Page 273 of 322 FirstFirst ... 173223263271272273274275283 ... LastLast
Results 2,721 to 2,730 of 3213

Thread: Summer transfer joy and happiness

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 21_GOONER_SALUTE View Post

Hell at this rate I'd settle with getting rid of Mustafi and Xhaka as 80% of our statement of intent.
    This - I'm really excited about Pepe but you're only as strong as your weakest link and until we get rid of these two self-destructive players we aren't serious contenders IMO

Mustafi in particularis just an embarrassment

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, I think we are all getting far to carried away by the price tag or something else.

I can't see how this signing is bigger or even compares to previous statement of intent moves/signings for the likes Julio Baptista, Rosciky, Arshavin, Ozil or Sanchez. In fact I'd say the Lacazette and Auba signings are still far more notable and laudable than this.

Though, one thing about all the AW marquee signings mentioned were that he was always kind of pressured into making them ; especially the latter 2 . Thus his signings were more of a direct response to positions that the fans wanted him to fill with real world class talents.

As good as this deal is ( and I do think it is a good properly structured deal), I can't see how this changes much or addresses the real deficits fans have spotted in this team. I can't even see this as a statement of intent nor do I think our "rivals" would be envious or having sleepless nights over this. The only thing this transfer seems to say unequivocally, is "Arsenal aren't broke" and most informed people knew that already.

Anyway I am happy to have Pepe onboard and do think he will be a beneficial signing in the long-run. I'd put this signing on the scale of a Nasri or even Theo signing (in summary, opportunistic). I would have been far more pleased with 2 proven CBs and a marquee DM/CM.

Hell at this rate I'd settle with getting rid of Mustafi and Xhaka as 80% of our statement of intent.
    I wanted to take this seriously but then you compared the signing to a loanee who was dumped by this club one season after signing (Baptista), a 16-year-old kid who had played a handful of first team games (Theo) and a raw, talented 21-year-old (Nasri) who still hadn’t found his feet in his native league.

Although, Rosicky and Arshavin are actually good shouts, I’ll give you that. What makes this different from the likes of Ozil, Auba and Alexis is they were being pushed out by their clubs at the time. They were what you’d call opportunistic transfers as there was little or no planning involved. Lacazette? Maybe. Either way, we rarely pick up one of the brightest talents around and prize them away from their clubs with competition in better positions than us involved. It’s a rarity which marks this out as quite unique for the club to get over the line. Especially with all the doom and gloom and becoming a Europa team in recent years. And especially given the general incompetency when it comes to buying and selling in recent years.

Does it change our need for a CB or more proven CM? No, but there’s also no reason to not be excited by this signing. But with Bellerin and Holding back in September, with a possible new LB and a new shape then maybe pinning all our hopes onto a magical CB to save the day maybe isn’t necessary to improve a little. Although in terms of pure numbers we should buy another one if Kos/Mustafi is leaving.

Are we still ‘broke’? Well, given the work done by two experts into our accounts then it’s hard to see how the financial situation has changed. Kroenke certainly hasn’t reached into his pocket to sort it out. Judging by what we’ve spent so far and how this deal is structured then we probably haven’t spent much at all this summer - so far probably less than the ‘magic number’ being banded around.
    Last edited by SMatthews; 02-08-2019 at 07:44 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, I think we are all getting far to carried away by the price tag.
    Do you just want to make the world dance?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cracking signing. Won’t solve anything at the back of course, but let’s hope for some incomings there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SMatthews View Post
    I wanted to take this seriously but then you compared the signing to a loanee who was dumped by this club one season after signing (Baptista), a 16-year-old kid who had played a handful of first team games (Theo) and a raw, talented 21-year-old (Nasri) who still hadn’t found his feet in his native league.

Although, Rosicky and Arshavin are actually good shouts, I’ll give you that. What makes this different from the likes of Ozil, Auba and Alexis is they were being pushed out by their clubs at the time. They were what you’d call opportunistic transfers as there was little or no planning involved. Lacazette? Maybe. Either way, we rarely pick up one of the brightest talents around and prize them away from their clubs with competition in better positions than us involved. It’s a rarity which marks this out as quite unique for the club to get over the line. Especially with all the doom and gloom and becoming a Europa team in recent years. And especially given the general incompetency when it comes to buying and selling in recent years.

Does it change our need for a CB or more proven CM? No, but there’s also no reason to not be excited by this signing. But with Bellerin and Holding back in September, with a possible new LB and a new shape then maybe pinning all our hopes onto a magical CB to save the day maybe isn’t necessary to improve a little. Although in terms of pure numbers we should buy another one if Kos/Mustafi is leaving.

Are we still ‘broke’? Well, given the work done by two experts into our accounts then it’s hard to see how the financial situation has changed. Kroenke certainly hasn’t reached into his pocket to sort it out. Judging by what we’ve spent so far and how this deal is structured then we probably haven’t spent much at all this summer - so far probably less than the ‘magic number’ being banded around.
    We were absolutely crying out for a top class winger last season. Everyone knows the defence needs sorting, but that doesn't take away from the Pepe signing.

Selling optimism to fools KSE Comedy Club's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We will get Tierney and a CB by the end of the window.

Raul is on the case

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We plugged a major hole in the squad (one that had been there some considerable time) with one of the best players in the position available.

We absolutely should be looking at a competent CB, but frankly, after the way we finished the season I was expecting there to be a couple if not a few major holes left.

In an ideal world, Ceballos will mean not having to play Granit Hospital pass Xhaka and ridding ourselves of one of the regular liabilities in a key area. Mustafi is obviously a problem but there is a vague hope that he won't have to play the majority of games.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 3 musketeers here we come...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bielik has gone to Derby £10m

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blink 1nce Quince 2wice View Post
    We plugged a major hole in the squad (one that had been there some considerable time) with one of the best players in the position available.

We absolutely should be looking at a competent CB, but frankly, after the way we finished the season I was expecting there to be a couple if not a few major holes left.

In an ideal world, Ceballos will mean not having to play Granit Hospital pass Xhaka and ridding ourselves of one of the regular liabilities in a key area. Mustafi is obviously a problem but there is a vague hope that he won't have to play the majority of games.
    I think Xhaka will still play unfortunately. Either alongside Ceballos in the home games with Ozil in front. Or with Torreira away from home and Ceballos ahead in the no. 10 position.

Positive noises about Mustafi being pushed out though.