Page 412 of 451 FirstFirst ... 312362402410411412413414422 ... LastLast
Results 4,111 to 4,120 of 4504

Thread: The Wish They Were All Dead Tory Cunt Thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HCZ_Reborn View Post
    So looking at England as this outlier, this rainy Fascist island as many disaffected liberals are prone to do actually betrays a deep ignorance for what’s going on, on the continent
    The thing is if you look at UK voting patterns in general, most people don't vote for right-wing parties, but our skewed electoral dictatorship puts a bunch of cunts in charge voted for by the minority and lets them do what they like

So under our current system I'd rather at least some of the regulatinos and laws were retained at EU level (in which we did of course have an equal say, contrary to the 'Them foreigners are doing things to us' myth) so the Tories can't get hold of them

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mac76 View Post
    The thing is if you look at UK voting patterns in general, most people don't vote for right-wing parties, but our skewed electoral dictatorship puts a bunch of cunts in charge voted for by the minority and lets them do what they like

So under our current system I'd rather at least some of the regulatinos and laws were retained at EU level (in which we did of course have an equal say, contrary to the 'Them foreigners are doing things to us' myth) so the Tories can't get hold of them
    I’m inclined to say balls to electoral change, I voted for AV back in 2011 because I liked the idea that every elected parliamentarian had to meet a threshold of 50% but beyond that. It only works in Germany because it’s a federal system, and it notoriously creates unstable governments and gives a platform to the very populist authoritarians that our system currently prevents.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-65891838

There is one alternative, which is to not raise interest rates

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-65891838

There is one alternative, which is to not raise interest rates
    It’s weird that Hunt has come out and said this, given that he has no say over interest rates. That said I’m sorry to say this to home owners but hiking interest rates has been long overdue….and the BOE to my mind have been massively over cautious in approaching this.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That said I’m sorry to say this to home owners but hiking interest rates has been long overdue….and the BOE to my mind have been massively over cautious in approaching this.
    Well, there is something in that. We have had a pretty charmed life over the last decade when it comes to interest rates.
    But.
    I don't see how raising them like this will reduce inflation. I'm sure I've said this before. I definitely have, but on hear I mean.
    The idea is that higher interest rates makes people more likely to save and less likely to borrow money. And it means people are spending more on stuff like mortgages, so have less spare money. That lowers demand which lowers prices. Right? So inflation goes down.
    But. Inflation right now is being driven by things like the Ukraine situation and increasing fuel and food prices. People aren't spending all their spare money on yachts, they're struggling to heat their homes and feed their kids.
    Raising inflation isn't going to control that, it's just going to give people who are already struggling another kick in the nuts.

I speak as someone who officially doesn't know what they're talking about, having got a D in Economics
    So if someone could explain what I've got wrong.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post
    Well, there is something in that. We have had a pretty charmed life over the last decade when it comes to interest rates.
    But.
    I don't see how raising them like this will reduce inflation. I'm sure I've said this before. I definitely have, but on hear I mean.
    The idea is that higher interest rates makes people more likely to save and less likely to borrow money. And it means people are spending more on stuff like mortgages, so have less spare money. That lowers demand which lowers prices. Right? So inflation goes down.
    But. Inflation right now is being driven by things like the Ukraine situation and increasing fuel and food prices. People aren't spending all their spare money on yachts, they're struggling to heat their homes and feed their kids.
    Raising inflation isn't going to control that, it's just going to give people who are already struggling another kick in the nuts.

I speak as someone who officially doesn't know what they're talking about, having got a D in Economics
    So if someone could explain what I've got wrong.

The thing is even those who say they are having to economise have some level of disposable income to buy anything from a Friday night takeaway to a new electronic gadget. The price of food especially has gone up considerably and if people don’t buy these non essentials the retailer has no option but to lower the asking price in order to encourage said purchase

Now of course the knock on effect is that this affects the overheads especially of small businesses and then they end up having to either close or do less business. But will maybe stop certain businesses deliberately price gouging

Of course this is all theoretical, much in the inverse way QE is meant to stimulate economic growth.

As the article states that variable rate mortgages and other stuff tends to make it less clear cut

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    90 days
    You used to be everything to me
    Now you're tired of fighting

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lock him up!
    NOTE: The location of this post has been moved and the thread title (which was previously Wenger is Leaving) has been manipulated by a notorious pro-Wenger moderator. What was previously a message that contained no profanity and made a comment on a real life event has now been manipulated by a deliberately provocative title. An old and crude propaganda and censorship technique.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I watched some of the committee and it was ridiculous, dancing on the head of a pin trying to justify his claim that he did not knowingly mislead parliament when it’s abundantly clear had further evidence not come out he would have claimed that gatherings didn’t happen at all.

I know people who lost family members during lockdown either due to Covid or because of Covid rules they couldn’t say goodbye

Fortunate in that regard myself, I didn’t get it till 2022 and it was only mild symptoms (though didn’t shift for almost a fortnight)

But when you are making the biggest restrictions on peoples freedom of movement and association since the Second World War and you disregard those rules yourself, it shows you’re an utter tosser.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I watched some of the committee and it was ridiculous, dancing on the head of a pin trying to justify his claim that he did not knowingly mislead parliament when it’s abundantly clear had further evidence not come out he would have claimed that gatherings didn’t happen at all.

I know people who lost family members during lockdown either due to Covid or because of Covid rules they couldn’t say goodbye

Fortunate in that regard myself, I didn’t get it till 2022 and it was only mild symptoms (though didn’t shift for almost a fortnight)

But when you are making the biggest restrictions on peoples freedom of movement and association since the Second World War and you disregard those rules yourself, it shows you’re an utter tosser.
    Is any of this a surprise? He's grown up in this Eton bubble believing that rules don't apply to him, he has a divine right to rule and that there are no consequences to his actions.
    And until recently he's been proven depressingly correct. I mean, he has been sacked from other jobs for lying but then became mayor of London and then PM

This is famously from one of his school reports

“Boris really has adopted a disgracefully cavalier attitude to his classical studies. [He] sometimes seems affronted when criticised for what amounts to a gross failure of responsibility (and surprised at the same time that he was not appointed Captain of the school for the next half).
    I think he honestly believes that it is churlish of us not to regard him as an exception, one who should be free of the network of obligation that binds everyone else."

He has always been like this, he will always be like this. But at least finally there has been some consequence.