User Tag List

Page 15 of 36 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: What would you do about the league season?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Independent reporting today that the Premier league plan to play a World Cup style tournament in June to complete the season.

basically would be neutral venues in the midlands, several games a day with all clubs staying at indivdual hotels on lockdown so that they cant go out except for training or the game. Games to be played behind closed doors.

Stupid idea, why should some clubs lose out on home advantage just because of this? For example, we would stand a better chance of beating Liverpool at home with our fans behind us yet by playing in a neutral ground, Liverpool gain an advantage so there is no home advantage anymore.

Same for other clubs. It could be a big game in the relegation fight and a team playing at home with 40k fans cheering them on can produce a win. This is a nonsense idea imo

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What a bloody awful idea.
    They're so desperate to get money rolling in.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ollie the Optimist View Post
    The Independent reporting today that the Premier league plan to play a World Cup style tournament in June to complete the season.

basically would be neutral venues in the midlands, several games a day with all clubs staying at indivdual hotels on lockdown so that they cant go out except for training or the game. Games to be played behind closed doors.

Stupid idea, why should some clubs lose out on home advantage just because of this? For example, we would stand a better chance of beating Liverpool at home with our fans behind us yet by playing in a neutral ground, Liverpool gain an advantage so there is no home advantage anymore.

Same for other clubs. It could be a big game in the relegation fight and a team playing at home with 40k fans cheering them on can produce a win. This is a nonsense idea imo
    And for clubs that have players in quarantine? Or players recovering? Or players who refuse? Maybe ask the fans to pull on a shirt and pitch in? These guys care about one thing. Money. I understand that, it's what they are, it's what they do. Which is why they'll throw all their rules away and try any old shit, provided the cash flows. They're terrified Sky and BT (plus all those other global contracts) will demand a refund. So if they can serve up a Frankenstein shitfest offering they'll do it.

I don't think I'll be much interested in football after all this. It's primarily a collection of greedy pigs focused on the next big pay day, hiding under the cover of what used to be a sport. Too many humanitarian issues have been pushed back to the surface, putting corporate sport in its true light. It's a very unpleasant sight and one I don't want much to do with.
    Für eure Sicherheit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's been nearly a month rest, and there are still a couple of weeks to go. By normal logic, they'll need a "pre-season" to get going again, which is another month, which will be mid-May at least.

Just freaking cancel the rest of the season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the ban on gatherings is extended, which is likely, then training won’t even be able to resume till the end of April at the earliest anyway.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm convinced they'd have pretty much decided to null and void the season by now if it wasn't for the liverpool situation - oh and the money they'd lose of course

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think there is a Liverpool situation. In the sense that declaring them champions is the easy decision IMO.
    It's the CL places and relegation/promotion where you get into real trouble.
    Norwich can do one but after that it gets complicated. Villa have a game in hand. Bournemouth are 3rd from bottom on 27 points but the two teams above them are also on 27. You're on very shaky ground deciding the current bottom 3 get relegated.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just mean they wouldn't have cared about denying Citeh or Man Ure (who've both won loads of titles relatively recently) a title but the whole Liverpool bandwagon creates a much bigger headache if they deny them the title

but as far as i'm concerned null and void means just that and no results should stand, Liverpool's or anyone elses

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The results so far are already in the record books. Those are the only things that are concrete in any of this. Just make all remaining games a draw and call it. Award the titles, relegate the trash. If Villa have a game in hand then they'll get one more point than the team above them and if that's enough to keep them up then well done them. Otherwise, what's the chances they would have won that game in hand anyway? Judging by the season so far - none. And the team above them would have had to lose too. So I don't see what's so unfair about relegating them. They had 28 games to stay clear of the drop zone and they were shite for 28 games. That's more than a good enough reason to drop them.

I do think it's fair though that the 9th place team qualifies for the CL this year. There are compelling reasons for this that are hard to argue with.
    Für eure Sicherheit

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the only fair thing to do is award the title based on recent form. Say, last 3 games...