User Tag List

Page 29 of 322 FirstFirst ... 1927282930313979129 ... LastLast

Thread: Summer transfer joy and happiness

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it's unlikely that we'll ever see another era like Liverpool in the 70's/80's and United in the 90's/00's. The title is most likely to be hot potato'd between City, United and Chelsea. The rest may get a sniff every other year but that's about it.

There hasn't even been a title race to speak of since 2014, all the winners since then have led from the start and never looked back.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mac76 View Post
    i agree with all those things except possibly the youth setup - from what i can see it produces good players like Willock (the one we sold to Celtic not his brother) AMN, Eddie Nketiah, Riess Nelson etc, so it's not doing too bad a job IMO

i also think there's the makings of a decent goalie in Macey

but a genuine question, what do you think are the improvements needed to it?
    Regarding the youth setup, to be honest we haven't really brought through many outstanding players who could play in the first team and develop over the last 10 years, the players you mention are decent but that's about it AMN has potential but at the moment that's nothing more.

Can't remember the last time we brought through a player who remained a mainstay in the team for years afterwards (I mean players we brought through not players we grabbed from other clubs at 16-17 as we do). When he arrived Wenger has a 10 year plan to overhaul the youth setup (not sure why as we'd brought through a lot of top quality in Adams, Parlour, Merson, Andy Cole etc), that's been an utter failure as we've barely brought anyone through and those we have have been vastly overhyped and have never really made the grade.

If you're asking what improvements with the team, there are loads, we need better training/coaching so that players know what they are suppose to be doing on the pitch, we need some proper tactics, a more flexible approach to games/opposition, work on set pieces, more discipline and punishment for poor discipline there's a lot of work to be done.

Player wise we need a new keeper, a CB or two (preferably in mids 20s so we can build a team with them), a top quality DM, a right back, I'd overhaul the centre of midfield as well to be honest, Wilshere is not up to it and gone and Ramsey may well do the same, I'd also consider a genuine winger a young one we can bring along slowly.

Personally would play Laca and Aubameyang together as well, we've got a decent set of players going forward but not enough options on the bench IMO, which where perhaps a winger who could score goals would be handy, we really need competition for places so that noone gets too comfortable.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post
    I'm not even sure it's possible to be a dominant force any more. There are too many sides who have too much money for any one of them to be dominant for any period of time IMO.
    It's not even about being dominant, it's about trying to be in the mix every season, you won't win them all but would be nice to compete, to be able to go into the CL and think we have a chance of winning this would be good too.

I actually think we've really been left behind badly in the last 10 years, we could have built on what we already had and have been a real force by now, at one point we were amongst the best sides, instead we just make up the numbers, it's a big change.

Asian Clique Head Bhaiya The Emirates Gallactico's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Overmars View Post
    I think it's unlikely that we'll ever see another era like Liverpool in the 70's/80's and United in the 90's/00's. The title is most likely to be hot potato'd between City, United and Chelsea. The rest may get a sniff every other year but that's about it.

There hasn't even been a title race to speak of since 2014, all the winners since then have led from the start and never looked back.
    I actually think Chelsea are going to fall into the same camp as us, Liverpool and Spurs. Based on their recent signings it seems Roman has had enough of throwing away his money at stupid causes.

The only difference between them and us as it stands is the manager and having a more ruthless board.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Özim View Post
    It's not even about being dominant, it's about trying to be in the mix every season, you won't win them all but would be nice to compete, to be able to go into the CL and think we have a chance of winning this would be good too.

That's exactly what I meant.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    According to Sport, #Arsenal have made a €50m offer for Nabil Fekir. https://t.co/GPmIvnEbFp

SAS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post
    I think we would be more competitive but not because Wenger isn't interested in the football side of things and a new manager would be. Wenger just isn't up to it when it comes to the biggest competitions.
    But whoever our manager is the club will be a business first, such is the reality of the modern game. Changing manager isn't going to fix that.
    Wenger is mismanaging pretty much every aspect of his job, he doesn't setup the team properly, doesn't train them properly, doesn't develop our players, was / is lousy in the transfer market...or at least not able to utilise any of his recent signings properly.

He's a relic, he's not able to pragmatically manage this team and has let our standards slip to a very low level.

Any half decent ambitious manager with a plan would be an upgrade on Wenger IMO.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vieira View Post
    According to Sport, #Arsenal have made a €50m offer for Nabil Fekir. https://t.co/GPmIvnEbFp

SAS
    Should have signed him 3 years ago.
    Für eure Sicherheit

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vieira View Post

That's exactly what I meant.
    Well say that then
    I have no argument with Zim's post, it's realistic to think that a club with our resources should be competing for the biggest prizes.
    It's not realistic to think we will be dominant.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by selassie View Post
    Wenger is mismanaging pretty much every aspect of his job, he doesn't setup the team properly, doesn't train them properly, doesn't develop our players, was / is lousy in the transfer market...or at least not able to utilise any of his recent signings properly.

He's a relic, he's not able to pragmatically manage this team and has let our standards slip to a very low level.

Any half decent ambitious manager with a plan would be an upgrade on Wenger IMO.
    Even one without a plan would have enough of a brain to spot the problems in the defence and midfield and try to do something about it. The basics, anyone but Wenger can do that much. The next manager doesn't have to be here long term, he just needs to plug the holes and set the ship back towards land instead of steaming in circles hunting for la-la land.
    Für eure Sicherheit