User Tag List

Page 363 of 435 FirstFirst ... 263313353361362363364365373413 ... LastLast
Results 3,621 to 3,630 of 4348

Thread: The Film Thread

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
    Quote Originally Posted by Niall Quinn View Post
    Just get her a beard trimmer for Christmas.
    Did Xi like it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post
    Probably did rant to MrsL about the Dr Who thing. Actually I definitely did, she was sitting with me when the announcement was on after Wimbledon.
    I don't think she really cared either way as she's not a fan but I think she could see the point.
    The bigger issue, well bearing in mind we're Christians we have a pretty solid idea of "God made them male and female" and I think we're both for equality while recognising that men and women are different.
    Equal in value, but not the same. It's this last point which is now becoming non-PC, it's becoming frowned about to think that there is any difference between the genders and I guess that's part of what leads to there being 80 different ones or whatever 'cos now you can pick your own. It's utter bullshit and I think MrsL and me are on the same page about that.
    You think you had a conversation and think she gets your point. A rant isn't really a conversation. She's your wife so you should know her better than anyone else.

But for me, the conversations I’ve had helps to add some perspective. It doesn’t necessarily have to be linked with social issues or ‘gender politics’ either. Just in everyday stuff like entertainment something can crop up and you can kinda of start to see how stuff like this plays a role.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With the best will in the world, MrsL isn't much of an academic. I don't think this sort of level of conversation is her kind of thing really.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
    Do you have a wife or long term partner PNG? Have you ever known her to rant on a topic you couldn't possibly give less of a fuck about if you tried but has her very animated, and has your response ever been a non committal "yeah I guess I can see what you're saying".

I've had it before. Maybe Letters can only guess what Mrs Letters feels because the matter was incredibly insignificant to her.

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post
    With the best will in the world, MrsL isn't much of an academic.
    She married you....it kind of goes without saying

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fuck you!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie View Post
    Do you have a wife or long term partner PNG? Have you ever known her to rant on a topic you couldn't possibly give less of a fuck about if you tried but has her very animated, and has your response ever been a non committal "yeah I guess I can see what you're saying".

I've had it before. Maybe Letters can only guess what Mrs Letters feels because the matter was incredibly insignificant to her.
    Every situation is different. But the point is, the conversation between strangers on an anonymous forum is pointless. When someone is venting or ranting, it's usually one sided and not a conversation. I'm talking more so about situations where both of you are invested in something and have a different perspective. i.e watching the same film or tv show. Reading the same book or something online.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Delusions of Grandeur View Post
    I take that as no.

Nobody actually talking and just letting rip on the net is a problem. You're assuming none of the woman are concerned about this. Even if they aren't concerned, you clearly are since you make a point of it on here everyday. Do the people in your life know how you view things?
    Is that a serious question? Do you honestly think people can live in close proximity for years and not get some idea of how the people around them view the world? If anything, I'm too expressive when it comes to sharing my opinions. BUT, and this is the HUGE BUT, the very nature of my belief system means I am 100% perfectly happy with people having a different opinion. In fact it comforts me greatly to know that every other person on the planet doesn't agree with me on every issue. It's a subconscious comfort because, WTF, of course people don't fucking agree with everything I say.

Which brings us back to social justice warriors and where they fundamentally went wrong.
    Für eure Sicherheit

Herbert_Chapman's_Zombie
    Granted and of course 99% of the users on this board are male

we can however only draw from our own experience at the end of the day, but most women I know don't concern themselves with gender politics and it's not because they aren't academic enough to appreciate the arguments it's because they have far more pressing concerns.

Always seems interesting to me that people who happen to belong to a certain gender think they can speak for that entire gender. I certainly wouldn't have the conceit to suggest I speak for all men when I say I resent being told by third wave feminists that we are living in a misogynist dystopia and I should check my privilege.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Niall_Quinn View Post
    In fact it comforts me greatly to know that every other person on the planet doesn't agree with me on every issue.
    Me too!