Results 1,411 to 1,420 of 3213

Thread: Summer transfer joy and happiness

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oblak looks like a bargain now!

Klopp said it best I think:

"He has nothing to do with the price, we have nothing to do with the price. It's the market, that's how it is and we will not think a lot about it."
    He's right of course, it is the market and he can either pay what has to be paid or not sign the player, thing is hes interested in making the team the most competitive possible and that's all he worries about. Why not, he's the manager after all, that's his job, not to balance the finances and workout what should and shouldn't be paid.

De Gea, Courtois, Loris and Oblak are better than this guy for sure, but if he ends up 5th best in that list and Liverpool win the league or the CL in the time he's here I'm sure they won't care too much about the money they paid.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Power n Glory View Post
    Some are getting carried away with this idea a player will forever hold their resale value. It’s not that uncommon for a player to lose form and wipe out their value. You’re right about Joe Hart. We’ve also seen it happen with Kaka, Shevchenko, Adriano, Fernando Torres….

We’ll see if Alisson has a couple more of these in him.

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/fo...-blunder-video
    Doesn't tend to happen to keepers, they tend to have longer to prove themselves, De Gea struggled at the start at Man U but he came through it and is now one of the best in the world, Loris had an indifferent start too.

This happens a lot to strikers, maybe because the new culture, style affects their confidence and they never get back to what they were, or injuries of course.

Every keeper makes mistakes, look at Loris in the world cup, but for every mistake there are dozens of goal saving saves, something an ordinary keeper doesn't do anywhere near as much.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Özim View Post
    Doesn't tend to happen to keepers, they tend to have longer to prove themselves, De Gea struggled at the start at Man U but he came through it and is now one of the best in the world, Loris had an indifferent start too.

This happens a lot to strikers, maybe because the new culture, style affects their confidence and they never get back to what they were, or injuries of course.

Every keeper makes mistakes, look at Loris in the world cup, but for every mistake there are dozens of goal saving saves, something an ordinary keeper doesn't do anywhere near as much.
    This guy has had one good season. We have no idea what's in store for him. If they're going to pay that much for a keeper, they might as well have kicked out the extra £10m-£20m for Oblak.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by selassie View Post
    Is he actually any good? I mean like World Class, top 3 best?

From what I have seen of him he just looks like a decent keeper, nothing more.

The fee they have paid for him is nuts...I would understand if he had been at the top of his game for the past 5 years, but he only really emerged as a highly rated keeper last season.
    He's the best in the world, according to Liverpool fans.
    NOTE: The location of this post has been moved and the thread title (which was previously Wenger is Leaving) has been manipulated by a notorious pro-Wenger moderator. What was previously a message that contained no profanity and made a comment on a real life event has now been manipulated by a deliberately provocative title. An old and crude propaganda and censorship technique.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This guy has had one good season. We have no idea what's in store for him. If they're going to pay that much for a keeper, they might as well have kicked out the extra £10m-£20m for Oblak.
    I'd agree with you, but spending that much they've probably done their homework, he's keeping Ederson out of the Brazil team and he's pretty good so he must have something about him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some are getting carried away with this idea a player will forever hold their resale value. It’s not that uncommon for a player to lose form and wipe out their value. You’re right about Joe Hart. We’ve also seen it happen with Kaka, Shevchenko, Adriano, Fernando Torres….

We’ll see if Alisson has a couple more of these in him.

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/fo...-blunder-video
    I think the transition of top attacking players is a lot less tricky for top goalkeepers.

I don't think that all players will retain their value.....but there are a select few who failing a 'force majeure' almost certainly will.

Even if a player like Mbappe doesn't turn out to be the second coming of Henry and isn't a once in a generation player after all...he will retain his value for some time because of both his age and what he has done to date.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Özim View Post
    I'd agree with you, but spending that much they've probably done their homework, he's keeping Ederson out of the Brazil team and he's pretty good so he must have something about him.
    This is where I say the approach should be to find out who is doing Liverpool’s homework rather than play follow the leader and think all keepers should cost that amount. Put more money behind scouting and research instead of being the last one to the party.

Better yet, if he’s that damn good, I’d want to know how Roma knew about him or what they did to get him playing at this level.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't agree with their valuation of Allison and I wouldn't want us to throw down that much on him, but you want your manager to have some conviction in his signings whether he spends a little or a lot.

Too often we have had the sense at our own club that there was little conviction about the signing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is where I say the approach should be to find out who is doing Liverpool’s homework rather than play follow the leader and think all keepers should cost that amount. Put more money behind scouting and research instead of being the last one to the party.

Better yet, if he’s that damn good, I’d want to know how Roma knew about him or what they did to get him playing at this level.
    I think we should be doing all that as a prerequisite and that the larger signings should be in addition to that basis thinking rather than the other way round, so I would agree with you on that.

I don't actually think these large signings should be the norm necessarily and if they are there's clearly other areas within a club that could be worked on.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You'd have to look at the non EU players rule in Italy, maybe it's easier for South American to come across and get a work permit, but as for finding players, clearly it's the scouting, our scouting has been terrible for years, Southampton, Atletico etc are all very good at scouting, even clubs like Juve seem to sign the right players on top of the more expensive buys.

We can hope that our new team will achieve the same, but there's no guarantee, maybe they need the other people who were with them at their former clubs to be as successful, we'll find out I guess.

Be interesting to see if the new Greek CB and young French player are any good I guess.