User Tag List

Page 42 of 43 FirstFirst ... 3240414243 LastLast

Thread: Jamie Vardy - BBC Sport - Vardy set to reject Arsenal

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by selassie View Post
    It's an advantage but I'm not so sure AW is flexible enough with his player valuations to take advantage of our position. I get the impression that he doesn't see a striker as a priority, well not in the sense of him having to spend the required money to bring a decent one in.
    Oh it's a priority for him alright! Whatever he might say about having faith in Giroud / Walcott / Welbeck / etc, the fact is he's gone after a striker every summer for the last 3 or 4 years. I suppose his personal valuations could be hindering some deals, but I suspect the explanation is a lot simpler than that: it's just a shitty time to be buying strikers right now. Not much on the market to begin with, loads of competition for whatever is there, and 90% of them probably won't solve any problem for us.

To be honest, I've never had any problem with Wenger's valuations - I think he's generally proved right on most of them. Where I have an issue with him is that he often seems to have no cheaper alternatives lined up - if he can't get his man, then he'd rather go into the season with a gaping hole in the squad than take a more pragmatic approach...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I am invisible View Post
    Oh it's a priority for him alright! Whatever he might say about having faith in Giroud / Walcott / Welbeck / etc, the fact is he's gone after a striker every summer for the last 3 or 4 years. I suppose his personal valuations could be hindering some deals, but I suspect the explanation is a lot simpler than that: it's just a shitty time to be buying strikers right now. Not much on the market to begin with, loads of competition for whatever is there, and 90% of them probably won't solve any problem for us.
    this is true

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not for the first time, I really wonder what our media team does all day. We have been behind the story at every stage with this Vardy bollocks. If we knew he was 50/50 at best, we should have been pushing out stories about interest in other striker options left, right and centre, i.e. a distraction strategy projecting the fact that we have many other options to pursue. As it is, complete silence, and we end up looking like the ugly kid nobody wants to invite to the prom.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hear Kallstrom and Bischoff are available for a decent fee. Definitely worth a punt.
    Arsene Wenger, the only football manager that got paid 8 million quid to do nothing but sit on his arse..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RomfordPele View Post
    Not for the first time, I really wonder what our media team does all day. We have been behind the story at every stage with this Vardy bollocks. If we knew he was 50/50 at best, we should have been pushing out stories about interest in other striker options left, right and centre, i.e. a distraction strategy projecting the fact that we have many other options to pursue. As it is, complete silence, and we end up looking like the ugly kid nobody wants to invite to the prom.
    I have observed that the club tends to do a lot of its transfer discussions and negotiations behind closed doors, away from the glare of the media. This makes it difficult for fans to know what is going on , and easy for agents (and players) to use alleged Arsenal interest to boost their negotiating position. Also, I suspect that the more a possible transfer is in the public forum, the more the price of a player goes up; often in excess of the actual value of the player.

Personally, I do not want to see the club take to the airwaves and social media while trying to buy a player.
    While all answers are responses, not all responses are answers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Özim View Post
    He won't though we all know that, he's as cheap as they come, that's why we went for Vardy only 20 million, it was an opportunistic attempt to get someone on the cheap.
    From what was written in the media, Vardy's release clause had a price of £20 million. To pay more than that would be akin to you paying £40,000 for a car with a retail price of £20,000. A lower transfer price would allow the club to pay the player more.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kano View Post
    Griezmann signs new deal with Ateltico.

We should make an offer.
    Pretty much everything I read said that Griezmann did not want to move. He is an exciting prospect, but I do not think that there was a realistic chance to get him.

Selling optimism to fools KSE Comedy Club's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Globalgunner View Post
    I`ll judge him at the end of next season.
    I'll judge him when he says I am allowed to

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toronto Gooner View Post
    I have observed that the club tends to do a lot of its transfer discussions and negotiations behind closed doors, away from the glare of the media. This makes it difficult for fans to know what is going on , and easy for agents (and players) to use alleged Arsenal interest to boost their negotiating position. Also, I suspect that the more a possible transfer is in the public forum, the more the price of a player goes up; often in excess of the actual value of the player.

Personally, I do not want to see the club take to the airwaves and social media while trying to buy a player.
    Or we do no negotiations behnd closed doors and sit there whilst other clubs snap up players we should be signing up and we end up with nothing but at the end of the transfer window.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toronto Gooner View Post
    Pretty much everything I read said that Griezmann did not want to move. He is an exciting prospect, but I do not think that there was a realistic chance to get him.
    If you don't try you'll never know and we never try, plenty of players have in the past said they didn't want to move but soon found themselves at another club a few weeks later.