Page 308 of 435 FirstFirst ... 208258298306307308309310318358408 ... LastLast
Results 3,071 to 3,080 of 4348

Thread: The Film Thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Coney View Post
    1. "they discover that almost everything they think they knew is wrong". No they don't. Some things they had thought might be the case turn out not to be, but 'almost everything' is not the case. As good scientists, if they find something that contradicts their understanding, they adapt, unlike 'religionists' (sic).

2. "we place an awful lot of trust in scientists, who for the most part deal in theories rather than facts". Scientists form theories based on the known evidence. Then they observe or perform experiments to verify them. If this shows the theory to be incorrect, they think again. If it shows it to be as predicted, the theory is taken as assumed truth unless and until it is disproved by new evidence or logic.

3. "Obviously they are incompetent and even dangerous in some respects". See 1 & 2 above. If you can suggest a better way of understanding the world, I'm sure the whole of the planet would love to hear your wisdom. Scientist respond rationally to what they observe. Unfortunately, the media do not, and since a lot of people (and seemingly you) take their idea of what 'scientist think' and what is accepted science is from the media, there is a general misunderstanding of the subject.

For instance, if someone does an experiment and says their results imply x, the media translate that into 'all scientist think x is true even though yesterday they said it was not', whereas in the science world, the experiment will be analysed, attempts made to repeat it, etc. very often disproving that one scientist. But that does not make for a pretty headline.
    With all undue respect, all of the above is bullshit. Just verbatim shit from the archives of the science worshippers manual.

Now if you go back 100 years, or maybe even 60, I'll agree with you. But today? You're dreaming.

Science = money. There's a scientific fact for you. I know in advance you won't accept that. But whatever.

And the Mars thing. I think when you go from "can't possibly be water" to "look, water" then it's only fair to question their competency.

Practical scientists in a lab working out conductivity - good for them, I'll buy them a drink any day. Stupid theoretical grant chasers gazing at Mars? Yeah, call me a know it all but I know at least as much as them and that doesn't even make me knowledgeable. Guess merchants in it for the cash. Big bang pushers. Where's the difference between that nonsense and the religionists bullshit?

So somebody told you to believe science worked a certain way. And I'm telling you fair enough - it USED to.
    Für eure Sicherheit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you have issues.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Coney View Post
    I think you have issues.
    And I think you are a sponge, so we both have work to do, right?
    Für eure Sicherheit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They should bottle Martian water.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Matt Damon was on his way to the bottle bank...
    NOTE: The location of this post has been moved and the thread title (which was previously Wenger is Leaving) has been manipulated by a notorious pro-Wenger moderator. What was previously a message that contained no profanity and made a comment on a real life event has now been manipulated by a deliberately provocative title. An old and crude propaganda and censorship technique.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hateful 8 was fairly good. Not Tarantino's best. Managed to keep me interested despite being over 3 hours long.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Reynholm View Post
    I don't believe in the moon. I think it's just the back of the sun.
    The dark side of the sun?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Niall_Quinn View Post
    call me a know it all
    I seriously doubt anyone has ever called you that

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thierrymon View Post
    Hateful 8 was fairly good. Not Tarantino's best. Managed to keep me interested despite being over 3 hours long.
    I thought it went on far too long. The only person who liked it out of my family was my dad, the rest of us felt like snoozing by halfway through it. There were some pretty good scenes but I just felt bored. Tarantino can do so much better.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone see the Rack Pack on iPlayer? - I thought it was good fun. Fark snooker used to be big in the '80's!
    Putting the laughter back into manslaughter