User Tag List

Page 3052 of 3209 FirstFirst ... 2052255229523002304230503051305230533054306231023152 ... LastLast
Results 30,511 to 30,520 of 32086

Thread: "Currants Bw..."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yts2F44RqFw

This is a really interesting video and I think explains the difference between Letters' and NQ's ideas on morality, or at least, what NQ means when he talks about Letters being a fake Christian or whatever.

Letters usually argues from the consequentialist position (voting, watching the WC in Qatar, other issues I'm sure) and NQ seems to be in the "evil or not evil" camp.

(skip to 8:40 for the meat of it, but the whole thing's worth a watch)
    You used to be everything to me
    Now you're tired of fighting

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mac76 View Post
    There’s a movement growing to get Ghost Town as Xmas number 1 which would be grimly appropriate

I can’t disassociate that song from the episode of Father Ted

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WMUG View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yts2F44RqFw

This is a really interesting video and I think explains the difference between Letters' and NQ's ideas on morality, or at least, what NQ means when he talks about Letters being a fake Christian or whatever.

Letters usually argues from the consequentialist position (voting, watching the WC in Qatar, other issues I'm sure) and NQ seems to be in the "evil or not evil" camp.

(skip to 8:40 for the meat of it, but the whole thing's worth a watch)
    It’s not

The whole thing is a bit of a straw man argument

Plus liberal/left types are in no position to accuse anyone of thinking in binary terms

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WMUG View Post
    Hmm. It is an interesting video. I'm not sure if I am a consequentialist. But I do think that things are rarely 100% "good" or "bad", there are almost always shades of grey and sometimes something which is supposed to be "bad" from a Christian viewpoint feels like the least bad option. NQ seems to take a far more black and white view of the world and if he thinks a thing is "bad" then any counter argument I present means he thinks I'm saying the thing is "good". That's how it comes across anyway. In reality I'm just pointing out out the shades of grey.

With Qatar, I would certainly agree that the World Cup shouldn't have been there. The way the stadiums were built, the clear corruption that led to it being awarded there in the first place. I hadn't planned to watch as much as I did - not because of any of the above really, just a vague feeling of a winter World Cup all being a bit weird and there being less of a buzz around the country than there usually would be ahead of a World Cup. In the end I did get into it and I enjoyed it. I just couldn't see what difference boycotting would make. The TV and sponsorship deals were in place and not contingent on viewing figures. HCZ made a decent point about how lower viewer figures may give TV and sponsors pause before paying money to show/sponsor future World Cups awarded in such circumstances. I just didn't feel I as an individual could make any difference. Had there been a co-ordinated and widespread effort then maybe I'd have felt different, but there wasn't one far as I could tell. If people wanted to boycott it then fine I guess, it feels like a futile gesture but if they thought it was the right thing to do then OK. I raise an eyebrow at any of them telling me what I or anyone else should do though. I did ask around at church and no-one there seemed to think boycotting was the "Christian" thing to do. I have seen some pretty reasonable arguments online asking if people boycotted the one in Russia 4 years ago. Their human rights record isn't exactly stellar. And are people planning on boycotting in 4 years given the US's numerous interventions overseas. Where's the line?

When it comes to voting my argument is along the same lines as in the video. Someone is going to represent me in my area (well, they're supposed to). So voting is the only way I can influence that. NQ's issue there seems to be that he doesn't believe in government at all. But not believing in something doesn't mean it isn't real. So, again, not voting seems like a futile gesture. It doesn't affect the reality that someone is going to get into power.

NQ seems to object to authority in all forms - I think (although am not sure) it's part of his problem with me, what with me being Admin. But again, it's possible to think that government is bad - or rather our version of it is - and still believe the principle of government is probably the least bad way to get things done in a complex society. In NQ's mind the whole principle is bad - and that leads him to the paranoia we see above where he sees the Covid response as a march into authoritarianism, which is where he believes we are heading. I'm somewhat baffled that the fact that the exact opposite of his predictions happening doesn't give him pause. And he says I'm the one lacking self awareness

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HCZ_Reborn View Post
    There’s a movement growing to get Ghost Town as Xmas number 1 which would be grimly appropriate
    That would be great and wholly appropriate - how does an old CD-buying git like me mane that happen? Buy it somewhere on the interweb?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That link doesn’t seem to work

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HCZ_Reborn View Post
    Of course what you have to ask yourself what was the point of that?

What humorous point are you making, other than the suggestion that a reclusive drink sodden conspiracy theorist might engage in violent fantasies.

To pre-empt any reply, no I don’t find your comment offensive. I just find it pointless
    Two emotional posts.

You are projecting onto me. I don't feel bitter or afraid.

You should deal with your own issues. Seriously. I can't be around as a sounding board on demand. In fact I am rarely here now. So you'll need to find a way to manage your problems without me as your crutch.
    Für eure Sicherheit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also, I don't have a Twatter account and nor will I ever. If I mimic "edge lords" then maybe these people are stating the obvious as I do. But doe that confirm a correlation? Sorry, but your latest stab is founded in coincidence rather than fact or even thought.
    Für eure Sicherheit