User Tag List

Page 37 of 58 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast

Thread: Summer '21 transfer lunacy and overpayment

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't know if it means anything, but apparently Willian trained with the rest of the players on Sunday morning and was left out of the squad completely for the spurs game. No mention of illness or injury or imminent moves away - just not picked.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nah he's just shit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dazthegooner View Post
    Nah he's just shit.
    Even just that acknowledgement from the manager would be something.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seriously, where’s the goalkeeper signing? I can understand / forgive anything else that hasn’t happened, but this feels like we’re dicing with death now!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Arteta and Edu have had a disastrous transfer window and shown they're just not up to it

On one note though, it doesn't look like we've actually signed this new contract with Xhaka yet - is there any hope this is a clumsy bluff to force Roma's hand?

A new contract makes zero sense and for me the season's basically over before it's started with him in the side

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I am invisible View Post
    Don't know if it means anything, but apparently Willian trained with the rest of the players on Sunday morning and was left out of the squad completely for the spurs game. No mention of illness or injury or imminent moves away - just not picked.
    Give the guy a break. He is obviously pregnant. Baby due any moment. We wont see him back till January at the earliest
    Make 2mrw better than 2day

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Globalgunner View Post
    Give the guy a break. He is obviously pregnant. Baby due any moment. We wont see him back till January at the earliest
    I bet he's planning on comeing back already pregnant with the next one.
    Last edited by I am invisible; 11-08-2021 at 10:40 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mac76 View Post
    Arteta and Edu have had a disastrous transfer window and shown they're just not up to it

On one note though, it doesn't look like we've actually signed this new contract with Xhaka yet - is there any hope this is a clumsy bluff to force Roma's hand?

A new contract makes zero sense and for me the season's basically over before it's started with him in the side
    Transfers are on Edu - he's made it clear that he's the man you go through for all recruitment and contract matters. Arteta might help draw up the list of targets, but his responsibility is training the players, tactics and team selections.

I get the frustration - I want someone to rage at too because it feels like we're woefully unprepared for this season to start - but tbf I'm not sure how much you can really blame any of the current management team for how the window has gone? They've had their hands well and truly tied by previous regimes who have saddled us with a squad full of overpaid shit and, surprisingly, there's no market out there for them in a pandemic-devastated Europe. Our owners won't put their hands in their pockets and we have to free up space in the squad before we can add to it - that leaves us with very little room to manoeuvre. I think / hope we'll see some things start to happen as we get closer to the end of the window, but I'm starting to brace myself for maybe having to lose some of the players who we'd probably prefer to keep in order to land our key targets (not our best players, but not the unwanted crap either - I'm starting to look at in-betweeners like Willock, Holding, etc).

Unfortunately, I don't think we can just let Xhaka go for nothing - it looks like his replacement is going to need to be (at least partly) funded by his sale, so Roma's offer of a rubber band and a paperclip is no good to us. Unless someone comes in and meets the asking price that we need to achieve in order to fund his replacement he's more valuable to us as a player.

Much as I wanted him to move on (for symbolic reasons as much as anything else), he really is the least of my midfield worries. The fact is he was our best midfielder last year - that may be a sad fact, but it is still a fact - and him and Partey were actually a decent pairing on those rare occasions that Partey was available. Sure, we could raise the ceiling of our midfield by upgrading him, but the more pressing issue for me is that we desperately need to raise our floor. We can't roll into another season where the next available options are players like Elneny and Ceballos - that's what has really killed us. Looking on the positive side, Ceballos is gone, Lokonga looks the absolute business already, and there's been talk of keeping Azeez around the first team this year - personally, I'd rather make another CM signing and send Azeez out on loan for a full year of first team football, but anything that pushes Elneny further away from the starting XI is an improvement for me (love him, but he really is nothing more than an extra body on the pitch).
    Last edited by I am invisible; 11-08-2021 at 10:58 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    https://twitter.com/ChrisWheatley_/s...42040360407043

I like him. Seems expensive though.
    NOTE: The location of this post has been moved and the thread title (which was previously Wenger is Leaving) has been manipulated by a notorious pro-Wenger moderator. What was previously a message that contained no profanity and made a comment on a real life event has now been manipulated by a deliberately provocative title. An old and crude propaganda and censorship technique.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    These valuations are all just meaningless these days.