User Tag List

Page 3185 of 3209 FirstFirst ... 21852685308531353175318331843185318631873195 ... LastLast
Results 31,841 to 31,850 of 32085

Thread: "Currants Bw..."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Letters

Ps - i must admit when i was young i was pretty worried about nuclear war but that was in the early 80s when Thatcher and Reagan were doing their best to start one - comedy sketch shows like Not the 9 o'clock news were full of nuclear war sketches - it was real

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I should add, my nephew is over 40
    He's just a bit of an idiot, and has anxiety.

When I was a kid I remember it being something I was worried about. I was also worried about war breaking out and me being drafted - thankfully I'm too old for that now!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mac76 View Post

Letters

Ps - i must admit when i was young i was pretty worried about nuclear war but that was in the early 80s when Thatcher and Reagan were doing their best to start one - comedy sketch shows like Not the 9 o'clock news were full of nuclear war sketches - it was real
    Don’t like Thatcher or Reagan but very little evidence either were trying to start a nuclear war. In fact Reagan met with Gorbachev to negotiate a nuclear weapons limitation treaty. At that time people were made paranoid about nuclear war because it was regularly discussed on television, various documentaries from Panorama to World in Action went into forensic detail about how fucked we would be in the event of even a limited nuclear exchange as well as programs like Threads.
    It became an obsession because the era known as Detente had ended with the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan, but in reality we were much further away from that realistically happening than we’d been in 1962.
    That said, ratcheting up the fear wasn’t always bad…it’s long been said that Reagan’s determination to avoid Nuclear war was at least partly inspired by a White House screening of The Day After (argued to be the American answer to Threads, although it’s a film rather than a Docudrama).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The problem is even if we were at a precipice, no one can agree on what the cause is let alone what the solution is.

I think for example Galloway’s victory despite the insistence many have to claim the canary in the coal mine died of natural causes, does suggest we have an issue of monolithic religious voting blocs that exemplify that we have a problem with many people holding views that run contrary to western values. Now to address the whataboutery of what about the far right. Well it might help if people looked at them to a degree as a single issue.

Take Nick Griffin who endorsed Galloway, outside of his rabble rousing against the Muslim community in this country he’s a big fan of hardline Islam…being a supporter of Hamas, Iran, Libya as well as Louis Farrakhan and the Nation of Islam. Why? Because take away the different skin colour - Griffin and Farrakhan have much in common, they believe in separation of the races and they despise Jews and Homosexuals.

Now Griffin is a bit of an outlier and he has had pushback from his old National Front/BNP buddies because they prioritise their view that non whites are inferior. But take away the objectives, and these are two groups that have many shared beliefs.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Trigger warning for those who don't want to talk about trivial subjects.

I cannot get enough of watching stuff about that disastrous Willy Wonka immersive experience
    The more I see and read about it, the funnier it gets.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post
    Trigger warning for those who don't want to talk about trivial subjects.

I cannot get enough of watching stuff about that disastrous Willy Wonka immersive experience
    The more I see and read about it, the funnier it gets.

I haven’t engaged because….Glasgow. Soon as I see that city mentioned I switch off

Strange really, because I love Scotland as a country on the whole. But even the nicest places have scummy areas

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't really care where it happened, it's not that relevant to the story.
    You should have a look, it's all bloody funny

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post
    I don't really care where it happened, it's not that relevant to the story.
    You should have a look, it's all bloody funny
    It was a flippant remark, although I don’t particularly care for Glasgow. The Story doesn’t interest me greatly, even for amusement purposes.

An “experience” event in a civic building turns out to be cheap, amateurish and a bit weird. A council event planner wouldn’t bat an eyelid at that

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a bit more than that. It's just the levels of incompetence, the hilariously poor production values, the disappointed kids, the actors heroically battling on.
    Just an utter shit show from start to finish.
    The picture of the Oompa Loompa lady looking so utterly pissed off in what for all the world looks like a meth lab.
    The shabby scenery, the lonely small bouncy castle in the corner of a warehouse
    It's a hilarious mess

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HCZ_Reborn View Post
    I haven’t engaged because….Glasgow. Soon as I see that city mentioned I switch off

Strange really, because I love Scotland as a country on the whole. But even the nicest places have scummy areas
    I've been to Glasgow, admittedly only the nicer bit but it was fine and i got out alive...

One city i vowed never to go to is Liverpool, basically because it's full of scousers, wlthough i might have to go this year which i am not looking forward to...