User Tag List

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: So what do we do to improve our prospects of mounting a challenge for the league and other competitions.

Selling optimism to fools KSE Comedy Club's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AKBapologist View Post
    Would I say no no Guardiola? Of course not, but I doubt even he would be garenteed to win anything with this squad (which I think is poorer than most want to accept) and in this league.

But no, I'm satisfied with a manager that by all credible estimates, OUTPERFORMED given the starting conditions and the competition we had for this place this league. I'm satisfied with coming a place higher than last season, finishing the season with more points, with the development of many players and with the general atmosphere of the club.

At this point, it just seems like the same old babies whining about the same old shit even though the context has completely changed.
    Although you could add that the starting point was a position which was created by wenger for not strengthening the team a lot earlier in the summer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good thread and reasoning, GB

-
    management
    Personally, I don't think I have too much of a problem with this. AW fecked up in last Summer's transfer window, and was punished for it. It was the start of the season that killed us, not the end. Our team shape has looked flakey recently because of key injuries, not because we've been playing any different. Its easy to forget that we were all commenting mid-season on how nice it was to see players wanting to play for each other again, and Wenger turned things around in this respect this season. We might have been well off the pace, but 3rd is no mean achievement - and I don't think another manager could have retrieved things like Wenger did.

-tactics
    We need to play the opposition more, IMO. Otherwise again, I think we are over critical of our team.

Players/approach to investment
    The club is at acrossroads. We need 15% less caution in investing in proven players that we need. Arteta/Mertesaker is going inthe right direction, but we need at least one other player of the stature of Podolski to come in in DM - and we need to break the bank to keep RVP, if he will stay.

-
    competition prioritisation
    This is a difficult one. I don't think we threw the cups this year as we have done in previous years. You have to rotate these days. Our issue IMO is not wrong prioritisation, its carrying too many players who are just not good enough - see above.

-salary structure-
    IMHO the biggest problem at our club is that we take too many 'punts' on players who aren't proven. And reward them to a degree that makes it difficult to move them on when they fail to shine. I think our salary structure needs to be looked at. We need to pay our best players what they are worth, and cut down on our £50/60M dross to fund it.

star player retention
    As Flavs says, ain't a great deal we can do about this. With RVP, for example, provided that we offer him £150K pw, the club will have done everything it can realistically do to to keep him - automatic CL qualification plus genuinely offering as much as it can afford. He may well choose to go to a club with bigger resources than our, and short of going cap in hand to Usmanov, there is simply nothing we can do about this. Our club has been around for 126 years. If we think of it in these terms, depending on an oligarch/petro dollars is not IMO the way to roll.
    Last edited by IBK; 15-05-2012 at 09:27 AM.
    Putting the laughter back into manslaughter

Selling optimism to fools KSE Comedy Club's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Flavs View Post
    Fail
    So's your face.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Would I say no no Guardiola? Of course not, but I doubt even he would be garenteed to win anything with this squad (which I think is poorer than most want to accept) and in this league.

But no, I'm satisfied with a manager that by all credible estimates, OUTPERFORMED given the starting conditions and the competition we had for this place this league. I'm satisfied with coming a place higher than last season, finishing the season with more points, with the development of many players and with the general atmosphere of the club.

At this point, it just seems like the same old babies whining about the same old shit even though the context has completely changed.
    wenger has taken us as far as he can –things will not change but can only get worse under his leadership and i would gain no satisfaction sitting in the stadium watching his legacy completely fall to pieces.

Im proud the team turned things around and happy we finished third – however the same problems will continue and there is only so long you can firefight without ever putting out the flames before the house burns down and wenger is very close to burning completely.

I had faith in wenger until the poor end to the season. Reflecting back there is no excuse for not winning a cc or fa cup in 7 years and we need a man that can deliver that – of course those managers exist and of course that is what we should be aiming for as a minimum.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeebus View Post
    Although you could add that the starting point was a position which was created by wenger for not strengthening the team a lot earlier in the summer.
    Starting point being the rest of the top 6 massivily out spending us, us losing players to richer clubs whilst failing to get transfer targets because the elected to go to richer clubs?

Wenger can be blamed for a lot, but if all the other shit wasn't as heavily stacked against us, we'd be in a much more healthier state.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Starting point being the rest of the top 6 massivily out spending us, us losing players to richer clubs whilst failing to get transfer targets because the elected to go to richer clubs?

Wenger can be blamed for a lot, but if all the other shit wasn't as heavily stacked against us, we'd be in a much more healthier state.
    wenger has had more than enough talent to win a cup competition over the past 7 years - the failings in that regard have nowt to do with anything off the pitch.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually i am going to go on the record here and say that for the first time in a while I DON'T want Wenger sacked. I am more intrigued as to the effect the Bould/Banfield input will have as well as seeing how effective we are ion the transfer market both in and out this summer. I am also intrigued to see which of the kids is allowed to leave and if any make the first team squad next year.

In fact i am quite optimistic about this coming summer so far and am happy to be where we are.

But, should we get to xmas and shit all has changed then i will revert back to my sack Wenger opinion.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry Tuffnutz View Post
    wenger has had more than enough talent to win a cup competition over the past 7 years - the failings in that regard have nowt to do with anything off the pitch.
    Agreed. Things in the transfer market might be out of our control.

Needing to win 1 game at Wembley against an Alex McLeish side wasn't.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Overmars View Post

i would absolutely love for things to change for the better for wenger and we all live happily ever after but it has gone too far now.

he is doing very good as a manager but we can do even better with the groundwork he has laid out for us.

try telling montpellier that it can't be done.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Overmars View Post

Maybe we should get Alex Mcleish as manager because being able to win one game at wembley is the most important thing right? I hear he's available.