0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LDG View Post

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Adams: Arsenal wasting their time with a marquee striker

The former Gunners captain believes Arsene Wenger would be wrong to pursue a new forward as defensive worries - not goals - are the north London's side biggest problem

Former Arsenal captain Tony Adams believes Arsene Wenger should prioritise signing a new defender over buying another striker before the transfer window closes on Monday.

The Gunners have been involved in failed pursuits of both Luis Suarez and Gonzalo Higuain this summer, but Adams believes Wenger would be wrong to bring in a big-name forward as he thinks defensive worries are the biggest problem within the current squad.

"This team is so gung-ho and they are so open that the balance is not right," Adams told reporters.

"They are too susceptible to the counter-attack and they never look like keeping a clean sheet.

"It’s so scary; I sit there holding my breath every week. So to try to shell out £40m on Suarez or Wayne Rooney would be money badly spent on yet another player who can open doors in the attacking third while the back door remains wide open.

"Arsenal have not got a problem scoring goals because Giroud scored 17 last season, they have got the pace of Theo [Walcott], Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, [Jack] Wilshere, [Aaron] Ramsey. They can score from all over the pitch.

"They need someone to lock it up when it breaks down and I would be scouring Europe for the next Gilberto [Silva].

"I must have been the only person in the country doing somersaults watching Manchester United and Chelsea keeping clean sheets the other night – two fantastic, organised, solid sides giving nothing away.

"That wasn’t a boring game for me, because I was wishing Arsenal could do that more often."

Wenger's side host Tottenham on Sunday and Adams believes the north London derby will provide a difficult test for the Gunners – especially in light of Spurs’ heavy summer expenditure.

He added: "There’s not going to be a lot in it on Sunday. Tottenham have spent a lot of money, they have got better and Arsenal have not been challenging for trophies, while too many big players have walked out of the door, which has been galling for the supporters.

"Tottenham have come back to Arsenal in recent years and north London derbies have certainly changed a lot since my first one, when Stewart Robson kicked Glenn Hoddle all over the pitch and we could have a good fight."
    Why does it have to be one or the other?

Get a striker and a defender

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Frank McLintock insists Arsenal’s failed pursuit of Luis Suarez this summer has been a ‘disaster’ for his old club.

The Gunners attempted to sign the Liverpool striker by offering a fee of £40m plus one pound, a bid they believed triggered a clause in the Uruguayan’s contract allowing them to speak to him.

Liverpool denied that clause ever existed, and the move came to nothing. But McLintock believes that saga derailed all of Arsenal’s transfer plans.

He told the Alan Brazil Sports Breakfast: “The Suarez deal did us in. We spent ages trying to do that deal but it looks like they had the wrong information.

“Suarez is not the best person in the world, but he’s a fantastic player. But how can a club like Arsenal get their facts so wrong?

“They spent half the transfer window trying to get him and it’s been a bit of a disaster. I’m just hoping they might get in some really good players [before the window closes] because we need them.

“We badly need a centre-forward because we’ve only got [Olivier] Giroud. [Lukas] Podolski can sometimes play there, but he doesn’t look happy when he does. Theo Walcott can play through the middle, and Nicklas Bendtner is still on the books but he has said he doesn’t want to play for Arsenal again.

“So if Giroud gets injured we’ve got no-one. It will be disastrous for a club like Arsenal if we don’t get another centre-forward.

“We’ve got a good squad, but not a great squad. That’s why we’ve finished fourth for the past two years.

“Unfortunately for [Arsene] Wenger, when he has spent big money, they’ve all been flops, by and large, and maybe he’s a bit scared of going in and buying big.

“Man United bought Robin van Persie for £24m last summer. I don’t think Arsenal would have bought a player of that age for that much, but he’s repaid that four or five times.”

Read more at http://talksport.com/football/exclus...LTPA2PX0IUB.99
    Exactly what robson has said

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ray Parlour has hailed Arsenal’s signing of Mesut Ozil but fears the club’s failure to land a striker could prove costly.

The Gunners captured Ozil from Real Madrid in a club record £42million deal on deadline day and also landed Palermo goalkeeper Emiliano Viviano on a season-long loan.

Parlour has welcomed the new arrivals, although he reckons quality cover for in-form frontman Olivier Giroud is still badly needed.

Speaking on the Alan Brazil Sports Breakfast, the former Arsenal star said: “It is going to be exciting now with Jack Wilshere, [Santi] Cazorla, [Theo] Walcott, [Lukas] Podolski, when is he fit, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain and Ozil now.

“The only problem I’m worried about is the forward line. Giroud was excellent at the weekend. I thought he played ever so well against Tottenham. He got the goal, really held the ball up well and he was a battering ram at times, but can he stay fit?

“If he does get a niggle or get injured, then the next player that can play up there really is Walcott. Podolski is out for ten weeks. That’s the only position [I was worried about].

“If he [Giroud] does get injured, they are going to be a little bit light up top. That was one where I thought, they got in Ozil, fantastic, but could they get a striker in as well?”

Read more at http://talksport.com/football/exclus...mxAUk7qFGe4.99
    What we are all thinking.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ozil was Madrid's best player after Ronaldo, says Fabregas

The Spain international has voiced his admiration for the new Arsenal star and has once more stressed that he has no plans to leave Barcelona

Barcelona midfielder Cesc Fabregas says new Arsenal signing Mesut Ozil was Real Madrid's best player after Cristiano Ronaldo and is surprised at los Blancos' decision to sell the Germany international.

The attacking midfielder left Madrid for the Gunners on deadline day of the summer transfer window for a transfer fee believed to be in the region of €50 million.

And Fabregas insists Ozil will prove to be a fine addition for his former team.

"Ozil was the second-best player at Real Madrid behind Cristiano Ronaldo," Fabregas told COPE.

"I could identify with him really well as we have a similar style of play. He's an amazing signing for Arsenal."

The midfielder then went on to stress that he has no intention of leaving Barcelona in the foreseeable future after rejecting a move to Manchester United earlier this summer.

"I enjoy a difficult challenge and succeeding at Barcelona is perhaps the toughest challenge there is. I hope to retire here. Leaving Barca has never been in my head," he added.

"I knew that there were clubs where I could earn more money when I joined Barcelona, but returning here was my dream.

"I made more money at Arsenal than now at Barca. I will not even leave if I could earn twice as much somewhere else."

Fabregas, 26, has a contract with Barcelona until June 2016.

Ozil is 10 times the player you are/were you cunt.

Also good to see he doesn't want to leave Barca. Puts an end to the nightmare scenario of him coming here which no gooner wants

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gervinho slams Wenger tactics

The forward believes he would've been a success at the Emirates had he operated in his preferred role

Gervinho has slammed Arsene Wenger for playing him out of position throughout his two years at Arsenal. The Ivorian left the Emirates Stadium to join Roma in an €8 million deal last month, after scoring just 11 goals in 63 appearances in what proved to be a disappointing stint in the Premier League. Gervinho - who joined Arsenal from Lille in 2011 - is hoping to resurrect his career at the Stadio Olimpico, but has been quick to stress that he could have performed better for Wenger's side if the Frenchman had deployed him as a central striker. "I was not getting much time on the pitch and was in need of this time to improve and play my best football," the 26-year-old told The Sun. "Wenger was not prepared to give it to me. Also my position on the wing was not what I was expecting and I wasn't happy with it. "It would have helped had he (Wenger) shown more confidence in me." Gervinho signed for Arsenal after impressing with his displays for Lille, with whom he won the Ligue 1 title and the Coupe de France in the 2010-11 season.
    Wenger

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wenger didnt kill Gervinho, Gervinho not being able too hit the goal, killed Gervinho. He's doing the same at Roma already, so no need to bash Wenger on this one

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He might have a point of playing through the centre if his finishing was half decent, but it wasn't.

He's pure shit.