User Tag List

Page 3094 of 3209 FirstFirst ... 2094259429943044308430923093309430953096310431443194 ... LastLast
Results 30,931 to 30,940 of 32085

Thread: "Currants Bw..."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WMUG View Post
    So basically this then.

Romford is in the historical county of Essex but the ceremonial county of Greater London, hence "technically".

It's all quite confusing.

Frankly Brentwood Council can oppose the ULEZ all they want, but they have no power to stop it, AFAIK, given that they're not in the GLA. Maybe legal challenges? No idea what, if any, merit they'd have.

There’s a difference between travelling somewhere like Romford where you know you will be caught up in ULEZ and shoving it right up to the borders where it touches towns like Brentwood. And I think there is going to be a lot of territorial dispute over this.
    The point is ULEZ won’t actually change the cars people drive it’s just sticking a london based tax and pressing it further ahead where if you live in a town like Brentwood you can’t avoid getting caught up in it, and on top of council tax paying a de facto Tax to a city we don’t live in. Fuck them.

This is the kind of thing that makes your average Brit hate London

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not really seeing a difference there, other than you live in Brentwood and not Romford, so it'll effect you soon like it currently does Romford residents.

As it stands, the ULEZ boundary is near Romford, so people there have to take it into account if they drive a non compliant vehicle. With the expansion, the boundary will be near Brentwood, meaning you'll have to take it into account if you drive a non compliant vehicle.

Why is that OK for Romford but not for Brentwood?
    You used to be everything to me
    Now you're tired of fighting

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not really seeing a difference there, other than you live in Brentwood and not Romford, so it'll effect you soon like it currently does Romford residents.

As it stands, the ULEZ boundary is near Romford, so people there have to take it into account if they drive a non compliant vehicle. With the expansion, the boundary will be near Brentwood, meaning you'll have to take it into account if you drive a non compliant vehicle.

Why is that OK for Romford but not for Brentwood?
    Romford as you say is part of the GLA, Brentwood is not. Romford gets to vote for the Mayor of London who introduces such laws, Brentwood does not

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah, crap

https://metro.co.uk/2023/05/04/ed-sh...gaye-18725702/

More Ed Sheeran music it is then (he’d “threatened” to retire if he lost)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This cuckoo king is a clever bastard, or he's being advised by imaginative vipers. He's managed to throw in as many divisive fuck-yous as possible. No wonder God is raining on his parade.
    Für eure Sicherheit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HCZ_Reborn View Post
    Romford as you say is part of the GLA, Brentwood is not. Romford gets to vote for the Mayor of London who introduces such laws, Brentwood does not
    That's fair. There is an argument to be made that the GLA should be expanded to include towns like Brentwood, Watford, Borehamwood etc so that they have some influence over the city next door that has such influence over them.

Then again, where does it end? If the GLA expands to include them, it'll just put itself next to other towns which will then be in the same position

In the end, it's the Mayor's job to govern in his own jurisdiction's interests. If France make a policy that pisses off Germany, Germany can complain all they want but ultimately it's up to France to do what's best for them. I'd argue the same applies here.

And we haven't even discussed the merits of the policy itself, which seems pretty good: financially disincentivise people from driving the vehicles that contribute most to the poor health of people living in the city.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mac76 View Post
    Through work I could have applied to go - not to the actual Abbey, but to sit outside in the stands by Buck House and spend the day doffing my hat. No guarantee I'd have got tickets but I did consider entering the ballot.
    Glad I didn't now Although apart from the "I was there" factor, most of it is going to be pretty bloody boring.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's fair. There is an argument to be made that the GLA should be expanded to include towns like Brentwood, Watford, Borehamwood etc so that they have some influence over the city next door that has such influence over them.

Then again, where does it end? If the GLA expands to include them, it'll just put itself next to other towns which will then be in the same position

In the end, it's the Mayor's job to govern in his own jurisdiction's interests. If France make a policy that pisses off Germany, Germany can complain all they want but ultimately it's up to France to do what's best for them. I'd argue the same applies here.

And we haven't even discussed the merits of the policy itself, which seems pretty good: financially disincentivise people from driving the vehicles that contribute most to the poor health of people living in the city.
    You mean financially soak the poor who have no choice? Is there any evidence a well maintained small vehicle harms the health of people living in the city, by comparison to a new SUV or Khan's fleet of 12mpg guzzlers?

In fact is there any evidence air quality in the outer boroughs has contributed to any health problems at all?

But, most importantly, is there any evidence man-made climate change is a real thing? Because that's the excuse for this outrageous authoritarianism and attack on civil liberties. No. Not a single scrap of evidence beyond declarations from financially invested parties and the academics they fund, with their carefully tweaked post 1950 models. And of course this ties in neatly with our new king who is very much at the heart of the next great thing. It's all coming together nicely for the anti-science, authoritarian, let them eat bugs, your papers please cult.

"My car is complaint so I have nothing to worry about." Compliant today, you mean? How long do you think that will last if people bend over and allow this to become the norm? How long before ludicrously unsustainable EVs are the only "option"? And then how long after that before ludicrously unattainable EVs are declared ludicrously unsustainable?

Why do you think the 15 minute city is becoming a thing? Everything within a 15 minute walk or public transport? Are there enough pieces for you to guess what's on the box?
    Für eure Sicherheit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A lot to unpick there and frankly there are other ways I'd rather spend my time.

I will say that you're 100% right that EVs are absolutely not the solution to anything. Air quality? Maybe a slight improvement over the status quo, but that's it.

Congestion? Identical to ICE vehicles. Sedentary lifestyle? Identical. Danger to people walking and cycling? Identical. Danger to other people driving? Identical. Production costs? Arguably worse, what with the lithium mining required.

The real solution to any of these issues is investment in all other kinds of transport. That means greatly increased bus and rail services, cycling infrastructure, a ban on pavement parking, housing development with amenities within walking and cycling distance and plenty of other things. One idea I've heard is GPS-tracked speed limiting, like what currently exists on rented e-scooters. I imagine that would horrify you

Fundamentally what needs to change is the idea that transporting people by car is desirable. It just makes everything worse for everyone involved, and should be a last resort.