User Tag List

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Is "Chav" an offensive term?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is really interesting to view the difference in the words used to describe the two actions: Welfare fraud and tax evasion. In both situations, the government (and ultimately the tax payer) is having money stolen. But only in the former case is it considered a crime. In the latter, it is accepted to be good tax payer practice.
    Isn't that because in the former case it IS a crime and in the latter it is exploiting a loophole legally?
    Loopholes should be closed to stop that going on of course but while it's legal you can't really blame people for doing it if they can.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toronto Gooner View Post
    Absolutely correct, GB. My mother used to be a tax officer with the Inland Revenue, and everyone there knew that the overall tax rates could be dropped substantially if everyone paid their proper taxes. However, it is a classic example of the Prisoner's Dilemma from game theory. It is really interesting to view the difference in the words used to describe the two actions: Welfare fraud and tax evasion. In both situations, the government (and ultimately the tax payer) is having money stolen. But only in the former case is it considered a crime. In the latter, it is accepted to be good tax payer practice.

Going back to the term "chav", it seems to me, having read the comments here, that the term has morphed into a much broader concept. I always thought that it was a derogatory term applied to people from the working/chattering/lower class who by dint of having money pretended to be "higher class" by frequenting the higher classes establishments whilst still retaining the mentality, mannerisms and accent of their "upbringing".
    I think your definition is a newer one, "working class done good" sort of thing.

I think, originally, chav or townie or scally or whatever was used, was just meant as the scum who wore certain clothes and behaved in certain ways.
    "Despair is a narcotic. It lulls the mind into indifference."

Cheer up. Join the Mindless Optimism Clique™ today! GW's Premier Clique.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters (TPFKA WWTL@WHL) View Post
    I'm not sure there's any hypocricy. People were up in arms about MP's expenses too.
    And, again, it's simplistic to say it's benefit claiments who are being demonised, it's people claiming fraudulently and people who claim as a lifestyle choice as opposed to people genuinely seeking work or unable to work.

Obviously tax evasion should be tackled across the board too. Tax avoidance should be tackled by closing loopholes which let it go on.
    I meant the hypocracy of the MPs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Isn't that because in the former case it IS a crime and in the latter it is exploiting a loophole legally?
    Loopholes should be closed to stop that going on of course but while it's legal you can't really blame people for doing it if they can.
    The latter is a crime.

Avoidance - exploiting loopholes and/or making full use of allowances is not.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you being serious?? You can't blame them for doing it cos it's a loophole. Yes you can blame them, it's called personal consience. It's wrong. Love to know where your religious beliefs slot into this! lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While some tax evasion can involve loopholes, I think that lot of it involves plain old fraud such as payment in cash, etc.
    While all answers are responses, not all responses are answers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chrissie View Post
    Are you being serious?? You can't blame them for doing it cos it's a loophole. Yes you can blame them, it's called personal consience. It's wrong. Love to know where your religious beliefs slot into this! lol
    Not saying this about Letters, but I find the most vociferous Christians to be the least Christian people to walk the earth.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GB. View Post
    Not saying this about Letters, but I find the most vociferous Christians to be the least Christian people to walk the earth.
    You can have a hug even if you don't want one LOL!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chrissie View Post
    You can have a hug even if you don't want one LOL!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toronto Gooner View Post
    While some tax evasion can involve loopholes, I think that lot of it involves plain old fraud such as payment in cash, etc.
    Yes, sorry. I mixed up evasion with avoidance.