User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is it Wenger's ego rather than his ability that has cost us?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're saying he's feeding his ego by developing players and not winning.

Weird.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IBK View Post
    You're living in the past. People change. Wenger has. If you and others think Wenger, with his policies/decisions in the last 8 years has had realistic ambitions to win silverware then you are on something. Personally, I find it difficult to believe that he is a shit manager. IMO he is either arrogant enough to believe that he can win things while at the same time allowing his best players to leave, or he is making the club subservient to his own principles/beliefs. Either way, his ego has hurt us.

There is a reason why he is no longer a winning manager - an obsession with producing players seems as good a theory to me as anything else.

that theory would work, if he hadnt spent the last two seasons buying seasoned professionals instead of youngsters

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ollie the optimist View Post
    that theory would work, if he hadnt spent the last two seasons buying seasoned professionals instead of youngsters
    2 points. First - the 'seasoned professionals' are still inferior to the players he's let go - not like for like by any streach of the imagination. Second, they are good - not outstanding - players from foreign leagues - and therefore IMO still punts for the EPL. Yet they replace tried and tested top players in our league.
    Putting the laughter back into manslaughter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimandi's Perm View Post
    You're saying he's feeding his ego by developing players and not winning.

Weird.
    What I'm saying is that he's feeding his obsession with unearthing world beaters rather than taking decisions more likely to ensure success.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What I'm saying is that he's feeding his obsession with unearthing world beaters rather than taking decisions more likely to ensure success.
    Nah, doesn't really stack up.

You're saying he's not replaced quality with quality, but you think that's to do with some obsession rather than financial constraints placed on him.

Weird.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd quite like to buy IBK a beer.

Several, actually.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimandi's Perm View Post
    Nah, doesn't really stack up.

You're saying he's not replaced quality with quality, but you think that's to do with some obsession rather than financial constraints placed on him.

Weird.
    My reason is that I simply can't understand how a supposed winner would put up with 6 years of players in whom he has invested heart and soul to make into winners would stick around if the sales are his decision.

You can carve it up another way and ask (if he has been forced to sell) why the money hasn't been available. 2 reasons. First - he overpays a glut of mediocre development players that he has brought in. Second - a rigid adherence to a wage parity/over 30's policy which is unique to AW. The common denominator: ego.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by She Wore A Yellow Ribbon View Post

Several, actually.
    Pretty much

Hes won this one pretty comfortably

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by She Wore A Yellow Ribbon View Post

Several, actually.
    Yay.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My reason is that I simply can't understand how a supposed winner would put up with 6 years of players in whom he has invested heart and soul to make into winners would stick around if the sales are his decision.

You can carve it up another way and ask (if he has been forced to sell) why the money hasn't been available. 2 reasons. First - he overpays a glut of mediocre development players that he has brought in. Second - a rigid adherence to a wage parity/over 30's policy which is unique to AW. The common denominator: ego.
    When he retires and someone asks him about the lack of trophies, I think he'll probably point to the players he's developed and take pride in that. If he was desperate for more silverware he'd have walked away from the club. He loves developing players and probably explains why he moved to Japan instead of looking for a top job in Europe when he left France. It's more of a challenge and more rewarding.