User Tag List

Page 1371 of 1385 FirstFirst ... 371871127113211361136913701371137213731381 ... LastLast
Results 13,701 to 13,710 of 13847

Thread: Random Arsenal Shit (When it's not worth starting a thread)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mac76 View Post
    yeah the Toilet Bowl is relly annoying - without it i think they would have been gradually fading away 0n the pitch and into decline, they've nothing to sustain them except that stadium and the media love-in that portrays the myth of their being a 'big club'

I'm especially annoyed they conned Haringey council (which was my own effing council at the time) into giving about them £60m to help fund it, basically by threatening to leave the borough if they didn't

you can better they won't repay the Council once they're in profit.

Still it did go massively over budget, I heard plenty of Spuds-supporting contractors were quite happy to stretch the work out to milk Levy for as much as they could...
    I am still hopeful that their luck will run out both on and off the pitch. I was really happy when they were shit.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the media love-in that portrays the myth of their being a 'big club'
    What's your metric for "big club", out of interest?
    I mean, they have a hilariously embarrassing record when it comes to trophies but by every other metric they're clearly a big club.
    It's because they're a big club that their famously echoy trophy room is so embarrassing!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post
    I mean, they have a hilariously embarrassing record when it comes to trophies but by every other metric they're clearly a big club.
    It's because they're a big club that their famously echoy trophy room is so embarrassing!
    Your final paragraph put a cheery spin on things

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post
    Well obvs i could ask you the same question - for me it's do you have a big fan base and are you regularly competing right at the top and winning trophies in general - ok we've not won the league for a while but our last FAC win was only four years ago whereas their is in the 50s or something

clearly they fail on the success front, but also I don't know about their fan base but i think it's fairly localised and nowhere near ours, Liverpools etc

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the determination is made by fan base, Tottenham is the 6th biggest club in the UK. With Man United, Liverpool, Arsenal, Man City and Chelsea bigger.

On one hand, it can be asked why a club like Spurs hasn’t won more. But then can be asked why we haven’t won a league title in twenty years or indeed why Liverpool have only won the single league title since 1990.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ok although i wonder how much of that 'fan base' is stoked up by the constant media hype about Spuds, as opposed to people who would have followed the club from their own volition

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They were invited to the Super League. That tells me they've got a big global following.
    Not as big as ours, but they're not a club with a smallish fan base restricted to North London.
    EDIT: I feel dirty for looking, but they've got 8.8m followers on Twitter.

(1991 by the way, FA Cup. Gazza et al. Now let's never speak of it again )

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ok although i wonder how much of that 'fan base' is stoked up by the constant media hype about Spuds, as opposed to people who would have followed the club from their own volition
    But then you can say that about any club, when fan base is determined is it simply domestic or foreign fan base. Where I grew up it was far more common to support Spurs than Arsenal (but then it was far more common for people to support West Ham than either of the north london clubs). But Spurs is one of the founder members of the premier league, along with Everton, Liverpool, Chelsea, United and us it’s the only club never to have been relegated from the premier league and it has in my lifetime anyway always enjoyed quite sizeable support.

I have no connection to the club because both my parents grew up in Islington. My mother on Essex Road and my father Pentonville. I do have some cousins who live in Tottenham, but the area has never been familiar to me. But given I’ve always known spurs fans…I don’t have visceral hatred for the club….they are rivals and always want to beat them, and of course don’t want them winning anything big. But beyond that, I don’t have contempt for them the way I do for Chelsea.

But then no bad thing, we see what happens in other places where football rivalry takes on a much nastier dimension such as the sectarian element in Glasgow or the stabby element between the Istanbul clubs

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also hate Chelsea and Spurs in very different ways.
    Chelsea are rotten to the core, Spurs aren't - if anything they're more to be pitied than scorned.
    But I enjoy Spurs' failings more because of the local rivalry thing.
    Certainly back in the day, when I cared about all this stuff far more than I do now, I would enjoy a victory over Spurs far more than Chelsea and take a defeat to them much harder.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know quite a few "new found" Spurs fans and they are the fucking worst kind. Their run in the Champions League in 2019 and new stadium has greatly assist this annoying craze. I loathe them more than any other club. I guess down to history and crowd disorder I unfortunately witnessed in the late 70s and 80s.