Page 187 of 707 FirstFirst ... 87137177185186187188189197237287687 ... LastLast
Results 1,861 to 1,870 of 7067

Thread: Coronavirus Pandemic

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post
    One of the reasons I'm pleased I wasn't furloughed, they might have noticed that they can get by just fine without me.
    ha, yeah i remember worrying about that the one time, years ago, when i was off ill for about ten days

it works both ways though, I know someone who was off work for about nine months - i thought maybe his work might think he was expendable, but when he got back they actually gave him a pay rise as they realised all the work he was doing ...

Administrator McNamara That Ghost...'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Niall_Quinn View Post
    Chinese?

Maccy, can I be a mod when Letters' spot becomes available? I think we both know it's about time.
    You have all the credentials. I think.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll have to decide if I want to stay working at home or return to the office soon, probably.

Don't really know tbf.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by McNamara That Ghost... View Post
    I'll have to decide if I want to stay working at home or return to the office soon, probably.

Don't really know tbf.
    Depends what your journey is like. In happier times I commute on crowded trains so I probably won't do that for the foreseeable.
    I think this is going to fundamentally change the way a lot of organisations work.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Depends what your journey is like. In happier times I commute on crowded trains so I probably won't do that for the foreseeable.
    I think this is going to fundamentally change the way a lot of organisations work.
    Definitely. It’s also going to change the way people want to work. Plenty of my colleagues have said they’ve enjoyed working at home and wondered why our business can’t operate this way anyway.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Normally I just watch TV programmes on the day before on the way.

When the trains work of course. It's just a lonely old experience working from home, especially for what might be most of the year.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We are supposed to be moving offices late this year. (I say "supposed to", all the fitting out is scheduled for now so that's probably all been banjaxed by all this)
    By all accounts it seems that despite all the denials from the powers that be, there won't be anywhere near enough desks for everyone at the new place.
    A lot of us were worried about being forced to work at home more because of that.
    I like the option to but I also like the office environment so I didn't want more home working imposed on me.

Then all this happened and I have to say I have kinda got used to it. I never needed to travel in to the office - most of my work is replying to emails or in Teams calls with people all round the world so it doesn't really matter where I am. I enjoy the social aspect of work though and actually I quite like commuting. I know a lot of people don't but it gives me time to read.

So yeah, all this has played into the hands of the people planning the office move and it's probably changed the way I will work in future. Not sure if I'll ever go into an office 5 days a week any more. There was something on the BBC about one company who have decided not to have an office any more, when they need to have meetings they'll rent venues. This could fundamentally change the way a lot of people work, the internet infrastructure has demonstrably worked for people and met the demand.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by McNamara That Ghost... View Post
    It's just a lonely old experience working from home, especially for what might be most of the year.
    Sure, and that's what I liked about working in an office, the social aspect. But we have "coffee break" calls to catch up with each other which helps.
    I don't think I want to work at home all the time but this has certainly made me think I'll do it more from now on.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There was something on the BBC about one company who have decided not to have an office any more, when they need to have meetings they'll rent venues. This could fundamentally change the way a lot of people work, the internet infrastructure has demonstrably worked for people and met the demand.
    I've never really liked office culture and couldn't wait to get away from it, which is what i did when i quit my job and started working for myself from home 15 years ago.

I actually work with two organisations that are 'virtual' and if this helps to stop some people looking down their noses at companies without offices, it's a good thing IMO

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do like the social environment of an office but I’m also fortunate enough to have my own partition so I can have my own privacy too when I want it. To be honest it could save businesses a shit ton by not having office space, some of these buildings in London charge insane amounts in rent per desk.

Working at home isn’t for me as I find it harder to separate my life that way but I’d never deem it as low brow.
    Last edited by Marc Overmars; 06-05-2020 at 09:53 PM.