competition is that there are too many teams involved in it, I think over the course of the qualifiers and CL dropouts it totals over 100 teams.

I'd like to believe we'd go in with no intention of 'resting one or two' but the reality is, that won't happen. It's a shame really because it's not a competition filled with pub teamers like some seem to think, as you allude to.
    Talks sport talking about why English clubs seem to mugg it off even teams like Stoke. Good debate tbh.

Administrator McNamara That Ghost...'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah glad it has been mentioned, I really don't get it. Especially for those managers that supposedly care about the national team. I mean, Spain have to be doing something more than just having extremely talented players to have won so many trophies at all levels, really ever since Barcelona and Sevilla won both the respective competitions.

It goes hand-in-hand with this flawed idea of 'resting' players too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah glad it has been mentioned, I really don't get it. Especially for those managers that supposedly care about the national team. I mean, Spain have to be doing something more than just having extremely talented players to have won so many trophies at all levels, really ever since Barcelona and Sevilla won both the respective competitions.

It goes hand-in-hand with this flawed idea of 'resting' players too.
    This is why i don't get why spurs and arry thought they were too good for it, they could have won it tbh but i guess the lure of the CL was too much.

Only way teams will take is more searious is if the winner gets in the CL etc. Because the top 4 won't take it serious and put a top 4 finish before it or a league title fight.

Clubs like stoke, brum etc. will make sure their survial im the prem is their priorty. I suppose the Foreign clubs just enjoy it i guess and see where it brings them.

English based teams/players just are not motivated for imo. except if they are in a Fulham type sitiuation, where you more or less have nout to play for so they went for it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure the winner should go to the Champions League as I do think a team should have the chance to defend their trophy (Atleti could still finish fourth but in all likelihood they won't). I suppose the only other way the profile would be raised in this country would be for the prize fund to be raised considerably.

If that was the case and then teams start to treat it with more respect, as a by-product of that tv companies would be more interested in screening it. Sticking all of the games on a Thursday night (for most weeks) probably isn't the greatest idea either. However UEFA don't strike me as a risk-first organisation.

The fact you'll get at least £20 million for finishing rock bottom in the Premier League probably does impact on it (and the FA Cup).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure the winner should go to the Champions League as I do think a team should have the chance to defend their trophy (Atleti could still finish fourth but in all likelihood they won't). I suppose the only other way the profile would be raised in this country would be for the prize fund to be raised considerably.

If that was the case and then teams start to treat it with more respect, as a by-product of that tv companies would be more interested in screening it. Sticking all of the games on a Thursday night (for most weeks) probably isn't the greatest idea either. However UEFA don't strike me as a risk-first organisation.

The fact you'll get at least £20 million for finishing rock bottom in the Premier League probably does impact on it (and the FA Cup).
    True but its more likely the team thats wins it would be in the CL the next year tbh. This is why i think its already devalued as a competition because the cup more or less won't be defending by the winner.

I do agree though that the demads of epl is hindering the cup comps. But i do think its easier for the Foreign team who have 1 domestic cup where as we have 2 in this country to go for plus the league too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I still think teams should have the chance to defend it, that's not to neccesarily say they will but for it to never happen is something different. And you can flip that point of around anyway - if teams are good enough to probably qualify for the Champions League the season after winning the competition, then is the carrot of qualifying for the Champions League really needed? It surely proves you can compete in your domestic league and win the tournament.

I didn't say the demands of the Premier League, it's too much of a cop out anyway. I said that the fact you get a greater sum of money for being the 20th team in the league is more financially beneficial (in terms of pure money coming in) than winning a tournament.

Teams over here don't have the Europa League to contend with later on in the season because they don't advance in it! It's not like they have any more competitions to cope with than other teams in Europe when you think about it. And it's hardly like the FA Cup and Carling Cup have strong sides fielded in it every round.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I still think teams should have the chance to defend it, that's not to neccesarily say they will but for it to never happen is something different. And you can flip that point of around anyway - if teams are good enough to probably qualify for the Champions League the season after winning the competition, then is the carrot of qualifying for the Champions League really needed? It surely proves you can compete in your domestic league and win the tournament.I didn't say the demands of the Premier League, it's too much of a cop out anyway. I said that the fact you get a greater sum of money for being the 20th team in the league is more financially beneficial (in terms of pure money coming in) than winning a tournament.

Teams over here don't have the Europa League to contend with later on in the season because they don't advance in it! It's not like they have any more competitions to cope with than other teams in Europe when you think about it. And it's hardly like the FA Cup and Carling Cup have strong sides fielded in it every round.
    So your saying the team who wins it should not need to qualify for the CL?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No I am saying the team that wins it should at least be afforded the opportunity to compete in the competition next year, even if it is eventually the case they go on to supercede that right by qualifing for the Champions League through their domestic league.