User Tag List

View Poll Results: Would you swap third or fourth in the league for a domestic cup double?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

13 52.00%
  • No.

12 48.00%
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 3rd/4th vs A domestic cup double

Administrator McNamara That Ghost...'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Furthering to Syn's post - what I don't like is this idea that being content with finishing third or fourth isn't what 'football is about' but winning trophies is. Sure for players or managers as it would be as it is a personal accolade but really, doesn't only being happy from winning trophies as a supporter just remove the enjoyment of supporting your club and watching the sport as much as settling for a supposed 'mediocre position'? Isn't it just as cynical in the end?

If trophies are all that matter then there are a minimum of 80 depressed sets of football supporters every season in this country and personally, I can't say I remember supporting Arsenal because I wanted trophies.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I read an analogy earlier which I thought was fitting. "Give a man a fish and he can feed himself for one day but give him a fishing rod and he can feed himself for life"

Resident Liverpool Fan Shaqiri Is Boss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it's the springboard to some good future seasons then I'd be more than happy to sacrifice what has been an awful league season. Frankly I wouldn't mind it if we failed and the players had shown some pride, if not for us but for themselves - which they don't seem to be doing. If it does lead on to something then the league form will be forgotten and the cup win(s) will last forever, but if it doesn't then it would feel rather pyrrhic.

I do think though that the lows of the league have been bigger than the highs of the cups. If that makes sense.

It's always nice to win a trophy, especially after 6 years of not doing so, and on paper I'd rather win something than not. But the performances in the league have been largely terrible and overshadowed it, so I'd probably take your season over ours.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Overmars View Post
    After reading RAWK tonight there seems to be some debate about the relative merits of our season versus the one Liverpool are having. With some fans even saying they do not care where Liverpool finish, be it 5th or 15th as long as they win another cup.

This is based on them winning the FA Cup, but would you swap 3rd/4th for a domestic cup double?
    on the face of it, i would answer yes. however if it meant finishing somewhere between 7th and 10th with no obvious signs of improvement the following season in the league, then i would rather take fourth. the opportunities to win knockout domestic cups will always be there but it can be a much longer road back to the top of the table.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It depends on whats going to happen next season. Is AW going to change things around or continue with his awful WUMming of the last 6 seasons? If things are going to be changed with players bought in early, RVP extends his contract etc, then I prefer our season. If its going to AW coming with 'waiting period' n similar bollocks, I'd prefer Liverpool's season. Past 6 seasons tells me that AW is not going to do a thing of note to make us CL and/or PL contenders, so I voted for the cups.

Selling optimism to fools KSE Comedy Club's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cups and a top 4 finish.

About time we started aiming higher instead of the usual 'this or that' shite.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I read an analogy earlier which I thought was fitting. "Give a man a fish and he can feed himself for one day but give him a fishing rod and he can feed himself for life"
    "send £2 a month, and you can change this man and his family's lives for the better"

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    for 1 season, yes.

just so we bloody win something.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Give a man a fish, and he'll feed his family for a day. Give him a fishing rod, and he'll fuck off for the whole weekend.

Or

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach his wife to fish and he can spend several hours on the sofa watching Sky Sports.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Coney View Post
    Give a man a fish, and he'll feed his family for a day. Give him a fishing rod, and he'll fuck off for the whole weekend.

Or

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach his wife to fish and he can spend several hours on the sofa watching Sky Sports.
    Coney