User Tag List

Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 816171819 LastLast

Thread: This Weekend's Fixtures (06/07 April)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HCZ_Reborn View Post
    This is why I said I thought it was folly for them to be considered title favourites. It’s technically ours to lose, but in reality it’s City who for me remain favourites and who I’d put money on for a fourth consecutive title.
    It's really hard to call.
    I keep hearing people say that Liverpool aren't that good, but there they are on the same points as us at the top of the table. That's not dumb luck at this stage of the season. We are ahead of them because of GD but we have the harder games, Liverpool just played theirs. And they have Klopp, who knows how to get a team over the line. But Pep does too and City are a machine at this stage of the season so while I actually regard them as 3rd favourites, it would be folly to write them off.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post
    It's really hard to call.
    I keep hearing people say that Liverpool aren't that good, but there they are on the same points as us at the top of the table. That's not dumb luck at this stage of the season. We are ahead of them because of GD but we have the harder games, Liverpool just played theirs. And they have Klopp, who knows how to get a team over the line. But Pep does too and City are a machine at this stage of the season so while I actually regard them as 3rd favourites, it would be folly to write them off.
    Klopp is an excellent coach, but in many ways they are benefitting from City having an off season

Liverpool have only lost twice, but they’ve won only 8 out of 15 away games. And only one win against teams in the current top six from eight games (home to Villa)

If City were firing on all cylinders neither us or Liverpool would be in the title race. Liverpool because they lack the quality they had, us because we lack options up front and our coach is vastly inferior to both Klopp and Guardiola

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    City are only 3 points down on where they were at this stage last year.
    Interestingly, so are we.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    City are only 3 points down on where they were at this stage last year.
    Interestingly, so are we.
    I think you do have a tendency to make the grand folly of comparing seasons by points totals. Unfortunately you simply can’t do that because there is always a differential in the standard of opposition. Teams drop off, Teams show massive improvement and this season despite Everton and Forest being hit with points deductions you are likely going to see all three promoted teams go straight back down.

The fact that we are three points behind where we were last season, especially when you consider that Brentford, Brighton, Newcastle were far stronger opponents last season, we may be three points worse off but actually it’s a far more considerable drop off when considering relative quality

And that applies to us and City. Guardiola has done a shocking job this season considering. The quality of our players is no where near theirs, with the exception of centre back they are superior to us in every area of the pitch.
    Last edited by HCZ_Reborn; 08-04-2024 at 02:40 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    City are clear favourites now.

We will need to end the season with a run of 17 wins out 18 to do it. It’s a huge task unless City drop some very silly points somewhere.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HCZ_Reborn View Post
    I think you do have a tendency to make the grand folly of comparing seasons by points totals
    I disagree it's a folly. What other objective measure of where you are is there?
    I remember Wenger noting in '99 when we just missed out he commended our consistency as we got the same points as the year before when we'd been champions.

there is always a differential in the standard of opposition.
    Some other teams get stronger, others get worse. Overall I doubt it hugely changes season on season.
    And if you think it does how do you measure that?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Overmars View Post
    City are clear favourites now.

We will need to end the season with a run of 17 wins out 18 to do it. It’s a huge task unless City drop some very silly points somewhere.
    Why do you say that? They've still got to go to WHL, Spurs have a good record against them.
    They have to go to Brighton, our win there was impressive but Brighton overall have a good home record.
    And West Ham...I'm not expecting much from them, but a mate of mine who supports them noted they've been known to disrupt a title run in.

I'd never discount City, but I wouldn't say they're clear favourites. Still Liverpool for me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would expect City to win their remaining home fixtures

West Ham, Luton and Wolves

Away from home

Fulham, Forest, Brighton and Spurs

I think there’s the possibility of them dropping four-fives points from those games. Spurs depends when they play them, could possibly be before the last week of the season.

What I will say now, is I don’t think any of us, Liverpool, city are going to win our remaining seven league games

Liverpool I think will finish third. The matches that will kill off their title hopes will be having to play three games back to back away from home. Fulham, Everton and West Ham. Maximum of six points for me that they’ll get…more likely four

Then they will I think also draw at home to Spurs which will finish things off for them

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why do you say that? They've still got to go to WHL, Spurs have a good record against them.
    They have to go to Brighton, our win there was impressive but Brighton overall have a good home record.
    And West Ham...I'm not expecting much from them, but a mate of mine who supports them noted they've been known to disrupt a title run in.

I'd never discount City, but I wouldn't say they're clear favourites. Still Liverpool for me.
    West Ham’s record at the Etihad is as bad as ours

They are more likely to be spoilers to Liverpool who have to go to the London Stadium, a few days after the Merseyside Derby.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They’ve been too dominant for so long now to think they will drop uncharacteristic points at this stage. Will they win all the remaining 7 games? Probably not but then if they did I don’t think anyone would be particularly surprised.

Spurs away is the one for us both where it could blow up.