User Tag List

Page 23 of 24 FirstFirst ... 1321222324 LastLast

Thread: A fallacy quashed?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As to wenger not spending what he has got, go back and read PNG's post and ny reply to that post again. Because frankly I cannot repeat it again to you.

A sugar-daddy IS NOT a business model.
    ‘Arsene was very cautious and David was very ambitious for the club,’ said former director Keith Edelman, managing director at the time. ‘He was very good at getting Arsene into a position where he was comfortable spending money.’

The board have said if wenger identifies a player he really wants and he needs the money it's there. Wenger doesn't think it's worth it!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by budesonide View Post
    Selective reading mate. Read points 3 and 4 again ( and pay attention to the 100 BILLION comment).

tah
    It's not selective reading, just responding to the bits that make sense. At this point I feel you've chosen to believe what you've wanted to believe even though the center of your argument has shifted from we could (be less idealistic in terms of our spending model), to we should given the available evidence. So, i'm just going to end it here.

On a separate note, is any one person actually worth £100billion? Didn't that mexican come close
    Last edited by AKBapologist; 15-06-2011 at 04:28 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Given that a footie club isn't a for-profit corporation, and fans aren't customers, that's mighty convenient.
    Last edited by AKBapologist; 15-06-2011 at 04:32 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AKBapologist View Post
    It's not selective reading, just responding to the bits that make sense. At this point I feel you've chosen to believe what you've wanted to believe even though the center of your argument has shifted from we could (be less idealistic in terms of our spending model), to we should given the available evidence. So, i'm just going to end it here.

On a separate note, is any one person actually worth £100billion? Didn't that mexican come close
    My argument hasn't shifted. IF WENGER WANTED TO SPEND 30MILLION ON A TOPCLASS PLAYER HE CAN. HE CHOOSES NOT TO! He rather spends it on multiple teenagers and nobodies because he thinks it is LESS RISKY (and fits his idea of a self-sustainable model).
    ‘Arsene was very cautious and David was very ambitious for the club,’ said former director Keith Edelman, managing director at the time. ‘He was very good at getting Arsene into a position where he was comfortable spending money.’

The board have said if wenger identifies a player he really wants and he needs the money it's there. Wenger doesn't think it's worth it!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My argument hasn't shifted. IF WENGER WANTED TO SPEND 30MILLION ON A TOPCLASS PLAYER HE CAN. HE CHOOSES NOT TO! He rather spends it on multiple teenagers and nobodies because he thinks it is LESS RISKY (and fits his idea of a self-sustainable model).
    And now this sustainable business model is all wengers idea, I bet he even strong armed the club into building this stadium to fit his ego.

Nope, sorry, this model isn't a choice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And now this sustainable business model is all wengers idea, I bet he even strong armed the club into building this stadium to fit his ego.

Nope, sorry, this model isn't a choice.
    Oh dear!

1). Read the quote in my sig again. WENGER HAS TO BE FORCED TO SPEND! And read PNG's post and my response earlier to Gazidis' comments.

2). No, the self-sustainable model IS NOT his idea! BUt if he wanted to spend 30million on a player, HE CAN.

But he does not think it is worth it. Which why he says "I KNOW WHAT I AM DOING" and "I WILL DO IT MY WAY".

3). Wenger is free to strenghten the squad to HIS VALUATION AND HIS VALUATION ALONE!

And no, he hasn't got a 100million budget each season to splash -- which is irrelevant and not necessary anyway (THAT IS THE POINT OF THIS THREAD).

I have tried to debate you separately on both the sugar-daddy issue and wenger's overly cautious approach at the same time. I still can't get through to you!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tell that to the tart at number 48.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh dear!

1). Read the quote in my sig again. WENGER HAS TO BE FORCED TO SPEND! And read PNG's post and my response earlier to Gazidis' comments.

2). No, the self-sustainable model IS NOT his idea! BUt if he wanted to spend 30million on a player, HE CAN.

But he does not think it is worth it. Which why he says "I KNOW WHAT I AM DOING" and "I WILL DO IT MY WAY".

3). Wenger is free to strenghten the squad to HIS VALUATION AND HIS VALUATION ALONE!

And no, he hasn't got a 100million budget each season to splash -- which is irrelevant and not necessary anyway (THAT IS THE POINT OF THIS THREAD).

I have tried to debate you separately on both the sugar-daddy issue and wenger's overly cautious approach at the same time. I still can't get through to you!
    1) I have signatures blocked, and that quote is totally irrelevant hyperbole and has been contradicted by dozens of other quotes from AW, Gladis, PHW and others so excuse me if I ignore it OK?

2) He could make one off, 30mill signing, or spend evenly between a number of players, he has had seasons like 07/08 where he purchased Lassana Diarra, Ramsey and Nasri, for at the time, pretty much the going rate, but getting the same quality of payers for similar price since then has been immensely difficult. What's more, those transfers where heavily subsided that season, and in subsequent seasons, by PLAYER SALES.

3) Infact the money we currently have, the surplus we're about to spend - is only there because of *Wengers*. Buying low, selling high, youth policy etc. Nothings suddenly changed, we're not loosening the purse strings, or going into more debt - we can't because we're not rich, and you've shown me NO EVIDENCE WHAT SO EVER to suggest otherwise. So buddy, you can repeat the same tired, tired quote over and over, but until you want to show prove that we can spend more than we earn, everything you've been saying is MUD.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Power_n_Glory View Post

It doesn't matter how many quotes you find, some people would rather believe he's a victim of circumstance and in a powerless position.

We've had quotes from Wenger saying that we have money but he chooses to nurture young talent. Quotes from various board members saying we have money to spend. Quotes from Wenger about sitting in on contract negotiations when needed, heck, a few months back I heard something on the Tuesday Club about Wenger saying he sits in on the catering budget meetings! Which other manager does that?

But given all this, you'll still find some that believe he's just a puppet. He's one of the longest standing managers in Prem League history, has changed the culture of Arsenal, convinced the club to make huge changes such as building the youth development academy to the move to the Emirates, yet some believe he's some sort of pawn. I don't believe that for a second.

Look back on his quotes during his early days as a manager and you'll see he's doing what he's always wanted to do. He's trying to build an Ajax. That's great for us and great for him, but we need someone at Board level that knows just as much about football as he does. American guys that know about Sports management won't help because they'll depend on him for guidance just like how the Board do now. They can't get rid of Wenger because he's their walking stick. Dein was a football man and Mr Arsenal which is why he could put Wenger in check. Wenger respected his footballing opinion and we need someone else like that.
    Worth repeating this post. No point in going on with this debate because key points are purposely being ignored to suit certain positions. You can't have a debate like that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    14.5mill on transfers in, 7.7mill in transfers out, 6.8mill net - we probably lowered our wage bill with the number of players we released. http://www.transferleague.co.uk/prem...transfers.html
    weren't you saying that the figures we spend is inclusive of wages? that figure of 14.5 is then not valid. there have been new improved contracts signed, which would either balance out that decrease or increase the total amount.

every season a certain amount of players leave, trimming at the edges, just as will happen this summer.
    Last edited by Kano; 15-06-2011 at 06:15 PM.