Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Tony Adams: Graham was a better coach than Wenger

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters (TPFKA WWTL@WHL) View Post
    Better defensive coach, obviously.
    But who would I rather have as manager between Graham and Wenger?
    Wenger every day of the week and twice on Sundays
    Well it kinda depends, would I believe an George Graham team is more likely to win something....in short yes.

I don't believe in AW or his team at all now, whereas I always believed George Graham's teams could upset the odds and win, they might not have played pretty football but they could get the job done.

A mix of the two would be ideal, they're two extremes really and at this stage I don't Wenger here anymore (many others feel the same) and that suggests he's not doing a good job.
    Last edited by Özim; 10-06-2011 at 08:22 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    they cant cross as he puts players that aren't wingers

every manager needs players that do the talking for them on the pitch

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry Tuffnutz View Post
    they cant cross as he puts players that aren't wingers

every manager needs players that do the talking for them on the pitch
    That's bad management then, moreover the full backs can't cross for toffee either yet he's one of the people who loves full backs that get forward, if they can't cross they shouldn't bother getting forward.

As for players doing the talking, yes and no...a good motivator can get the best out of his players....look at Ferguson, Wenger is awful at that and makes it worse by bringing in players with no voice or leadership....they're like lemmings.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Which is why Wenger can take all the credit when they are.
    We're talking about coaching.

Players like Cesc and RVP walked in the door with great technical ability. It's not as if Wenger coached that into them. We've got guys that have been here a long time and still have fundamental flaws in their game. Guys like Djouoru, Bendtner, Denilson, Diaby, Eboue...they make the same mistakes from game to game without correction. Maybe Wenger thinks they're not progressing because the problem is psychological when it's really a technical issue.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Overmars View Post
    Graham was better at the fundamentals but having heard about how turgid the team was back in the early 90's I think Wenger is a step up.
    Graham did have a knack of getting the team to be more than the sum of its parts, Wenger doesn't seem to be able to do that. When we've won stuff it's because we've been brilliant. On the other hand Wenger has built brilliant sides, which makes it frustrating that they're unable to win stuff.

Agree with Zimm/ItsMe above, a mix of him and Wenger would be pretty good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Behind the scenes, anyone would think Wenger worked marvels with Adams. He opened up to his team-mates while Wenger was in charge and confirmed he was an alcoholic. He motivated Big Tone into winning trophies again. Yet, with Graham, Adams has once publically said that he was close to walloping him!

At first, this article seems another case of "kick Wenger while he's down" and "let's needlessly revisit past glories", but if anyone knows, it's Adams. I trust 'Mr Arsenal' enough to make an objective assessment.
    Formerly TMOKJ

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernesto View Post
    Behind the scenes, anyone would think Wenger worked marvels with Adams. He opened up to his team-mates while Wenger was in charge and confirmed he was an alcoholic. He motivated Big Tone into winning trophies again. Yet, with Graham, Adams has once publically said that he was close to walloping him!
    He also said Wenger extended his career.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He also said Wenger extended his career.
    This.
    Formerly TMOKJ

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Power_n_Glory View Post
    In most cases, we try to sign players with great technical ability, Wenger can't take all the credit.
    Yet, he is given all the blame.
    While all answers are responses, not all responses are answers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Tuesdays View Post
    I agree with his assertion that Graham's squad under-achieved. That squad should have won more titles and trophies than they did.
    You mean to say that the George Graham Arsenal underachieved like some people are accusing Wenger's Arsenal of doing? Surely that cannot be possible, it is only the influx of the namby pamby foreigners that has led to this precipitous decline in Arsenal's fortunes and character.
    While all answers are responses, not all responses are answers.