User Tag List

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Has Wenger conceded the league - again?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i would have loved a striker and personally think we need one, but so do chelsea yet they couldn't sign on. even monaco with all their money only got berbatov on the last day (don't think he would suit our team at all so never wanted him myself) i don't understand why we didn't try for klose on loan.

I get why he didn't spend 37 million on Draxler but then today reports came out saying Draxler wanted to go and the offer was there but Shalke stopped the deal so perhaps he was willing to spend it after all. 37 million while a huge statement, on a talented but unproven youngster for me is far too much and sums up what is wrong with modern football, but Draxler is also currently injured so wouldn't have been much use for a few games anyway.

Has he conceded the league? Not at all and i don't think you could argue it in the slightest. we know how proud and protective he is of his players and we also know how much he believes in them. He's backing this squad to do it and we should too. The last goal we conceded at home was against everton, the first match of december. Thats not bad. City might be scoring billions of goals at home, but we just aren't conceding them. Best attack v best defence. In 2013 we won the most points, so far in 2014, we have only drawn once and won the other games. We are keeping pace, largely spent most of the season setting the pace. there is huge improvement this year from the team, last year we didn't think we would even get top four yet its now february and we are fighting for the league. This time last year weren't we about 18 points worse off then we are now? We might not be scoring billions of goals like city are but we are winning, comfortably and professionally. Its clinical, not exciting to watch but i don't care. All this team can do is win, and they keep doing that. Arsene believes in these players and you can see it, they want this title, he does too. Not signing anyone might be in hindsight a bad decision, I'm not 100% there were any world class strikers around we could sign either. If we keep doing what we've done all season, we'll win the league. Lets not ask questions has AW thrown the title away when we are currently 2 points clear, save that for may. Every time a player gets injured, another one steps up to the plate. Gnarby for Theo, Ox today for Jack etc. Everyone keeps writing this squad offf and saying its city or chelsea's title yet we keep bouncing back.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ollie the Optimist View Post
    i would have loved a striker and personally think we need one, but so do chelsea yet they couldn't sign on. even monaco with all their money only got berbatov on the last day (don't think he would suit our team at all so never wanted him myself) i don't understand why we didn't try for klose on loan.

I get why he didn't spend 37 million on Draxler but then today reports came out saying Draxler wanted to go and the offer was there but Shalke stopped the deal so perhaps he was willing to spend it after all. 37 million while a huge statement, on a talented but unproven youngster for me is far too much and sums up what is wrong with modern football, but Draxler is also currently injured so wouldn't have been much use for a few games anyway.

Has he conceded the league? Not at all and i don't think you could argue it in the slightest. we know how proud and protective he is of his players and we also know how much he believes in them. He's backing this squad to do it and we should too. The last goal we conceded at home was against everton, the first match of december. Thats not bad. City might be scoring billions of goals at home, but we just aren't conceding them. Best attack v best defence. In 2013 we won the most points, so far in 2014, we have only drawn once and won the other games. We are keeping pace, largely spent most of the season setting the pace. there is huge improvement this year from the team, last year we didn't think we would even get top four yet its now february and we are fighting for the league. This time last year weren't we about 18 points worse off then we are now? We might not be scoring billions of goals like city are but we are winning, comfortably and professionally. Its clinical, not exciting to watch but i don't care. All this team can do is win, and they keep doing that. Arsene believes in these players and you can see it, they want this title, he does too. Not signing anyone might be in hindsight a bad decision, I'm not 100% there were any world class strikers around we could sign either. If we keep doing what we've done all season, we'll win the league. Lets not ask questions has AW thrown the title away when we are currently 2 points clear, save that for may. Every time a player gets injured, another one steps up to the plate. Gnarby for Theo, Ox today for Jack etc. Everyone keeps writing this squad offf and saying its city or chelsea's title yet we keep bouncing back.
    Eloquent and convincing post...but given our self evident fitness and depth issues - it is very very difficult to see this transfer window as anything other than a cock up. Anything's possible re the league, but anyone who would back us is living more in hope than expectation.
    Putting the laughter back into manslaughter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, it's conceded in reality although we'll talk the talk until the maths go against us. According to the media (add salt to taste) summer 2014 is when we make our first real push because that's when the new money starts to become available. I think, like us, Wenger is probably surprised how well we have done this season. It has generated expectations where none existed. From the ridiculous to the 2% away from sublime.

Not signing a striker in the summer and then failing to sign one in January is the signal we won't be making a serious tilt this season. Although we could get lucky of course, Giroud may not get injured (but watching him play recently suggests he'll at least drop dead from fatigue) and the gypos may collapse, but they have stumbled upon a stable manager through trial and error and coupled with their mega million quid player in every position (three times over) policy they are unlikely to falter.

Don't know about the rest of you but my hopes lay on staying tough and in contention until January so we could call in the reinforcements. Not necessarily big name/ big fee players but somebody that could allow Giroud a couple of weeks off. Now we are asking him to go to May in three comps with no respite, unless we consider Bendtner an option (but surely not). If he manages it, amazing. 99% chance he won't.
    Für eure Sicherheit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Niall_Quinn View Post
    Yeah, it's conceded in reality although we'll talk the talk until the maths go against us. According to the media (add salt to taste) summer 2014 is when we make our first real push because that's when the new money starts to become available. I think, like us, Wenger is probably surprised how well we have done this season. It has generated expectations where none existed. From the ridiculous to the 2% away from sublime.

Not signing a striker in the summer and then failing to sign one in January is the signal we won't be making a serious tilt this season. Although we could get lucky of course, Giroud may not get injured (but watching him play recently suggests he'll at least drop dead from fatigue) and the gypos may collapse, but they have stumbled upon a stable manager through trial and error and coupled with their mega million quid player in every position (three times over) policy they are unlikely to falter.

Don't know about the rest of you but my hopes lay on staying tough and in contention until January so we could call in the reinforcements. Not necessarily big name/ big fee players but somebody that could allow Giroud a couple of weeks off. Now we are asking him to go to May in three comps with no respite, unless we consider Bendtner an option (but surely not). If he manages it, amazing. 99% chance he won't.
    A convincing point...until you consider Ozil. Did Wenger really buy him to make sure we finished top 4?

Selling optimism to fools KSE Comedy Club's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IBK View Post
    A convincing point...until you consider Ozil. Did Wenger really buy him to make sure we finished top 4?
    Or to get the fans off his back for a while and stop them baying for blood after another shite transfer window?

Administrator McNamara That Ghost...'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I doubt it. It'd only take bad results for that enmity to return. If it was merely about appeasing us then I'd expect something like the five player deadline day rush in 2011.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IBK View Post
    No, guessing I'd say they pushed the boat out in advance for a player they really wanted and was unlikely to be on the market again at least under similar circumstances. Plus it appeased the fans as a bonus. Ozil is hopefully step 1 of the project. It doesn't make much sense if his signing is a one-off.
    Für eure Sicherheit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The thing about this season is that it probably won't repeat itself. There is no size of increased earnings we can get from improved deals that will match the unlimited funds of City and Chelsea. Kronke won't let the Uzbek on board and won't put a penny of his own money in. Waiting on FFP to level the playing field is like waiting on the lottery to bail you out of insolvency. With the powers that be running football now, and elections on the horizon at FIFA and later UEFA. I wouldn't wait for any sea change. We could have won the league this year but again Wenger doesn't have the courage of his own convictions. Moving belatedly for his targets with e week to go.

It's apparently obvious that Ozil was an appeasement to the revolting masses. Problem is Wenger never learns. He only sees his own time line, forgetting that outstanding players only see in 3 year cycles, at most. If we don't win anything by 2016, I will bet my bottom dollar that Ozil will leave just as all the crown jewel princes, Henry, Fabregas, RVP, have left before him

Wenger is a satisfied man, He believes he has done enough to secure his legacy and if it ever questioned, he can fall back on the convenient excuse that all who beat him had way more resources than him. He is also paid like a winner so that rubs his ego too. He hates losing, but really he doesn't desire winning that much enough. All of the managers of his age group have won the CL and retired. Arsene too has retired but our club is his idea of a retirement home. I actually am no longer mad at him, the only sentiment t I have left is sympathy, for a man who stood steadfastly in his own way

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Globalgunner View Post
    The thing about this season is that it probably won't repeat itself. There is no size of increased earnings we can get from improved deals that will match the unlimited funds of City and Chelsea. Kronke won't let the Uzbek on board and won't put a penny of his own money in. Waiting on FFP to level the playing field is like waiting on the lottery to bail you out of insolvency. With the powers that be running football now, and elections on the horizon at FIFA and later UEFA. I wouldn't wait for any sea change. We could have won the league this year but again Wenger doesn't have the courage of his own convictions. Moving belatedly for his targets with e week to go.

It's apparently obvious that Ozil was an appeasement to the revolting masses. Problem is Wenger never learns. He only sees his own time line, forgetting that outstanding players only see in 3 year cycles, at most. If we don't win anything by 2016, I will bet my bottom dollar that Ozil will leave just as all the crown jewel princes, Henry, Fabregas, RVP, have left before him

Wenger is a satisfied man, He believes he has done enough to secure his legacy and if it ever questioned, he can fall back on the convenient excuse that all who beat him had way more resources than him. He is also paid like a winner so that rubs his ego too. He hates losing, but really he doesn't desire winning that much enough. All of the managers of his age group have won the CL and retired. Arsene too has retired but our club is his idea of a retirement home. I actually am no longer mad at him, the only sentiment t I have left is sympathy, for a man who stood steadfastly in his own way
    I definitely think his mindset has changed. IMO Wenger honestly believes that 3rd or 4th in the league makes him a winner.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hope that behind the scenes, this team has instilled belief that it can win the league. As fans, we're allowed to be pessimists. However, if our last home performance was anything to go by, it seriously makes me wonder about the mindset of these players and what they are being instructed to do.

There has been a marked improvement from last season. We're winning the games we're meant to win and keeping an impressive unbeaten home record since the opening day of the season.

I often wonder whether we've shot ourselves in the foot with regard to signing new players in January. On the other hand, I think we can freshen things up with the players we currently have at our disposal. Why not play Podolski as a lone striker up front? A forward who, I believe, had à more predatory and instinctive presence cf Giroud. If it is to be believed that Giroud needs only resting, then the next couple of games, important as they are, are the perfect opportunity. Midfield has been a problem getting steady, but we bemoaned one too many midfielders at the beginning of the season. Maybe I'm looking at this too simply but in spite of injuries to Ramsey and Walcott, should we not be able to rotate an effective, title-winning midfield using Ozil, Arteta, Flamini, Rosicky, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Wilshere and Cazorla?

We have a big game against Liverpool tomorrow (a team that, while being six points behind us in the title race, now have shorter odds to win the trophy). While it isn't a league game, all performances count. This time last season, Wenger almost "threw" a game v Blackburn, knocking us out and having an inevitable detrimental effecit for the rest of the season. Win tomorrow, and it stands us in good stead for Bayern Munich and a couple of more straightforward league matches iin the next few weeks.
    Formerly TMOKJ