Results 1,481 to 1,490 of 1577

Thread: What now for Walcott?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cripps View Post
    He assists quite a few too.

So that's goals and assists. What else do we need him to do?

Make match winning saves? Rocket science? Perform brain surgery?

The expectations on Theo are ridiculous.
    Sure, why not?

He could start with his own.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For someone who claims not to watch MOTD, you sure do spout a lot of Hansens bs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Theo has really good numbers but he's not a winger and isn't playing like one either. If he was playing as a striker and putting up these number, you couldn't really complain too much about his contribution. But as a winger, he's expected to trouble opponents with his dribbling and be more creative like Robben or Di Maria. Even Gervinho operates more like a typical winger compared to how Theo has played recently and since the contract, he's been deployed as a wide second striker and it's down to Wenger wanting a goal scorer out wide instead of a creative winger.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/foo...n-Arsenal.html

'He finished in the middle,' Wenger said. 'I use him on the flank because I try to put a player in the middle who can score goals and having another player on the flank who can score it gives you a little bit of security.
    It's not helping our balance and we don't have ball carriers on the flanks. None of our wide players dribble on the ball and take on their man. With Theo, he doesn't do the tippy tappy stuff on the edge of the box either, he's just looking to exploit space and his game is more about movement now. It wasn't always like this but I think Wenger is trying to show him that he can get goals from outwide and it's like they've come to some sort of compromise since the contract talks. He's getting goals and assists but we'll have to compensate in other areas if we're giving up on another proper winger.

It worked with Freddie because our left side was the strongest and most creative. We'd focus attacking the left with Henry, Cole and Pires doing their work, Bergkamp would drop deep and Freddie would dart in from wide to get into the box from the right. Worked like a charm. Now, we just don't have those sort of partnerships and fluidity happening on the pitch. We can't really afford to have two goal scorers on the flank that hardly dribbler or take on their man. We'd probably have to get in better wing backs which would explain why Pod played better with Gibbs and I think Jenks would be a better option over Sagna if we're going to have goal scorers on each flank over creative wingers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If we sign Higuain, what does it mean for theo? In my mind that would make him 4th choice striker, if we get Rooney then 5th choice behind those two, podolski amd Giroud.

What happens to theo then? Given he wouldn't sign a new deal until he got told he would be a striker (and his 100k) will he start looming for a move given wenger has just gone out and signed more strikers, does he stay on the wing? It's an interesting one

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Theo is an option to play upfront just like any of those others.

Considering we don't have Higuain or Rooney, i wouldn't lose too much sleep over it.

It's Giroud who should be looking over his shoulder.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ollie the optimist View Post
    If we sign Higuain, what does it mean for theo? In my mind that would make him 4th choice striker, if we get Rooney then 5th choice behind those two, podolski amd Giroud.

What happens to theo then? Given he wouldn't sign a new deal until he got told he would be a striker (and his 100k) will he start looming for a move given wenger has just gone out and signed more strikers, does he stay on the wing? It's an interesting one
    Well I'm of the opinion that Theo is neither strong enough or technical enough to play up top for Arsenal.

He's an effective weapon to have and despite the fact that he divides opinion on this board, the boys stats are not to be scoffed at. Yes he fades in and out of a lot of games and does lack the Technical ability but the boy is a lethal finisher, the best in our team by a country mile.

Theo is a wide-forward, that's where he's effective and at times unplayable. He produces for this team too, the lad has bottle.

He should do as he's told and stay on the wing, especially given we have money to spend now and the likes of OX emerging.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes he fades in and out of a lot of games and does lack the Technical ability but the boy is a lethal finisher, the best in our team by a country mile.
    He's also the worst finisher in our team by a country mile, and that's the problem with Theo Walcott. He's a part time player at best.
    Für eure Sicherheit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    His numbers are solid from out right but he'll need to adjust his game. Playing as a wide striker means we lose a lot of penetration down the right and defensive cover. Maybe with Jenkinson or a more effective attacking wingback we'll improve down that side attack wise.

But I'm guessing Wenger has faith in him as a player and likes his character. In light of our recent fortunes, they could have easily let him walk or run his deal down so we could look for someone else.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Niall_Quinn View Post
    He's also the worst finisher in our team by a country mile, and that's the problem with Theo Walcott. He's a part time player at best.
    when we have gervinho and you still make statements like that i really do think you're dot cotton.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ollie the optimist View Post

if we get rooney come on, wake up.

what happens to theo? he stays first choice out on the right.

podolski will continue to stay out wide.