User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How Good Is Wenger?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wenger is good enough for 3rd/4th, which is good enough for his bosses.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    5 consecutive away wins for hte first time since 2004. 2 goals conceded from open play since losing to spurs. 26 points of 30 when we needed it most.

wenger is a dam good manager, just look at his cv and what he has done for this club and it tells you that. to keep us top four every year when spending 50p has been a miracle. this summer is huge for him and he knows it, fergie gone, mancini gone, chelsea will have a new manager too, spurs have been beaten again ( ) he knows this is his time if there ever was one. look at hte way we played the last ten games, drilled confident and secure. no panicking from the defence, no stupid mistakes. he made some brave decisions, dropping chesney for fabbianski which worked wonders. he was ruthless with vermaelen, dropped him, he came back because of suspension and played well but straight to the bench.
    there has been a change in wenger recently, just look at hte last ten games to see that, i think he knew fergie was going, and he knew if we could get top four that we could really push on. lets see what he does now but this summer will be an interesting one.

also spurs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Spirwarls
    It's better to burn out, than to fade away.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ollie is the best poster on here, tbh.

At least, since Charlie left.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i have no fucking clue tbh.

swings and roundabouts. how the fuck we've managed to finish top 4 again is beyond me.

at the same time, steve bould has been our biggest signing this season. i dont think its a coincidence that our defence is suddenly looking good (bar some suicidal defending at times but it seems to be the norm in the premier league nowadays) now bould is on the coaching staff.

but i give wenger credit for dropping verm and chez, although it makes me wonder, was bould behind it? not because i want to constantly have a go at wenger but because it seems like a bit of a coincidence that we're seeing everything we should have been seeing happen when bould has been on the coaching staff. dropping players, defence tightening up, more shape in our team etc. but thats a debate for another day.

i want wenger gone because he needs to be held accountable for his conveyor belt of fuck ups that have led to our demise. but im also realistic in the fact that the board would never sack someone who has done so much for the club. one more season of him i can take, and i hope we bloody win something next season because we deserve it after nearly a decade of shite.

but i will give him credit for turning yet another season around and ending 5 points behind city, who have splashed a shitload.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wenger out
    Für eure Sicherheit

New Signing
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post
    Gaah! He makes my head spin, he really does.

We've had a £9m net spend on transfers over the last 10 years, built a new stadium and paid off a lot of the debt, continually asset stripped and prioritised profit over ambition, bought a load of mediocre players and paid them far too much and yet...he's done it again. Top 4 trophy every single year. This year it really looked like it was game over but a brilliant run over the last couple of months and he's done it again. Top 4 secured. More points than last year, far fewer goals conceded and only 2 fewer league goals scored than last year despite selling the PL's best striker.

No trophies again of course and 8 trophyless years for a club of our stature isn't good enough. But to finish top 4 every year despite some of the money other clubs are throwing around to try and achieve it, it's pretty impressive.

Will we push on now some of the financial restraints have apparently been eased? Do we trust Wenger to make the right signings any more? Would someone else do better? Plenty of other managers would do worse.

I am not sure there are many other managers that could have achieved the level of consitency and have delivered what he has to the club as a whole. He has changed the face of AFC in terms of ground, training, brand. Having said that he needs to change and adapt.

I think that next season will be absolutely key. He needs to stay true to his word and use the end of the season as a springboard, change his philosophy, sign some real quality and really mount a challenge. If he makes the right additions next year really could be the best chance we have of getting back to the top - Rafa, Mancini and Fergie all gone..............no better opportunity than that

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you like your seasons here on to look exactly like the ones of the last 5 years. Then Wenger`s your man. Mind boggling purchases, unbelievable tactics, criminal substitutions. Insipid capitulations in the cups. Yep. Wenger it is. Good thing about Wenger is he will help the worlds population by exponentially increasing the suicide rate amongst Arsenal fans, so he is not completely useless.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Seymour Butts View Post
    I am not sure there are many other managers that could have achieved the level of consitency and have delivered what he has to the club as a whole. He has changed the face of AFC in terms of ground, training, brand. Having said that he needs to change and adapt.

I think that next season will be absolutely key. He needs to stay true to his word and use the end of the season as a springboard, change his philosophy, sign some real quality and really mount a challenge. If he makes the right additions next year really could be the best chance we have of getting back to the top - Rafa, Mancini and Fergie all gone..............no better opportunity than that
    I do think we have a good platform for success but I'm not banking on unrest at other clubs for it to happen. United will always be mentally strong enough to compete, City will spend a truck load and changing managers has never stopped Chelsea outperforming us.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
    Wenger seems to have taken it upon himself to be Atlas holding up the globe that is Arsenal, and no doubt whilst he obviously buckles under the strain he hasn't dropped the ball so to speak.

The club make North Korea seem transparent and open, so it's hard to judge the man fully without getting a real sense of what goes on at the club. I think the money is there to spend in terms of transfer fees, i think the problem is that he knows he has to get rid of players off the wage bill before he can sign anyone....and 2013 a lot of player's contracts are up so that should help exponentially....my worry is that players like Bendtner and Chamakh are still in contract until 2014 and they are never going to lower their wage demands in order to play for a smaller club.
    We can blame Wenger for that but even assuming he was solely responsible for contract negotiations (which i highly doubt) it's only endemic of the modern game.