User Tag List

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Scezney really that good?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ach View Post
    Has looked average to me but ive seen enough for him not to be sold like the other 2 should be.

Keep him but as number 2 and get in a top quality keeper this summer
    Absolutely. This is just common sense. If we're going to seriously challenge then we need to be strong all over the pitch. There are threads suggesting we give Chamakh another season, give Wenger another season, get along with the CBs we already have, and also give a rookie the #1 shirt. These collective weak points add up. Maybe you can carry one weakness in the team, even two if the team as a whole is good enough (which we aren't), but several fundamental weaknesses? We all know what happens when you do that, we've seen it. I'm not referring to Chesney's ability as a weakness, merely his lack of experience. He plays in such a crucial position, he needs to do his time like any keeper who ever made it to the top. Bear in mind, we'll probably be partially carrying two rookies in the engine room as well, Wilshere and Ramsey. Fine players both but again, where's the experience?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd like us to buy Manuel Neuer and he and Szezney can battle it out for number 1, Fabianski can be back-up.
    “Other clubs never came into my thoughts once I knew Arsenal wanted to sign me.” Dennis Bergkamp
    "I started clapping myself until I realized that i was sunderland's manager". Peter Reid
    "Happy those, who can remain at Highbury." Jane Austen, Emma

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Normally I'd agree with favouring experience but in the case of Chezza I really think he's ready now to nail down the number 1 spot for many years to come. I'd even say if we did buy a highly rated keeper, Chesney would have no qualms about leaving such is the character of the guy. Do we really want to risk losing him?

It's important to have a hierarchy though in the squad, players need to be put in their position, disciplined and have older heads to learn from. Most of these players wouldn't last one second if we had the likes of Bould, Adams, Keown, Parlour etc in their pomps here.

Instead we have a bunch of pretenders who think they're awesome and don't have anyone to tell them otherwise, when the reality is most of them have achieved nothing to date in their careers and probably aren't even respected by the majority of GHEL's that make up the Premier League.
    Last edited by Marc Overmars; 24-05-2011 at 12:36 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chesney 1st, Fabianski 2nd, Lehmann 3rd.

Think that he's good enough, just needs a solid defense in front of him. Lehmann can act as a goalkeeping coach and backup as ours seem to suck. Almunia should be flogged to some 3rd division side.

The King Is Back.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i think if Chesney were to be dropped in favour of a better keeper like nueuer etc, it would cause more harm to him then good. in his mind he believes he is the best in the world, yet unlike bentner he keeps that to himself! dropping him after what has been a dam good debut season in my mind, there have been some games where he has kept us in it, like spuds, even the barca home game! if he were dropped, he would want to leave, remember what he was like earlier in the season! if he were number 1 for the start of the season, fucked up a bit and was dropped for he would fight back, but dropping him now would do more harm i think

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, he's going to make mistakes, and yes he is young....but every keeper will make a certain amount of errors per year. He won't do an Almunia. They guy has enough bloocks to be able to shake things like that off, and it won't destroy his confidence like it does Gomez, Green and Almunia.

We need strong personality, and he will only get better and better this lad.

And I think you'd find a keeper with a stronger defensive unit in front of him would do miles better, whoever you had between the sticks.
    It's better to burn out, than to fade away.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boss View Post
    Chesney 1st, Fabianski 2nd, Lehmann 3rd.

Think that he's good enough, just needs a solid defense in front of him. Lehmann can act as a goalkeeping coach and backup as ours seem to suck. Almunia should be flogged to some 3rd division side.
    not so much, nothing wrong with the coaches, you cant coach someone not to be a spaz.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LDG View Post
    Yes, he's going to make mistakes, and yes he is young....but every keeper will make a certain amount of errors per year. He won't do an Almunia. They guy has enough bloocks to be able to shake things like that off, and it won't destroy his confidence like it does Gomez, Green and Almunia.

We need strong personality, and he will only get better and better this lad.

And I think you'd find a keeper with a stronger defensive unit in front of him would do miles better, whoever you had between the sticks.
    Depends if we are serious about mounting a chellenge next year or not. If we're simply chasing a top 4 finish as normal then we could probably afford to carry Chesney as he learns his trade. If something wierd happens and we decide to compete, we'll need a top keeper.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Niall_Quinn View Post
    Depends if we are serious about mounting a chellenge next year or not. If we're simply chasing a top 4 finish as normal then we could probably afford to carry Chesney as he learns his trade. If something wierd happens and we decide to compete, we'll need a top keeper.
    “Other clubs never came into my thoughts once I knew Arsenal wanted to sign me.” Dennis Bergkamp
    "I started clapping myself until I realized that i was sunderland's manager". Peter Reid
    "Happy those, who can remain at Highbury." Jane Austen, Emma

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If we don't 'carry' Chesney we'll be carrying someone else anyway.

It's unrealistic talking about the likes of Neuer and other world class names. We need three or four other players including a striker, a midfielder(or two if Cesc leaves) and a CB. There's even a case for buying a new wide man especially if Arshavin goes. We can't afford to buy top players in all those positions and all of the proven keepers would take a HUGE chunk of the transfer kitty.

On top of that MO is dead right about the possibility of Chesney leaving if he is pushed back to 2nd place again. He even threatened to do so himself earlier this season!

Keep the faith in Chesney and keep a wise head like Jens in the squad or coaching staff to keep him in check.