User Tag List

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: What has happened to our football?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ice Berg Kamping View Post
    PS - It would be a great commercial idea, wouldn;t it - all those disaffected football fans out there get to se what life is really like for a bit...
    I choose to swap with QPR just to see the look on our players faces when a snarling, cup throwing, foul mouthed, throat grabbing Neal Warnock starts tearing into them for not tracking back or looking half arsed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lol the russian meerkat would just burrow himself a new hole near the corner flag til the big bad warnock went away

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I watched QPR last night and they played some good stuff, he is certainly a lot less punt and chase than at the blades and county.

Also Taarabt is quality

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ice Berg Kamping View Post
    PS - It would be a great commercial idea, wouldn;t it - all those disaffected football fans out there get to se what life is really like for a bit...
    I'd quite happily do it for their salary, and they can have a go at getting by on mine.
    If you don’t send this signature to ten people, you will become a Spurs fan.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GB. View Post
    I'd quite happily do it for their salary, and they can have a go at getting by on mine.
    You still on a pound an hour picking "tayto's"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What happened, I don't know what, but it sucks ass

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pace!

I do believe that the main reason our style of play has wilted is due to pace, or lack thereof. We released two players over the summer who were exceptiona runners in Eboue and Clichy. Both very error prone, granted, but their pace was ALWAYS going to cause a problem for opposition defences.

Now, this is the point that has been re-iterated time and time again on this board. If Clichy or Eboue ARE going to run at defences, who on earth is going to catch up with them from OUR team? Who are they going to pass to? Who are they going to cross to? Watching Man City last night, Clichy looked like a completely different player. Of course, looks can be deceiving because, on the face of it, he didn't do too much more than he did with us. However, it's when he puts IN a cross at City that there is someone who threatens to attack it. At Arsenal, playing this 4-6-0 formation meant Clichy would have to drag play back, wait for a player to come into the box, at which point the opposition would also get numbers back.

The only real threat we have in terms of pace now is Walcott who, as someone mentioned, is far more effective running ONTO the ball than with the ball. How we're going to incorporate such play into this stale formation is beyond me and, if the only outlet for attacking play we're going to have is Theo, is will eventually be so very easy to defend for opposing teams.
    Formerly TMOKJ

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    3-5-2 would solve our problems and make the system more relevant to the team IMO. Do we have any actual wingers in our team? Arshavin, Gervinho and Walcott have all looked better when played more centrally and Gibbs (And i would hazard Andy 2 saints) are far better attacking than Defending Sagna is also capable of getting up and down and providing at both ends. The central defenders we have arent the fastest either so play a deeper line with one stepping forward to anchor the midfield when SongPong disappear off up the pitch on a little jaunt.

Like this...

-------------------hnefcugbeuhycb cuxw2q----------------

---------Kos------------Meatpacker---------Vermaelen-----

--Sagna------------------------------------------2 Saints------

-------------Ramsey------Song---------Arteta/Wilshere-----

---------------------------------RvP------------

-------------Whoever----------------------------

Play it with pace and pressing in midfield and upfront and Robert is your mothers brother

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jeez, 3 in defence, Flavs....that brings on a cold sweat!

I can see where you're coming from, though. There needs to be something done dramatically. That midfield 3 you've shown- great, hardworking and echoes of Vieira, Edu and Parlour.

RvP in a Bergkamp-esque role. That's good, he'd be a great playmaker, but he also happens to be our best attacking outlet at the moment. The chap we rely on to score goals (that, in itself, is wrong. To depend on one player is too much and in all likelihood he could pack his bags and be off in the summer leaving us in desperate trouble)

What I'd love is for such a formation with almost exactly the same personnel you've shown to be incorporated against (with all due respect) the lesser teams. Such a formation would've pummeled Swansea, and not pussyfooted around them.

Alas, it all seems to be in vain. These threads on how "we can change our style of play" are now just as outlandish as "who are we going to sign". An attacking formation seems just as far away as bringing in Lionel Messi at present.
    Formerly TMOKJ

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernesto View Post
    Jeez, 3 in defence, Flavs....that brings on a cold sweat!
    Well no, when we dont have the ball it would be 5 as the wing backs move back square and one of the centre backs moves a little forward so it ends up like this

--------------------------------------nijbub2ibf2bnhfdw--------------------

------------------------------Meatpacker-------------Vermaelen------------
    ----------Sagna------------------------------Kos------------------------2 Saints----

And then with the midfield and forwards dropping into to press its more solid than our free for all at the moment, would love Wenger to just ditch this bollox we currently play and try something completely new.

David Dein oncer described Wenger as "A man who would fly around the world to see a new trick or tactic" well unless his passport has been revoked this is a lie