User Tag List

Page 15 of 453 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565115 ... LastLast

Thread: The Wish They Were All Dead Tory Cunt Thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Letters, what are your thoughts on church folk who knock on doors to preach? We seem to get them quite a bit round my way.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This should be in the WWE thread.

Which Jesus is he talking about? There were hundreds at the time, and hundreds prior to that in older civilisations. I'm pretty damn sure that if Jesus was around today he'd spend most of his time kicking Christian arses. Considering they have forsaken him in almost every way.
    Für eure Sicherheit

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
    I'm confused, where there really hundreds of Jesus of Nazareths' or do you mean there were literally hundreds of people claiming to be the Messiah? (Which there were)

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Overmars View Post
    Hey Letters, what are your thoughts on church folk who knock on doors to preach? We seem to get them quite a bit round my way.
    That's mostly the domain of Jehovah's witnesses and The Church of Latter Day Saints (which even most Christians know is a complete racket)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie View Post
    I'm confused, where there really hundreds of Jesus of Nazareths' or do you mean there were literally hundreds of people claiming to be the Messiah? (Which there were)
    Hundreds of competing Messiahs. The video doesn't mention the name, just wanted to make sure. The historical record, such as it is, strongly suggests Jesus was a revolutionary in the true sense, somebody prepared to go to prison or be murdered in defence of his message. You only get the full treatment if you represent a genuine threat to the system. He must have been seeking change through knowledge and/ or action or else he'd have ended up as insignificant like most of the other Messiahs. You compare that to the Church and its congregation today. Certainly there is a tiny minority of Christians putting their body where their mouth is and actually helping on the ground. What about the rest of them? What's the point of a 2 billion strong army if only a few of them will fight? If they really believe that the time here on earth is an audition for heaven the why are they cleaning their cars and mowing their lawns as millions die or suffer by injustice? I don't get it. Well I do really.
    Für eure Sicherheit

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
    More importantly what does it say about them even if did take action against injustice in the hope of divine reward rather than purely out of solidarity with a fellow human being?.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Overmars View Post
    I think you have to be very careful about that kind of thing as it can be counter-productive.
    I personally wouldn't be comfortable doing it.

When the minister of my old church was new at the church he went round the area putting little notes through people's door saying he was the new minister and he'd like to call another time to introduce himself, he then followed that up with a visit. It was all very light touch, just to say hello and ask if there's anything the church could do for people. If people didn't want to talk, as I suspect most didn't, then that's fair enough and he certainly didn't go around preaching at them.

My church do 'street work' occasionally in a public place. Again, you have to be careful with that sort of thing but I guess if you're doing it in public then people at least have the option to stop and listen or not. I know that people have come to faith through that work but I don't think I'd want to get involved in it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If he means the latter then there certainly were others - don't know about hundreds - but the rest are forgotten by history.
    There's a reason for that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's mostly the domain of Jehovah's witnesses and The Church of Latter Day Saints (which even most Christians know is a complete racket)
    It's actually a duty of Christians to minister to unbelievers as well as believers as well as to strive for conversion of the unbelievers. Matthew 28 18-20

There are no grey areas with this one, it's not optional and it's a central pillar of Christianity.
    Für eure Sicherheit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    More importantly what does it say about them even if did take action against injustice in the hope of divine reward rather than purely out of solidarity with a fellow human being?.
    I don't think it would say anything less acceptable than the notion of duty to country or some other tribal ideal. In many ways it makes a lot more sense because the physical is temporary while the spirit is eternal. And the commission itself implies solidarity with mankind so that's covered by default and can only provide a beneficial outcome if the doctrine is adhered to. I don't have a problem with that, I view it as literally infinitely more worthy than the pursuit of currency which is the modern day alternative.
    Für eure Sicherheit