User Tag List

Page 149 of 312 FirstFirst ... 4999139147148149150151159199249 ... LastLast
Results 1,481 to 1,490 of 3116

Thread: Summer Transfer Speculation and Shit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd take Lewandowski.

He'd be decent backup to Giroud.
    NOTE: The location of this post has been moved and the thread title (which was previously Wenger is Leaving) has been manipulated by a notorious pro-Wenger moderator. What was previously a message that contained no profanity and made a comment on a real life event has now been manipulated by a deliberately provocative title. An old and crude propaganda and censorship technique.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    'I don't close the door if we find a player who can strengthen the squad,' said the Arsenal boss. 'We have strengthened already, but I believe part of the success is the level of cohesion. We have a good level of cohesion.

'We moved forward in the second part of the season, and that winning the FA Cup gave something to the team. On the day you cannot fail, you have to turn up and win. To turn up on the day and be capable when trophies are there improves the confidence of the team.

'What is important for myself and the squad is to see how we can carry on and move forward again. But it is still not enough. We have to move forward together, which for me is more important than dreaming about finding a miraculous player who wins you everything.

'We have the quality and it's about how much we can be stronger together.'

Is that what strengthening a squad is about -"finding a miraculous player who wins you everything"? And are we seriously using the FA Cup as a measure of our capability to compete with the top teams in Europe? And isn't it taken for granted the squad moves forward together? Is this automatically the opportunity cost of dipping into the transfer market?

If the manager isn't throwing a smokescreen here then it sounds like our summer is done and dusted. In which case, it will be an intersting battle with Utd for 3rd. But not an inspiring one.
    Für eure Sicherheit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Reynholm View Post
    I'd take Lewandowski.

He'd be decent backup to Giroud.
    And vice versa. Nobody is saying you have to throw Giroud and Coquelin out because you sign cover and alternatives.
    Für eure Sicherheit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Niall_Quinn View Post
    And vice versa. Nobody is saying you have to throw Giroud and Coquelin out because you sign cover and alternatives.
    >>>Insert Wenger killing their development quote here<<<<
    Society is now one polished horde
    Formed by two mighty tribes, the bores and the bored.

"After all, it was the Gunners’ goalkeeper who started the move that culminated in Thomas’ crowning glory. It was Lukic who, in injury time, decided to throw the ball out to Lee Dixon rather than lump it long..."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It wouldn't surprise me. We could do with a CB or DM and most certainly a striker, so Reus would be an obvious Wenger choice.
    We could make it work - between him, Sanchez and Walcott, I'm sure one of them could play through the middle, if we asked them to. Or we could just have bring him in as a second Sanchez to play on the other side of a target-man? When both your wide forwards can bang in 20+ goals a season, then we could probably get away with less-prolific CF options like Giroud and Welbeck?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bayern would demand £35mill for Lewandowski, apparently. He'd do, wouldn't he?

Looks like Di Maria is off to PSG with Utd taking a big financial hit.
    He'd do as well - sign him up!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jam Persie View Post
    I don't play football manager. Just basing this on my own involvement in sport. Sport thrives on competition and having another guy there is positive. There will be (or should be) roughly 75 games for a proper DM. I think the squad can cope with having two of them. And I agree, one of the two will emerge as the billy big bollox and he can play 45-50 of those matches, the other can pick up the rest. If he doesn't like it, he can get better.

With our injury record, we should actually sign two DM's..
    Arsene Wenger, the only football manager that got paid 8 million quid to do nothing but sit on his arse..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Carvalho has fractured his leg and is out for 3 months, so I guess we can forget about that one...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wenger has to start using his squad intelligently. How many times have we heard the "little bit sharpness, dropped a little bit, tired from the midweek game" lines?

A club like Arsenal should be a genuine contender for the PL and the CL. Really we should. We were up at the top level nationally for a short period but even before the stadium move we were starting to dip, as evidenced in that dire 2005 cup final. The writing was on the wall for that squad but Wenger didn't react. He didn't replace the back four properly (remember the Stepanovs, Silvestre, Cygan bullshit?), he didn't replace Vieira (okay we got unlucky with Diaby but look how long he persisted with that), he dumped everything on the shoulders of Henry and after that a kid called Fabregas. Then he looked to RvC and now he looks at Ozil and Alexis.

Yes, a manager has to have go-to guys he can rely on, but these players can't carry the whole load for an entire season. Maybe that's one of the reasons RvC ran away, one season with the entire club team on his shoulders was enough. You tell him some midfielder with a broken back is being signed and there goes the proverbial straw. Is Ozil here to carry the team? Is Alexis? They are good natured about it now but let's see what happens in the future of Wenger does his thing and dumps it all on them to deliver at the top level against rivals that are constantly adding quality to their squad depth.

It's not as simple as any of us think, that's true. But Wenger loves a simple option if his track record is anything to go by. It is simple to go with Coquelin for 60 odd games next season, if the player maintains his form, if he can stand the pace, if he doesn't get injured for 6 months, if, if. You can then say you've given the kid every chance to develop and claim his starting place. But what if one of those 'ifs' don't work out? Then where is the depth? The simple option leaves you only excuses when it doesn't pan out and we've heard them all before.

It's never a bad thing to add depth and it's a sensible thing to utilise 20 players across a rigorous season rather than pin everything on 11 and hope they are standing at the end of it. We saw the pace the chavs can set last season. We can't afford a bad start or a collapsing finish or a lull in the form of one of our key men. We need options so we can sustain a challenge across the span of the entire season in all competitions.

Not only that, football is about psychology too. What do you think that atmosphere at Utd is as they see new and better players walk through the door. It gives everyone confidence and expectations rise. Utd have done the right thing. Maybe they won't be able to play both their new midfielders in every game, sometimes the system won't warrant it, other times there will be injuries and suspensions. But they stand a much better chance of keeping at least one decent midfielder on the pitch than they have in previous seasons.

Fact is, Wenger should have his business done by now and the new arrivals should be heading out to Singapore with the rest of the squad. That's how you raise morale and ambitions sky high. Instead we wait and see. Maybe we will do something if top, top, top talent comes along. Well top, top, top talent is already moving backwards and forwards across Europe and no sign of us sniffing around. If we are keeping our cards to our chest, fine, sort of, because I still think we should have had things wrapped up by now. But if we are fucking around and doing the window shopping routine we though was behind us then fuck that.

Wenger said today Alexis will not start the season. He'll miss the game at Wembley and the first match against West Ham. Ox seems to be perpetually crocked. But we still have good cover in that area of the pitch. Let's hope Kos and Coquelin stay fit though, because if Wenger is happy with us pinning 60 games on those guys again it'll be a real challenge for them to stay on the pitch.
    Fantastic post, and this is what any top club with ambition does to ensure they are challenging and top of the tree.

Agree with every point you make there NQ, and find it hard to have any reasonable football/debate conversation with anyone who can't see this about the Arsenal situation. If Wenget dicks around again this time when we are very well poised to improve our squad and really challenge ....then he can go hang as far as I'm concerned. If he's staking our chances on the team as it is to compete right at the top then for his own sake I hope it pans out, and his managerial ability will make up the shortfall. Failing that, any reasonable fans being charged the Arsenal prices will have no sympathy on him and quite rightly so.
    'WHEN HE HAS A PLAN, WE BACK HIM, WHEN HE DOESN'T......WE KEEP QUIET'

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wenger has to start using his squad intelligently. How many times have we heard the "little bit sharpness, dropped a little bit, tired from the midweek game" lines?

A club like Arsenal should be a genuine contender for the PL and the CL. Really we should. We were up at the top level nationally for a short period but even before the stadium move we were starting to dip, as evidenced in that dire 2005 cup final. The writing was on the wall for that squad but Wenger didn't react. He didn't replace the back four properly (remember the Stepanovs, Silvestre, Cygan bullshit?), he didn't replace Vieira (okay we got unlucky with Diaby but look how long he persisted with that), he dumped everything on the shoulders of Henry and after that a kid called Fabregas. Then he looked to RvC and now he looks at Ozil and Alexis.

Yes, a manager has to have go-to guys he can rely on, but these players can't carry the whole load for an entire season. Maybe that's one of the reasons RvC ran away, one season with the entire club team on his shoulders was enough. You tell him some midfielder with a broken back is being signed and there goes the proverbial straw. Is Ozil here to carry the team? Is Alexis? They are good natured about it now but let's see what happens in the future of Wenger does his thing and dumps it all on them to deliver at the top level against rivals that are constantly adding quality to their squad depth.

It's not as simple as any of us think, that's true. But Wenger loves a simple option if his track record is anything to go by. It is simple to go with Coquelin for 60 odd games next season, if the player maintains his form, if he can stand the pace, if he doesn't get injured for 6 months, if, if. You can then say you've given the kid every chance to develop and claim his starting place. But what if one of those 'ifs' don't work out? Then where is the depth? The simple option leaves you only excuses when it doesn't pan out and we've heard them all before.

It's never a bad thing to add depth and it's a sensible thing to utilise 20 players across a rigorous season rather than pin everything on 11 and hope they are standing at the end of it. We saw the pace the chavs can set last season. We can't afford a bad start or a collapsing finish or a lull in the form of one of our key men. We need options so we can sustain a challenge across the span of the entire season in all competitions.

Not only that, football is about psychology too. What do you think that atmosphere at Utd is as they see new and better players walk through the door. It gives everyone confidence and expectations rise. Utd have done the right thing. Maybe they won't be able to play both their new midfielders in every game, sometimes the system won't warrant it, other times there will be injuries and suspensions. But they stand a much better chance of keeping at least one decent midfielder on the pitch than they have in previous seasons.

Fact is, Wenger should have his business done by now and the new arrivals should be heading out to Singapore with the rest of the squad. That's how you raise morale and ambitions sky high. Instead we wait and see. Maybe we will do something if top, top, top talent comes along. Well top, top, top talent is already moving backwards and forwards across Europe and no sign of us sniffing around. If we are keeping our cards to our chest, fine, sort of, because I still think we should have had things wrapped up by now. But if we are fucking around and doing the window shopping routine we though was behind us then fuck that.

Wenger said today Alexis will not start the season. He'll miss the game at Wembley and the first match against West Ham. Ox seems to be perpetually crocked. But we still have good cover in that area of the pitch. Let's hope Kos and Coquelin stay fit though, because if Wenger is happy with us pinning 60 games on those guys again it'll be a real challenge for them to stay on the pitch.
    Had to re-post this again, brilliant post.

'WHEN HE HAS A PLAN, WE BACK HIM, WHEN HE DOESN'T......WE KEEP QUIET'